karate monkey frame



Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joseph S.

Guest
I'm looking to put together a hybrid sort of bike for my wife. The karate monkey frame by Surly
looks interesting but I'm curious about the straight blade fork. Is this of any consequence
regarding handling or are the curves just a visual thing. Thanks Joe S.
 
J

Jon Bond

Guest
"Joseph S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking to put together a hybrid sort of bike for my wife. The karate monkey frame by Surly
> looks interesting but I'm curious about the straight blade fork. Is this of any consequence
> regarding handling or are the
curves
> just a visual thing. Thanks Joe S.

Don't worry about the fork - it's pretty damn robust. However, the frame is designed for a 29"
singlespeed mountain bike, not a hybrid bike. Just so you're aware. Seems like overkill to me,
unless she plans on using it for some singletrack cruisin' too. As its a singlespeed, she might
prefer something with some gears for general road + path riding.

Also, IIRC, there's a pretty long wait to get the frameset - they're in really high demand.

Jon Bond
 
D

David

Guest
"Joseph S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking to put together a hybrid sort of bike for my wife. The karate monkey frame by Surly
> looks interesting but I'm curious about the straight blade fork. Is this of any consequence
> regarding handling or are the curves just a visual thing.

The handling is affected by the location of the wheel relative to the steering axis, and by the
distance from the axle to the crown. Doesn't really matter if the fork is straight or curved.

David
 
S

Sheldon Brown

Guest
Joseph S. wrote:
> I'm looking to put together a hybrid sort of bike for my wife. The karate monkey frame by Surly
> looks interesting but I'm curious about the straight blade fork. Is this of any consequence
> regarding handling or are the curves just a visual thing.

It is, indeed butt-ugly, but has no effect on the handling.

Sheldon "Likes Straight Frame Tubes, But Curved Fork Blades" Brown
+-------------------------------------------------------+
| Le beau est aussi utile que l'utile --Victor Hugo | (The beautiful is as useful as the useful) |
+-------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com
 
B

Bluto

Guest
"Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Joseph S." <[email protected]> wrote:

> > I'm looking to put together a hybrid sort of bike for my wife. The karate monkey frame by Surly
> > looks interesting
>
> However, the frame is designed for a 29" singlespeed mountain bike, not a hybrid bike. Just so
> you're aware. Seems like overkill to me, unless she plans on using it for some singletrack
> cruisin' too. As its a singlespeed, she might prefer something with some gears for general road +
> path riding.

Being able to fit 2"+ knobby tires means being able to fit 2"+ street slicks, or being able to fit
700x47 tires with fenders. That doesn't seem like overkill, just choices.

The Karate Monkey has horizontal rear fork ends but with a deraiileur hanger. Meaning it can be run
single-speed, fixed, gearhub, or derailleur equipped. It's way more versatile than a regular hybrid,
no matter the intended use.

Chalo Colina
 
R

Robin Hubert

Guest
A

Alex Rodriguez

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

>I'm looking to put together a hybrid sort of bike for my wife. The karate monkey frame by Surly
>looks interesting but I'm curious about the straight blade fork. Is this of any consequence
>regarding handling or are the curves just a visual thing.

Looks.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)
 
T

Top Sirloin

Guest
On Thu, 22 May 2003 14:51:11 GMT, "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Otto" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> On 21 May 2003 21:20:59 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> >
>> > That's not overkill. THIS is overkill: http://www.vanillabicycles.com/vanilla_mountain.html
>> >
>>
>> Urgh... check this out:
>>
>> http://www.vanillabicycles.com/vanilla_road.html
>>
>> Is it me, or is this incredibly, incredibly gay?
>
>Alittle gay, but this http://www.vanillabicycles.com/photo/road18.jpg is incredibly gay.

This one makes up for the others though:

http://www.vanillabicycles.com/vanilla_commuter.html

--
Scott Johnson "Always with the excuses for small legs. People like you are why they only open the
top half of caskets." -Tommy Bowen
 
O

Otto

Guest
On Thu, 22 May 2003 13:51:30 -0400, [email protected] wrote:
> On Thu, 22 May 2003 14:51:11 GMT, "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>"Otto" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>> On 21 May 2003 21:20:59 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>>>
>>> >
>>> > That's not overkill. THIS is overkill: http://www.vanillabicycles.com/vanilla_mountain.html
>>> >
>>>
>>> Urgh... check this out:
>>>
>>> http://www.vanillabicycles.com/vanilla_road.html
>>>
>>> Is it me, or is this incredibly, incredibly gay?
>>
>>Alittle gay, but this http://www.vanillabicycles.com/photo/road18.jpg is incredibly gay.
>
> This one makes up for the others though:
>
> http://www.vanillabicycles.com/vanilla_commuter.html
>
>

Does anyone know if their frames are any good?
 
D

David L. Johnso

Guest
On Wed, 21 May 2003 21:20:59 +0000, Jeff Wills wrote:

> That's not overkill. THIS is overkill: http://www.vanillabicycles.com/vanilla_mountain.html

Speaking of overkill, that bike has both horizontal fork-ends (with adjustment screws) and an
eccentric in the bottom bracket, to really allow fine adjusments in chain tension, I guess....

--

David L. Johnson

__o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but _`\(,_ | what canst thou say?
-- George Fox. (_)/ (_) |
 
J

Jon Bond

Guest
"David L. Johnson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 21 May 2003 21:20:59 +0000, Jeff Wills wrote:
>
> > That's not overkill. THIS is overkill: http://www.vanillabicycles.com/vanilla_mountain.html
>
> Speaking of overkill, that bike has both horizontal fork-ends (with adjustment screws) and an
> eccentric in the bottom bracket, to really allow fine adjusments in chain tension, I guess....
>
> --
>
> David L. Johnson
>
> __o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but _`\(,_ | what canst thou
> say? -- George Fox. (_)/ (_) |

Might want to check your monitor. The silver bike has an EBB, the gold one has horizontal fork ends.

Jon Bond
 
A

A Muzi

Guest
> > On 21 May 2003 21:20:59 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
> > > That's not overkill. THIS is overkill: http://www.vanillabicycles.com/vanilla_mountain.html

> "Otto" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Urgh... check this out: http://www.vanillabicycles.com/vanilla_road.html Is it me, or is this
> > incredibly, incredibly gay?

"Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Alittle gay, but this http://www.vanillabicycles.com/photo/road18.jpg is incredibly gay.

Well, I suppose you guys would be experts on that.

--
Andrew Muzi, who would have use d the word "lame", offending the cripples instead
http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971
 
O

Otto

Guest
On Fri, 23 May 2003 03:03:41 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>> > That's not overkill. THIS is overkill: http://www.vanillabicycles.com/vanilla_mountain.html
>>
>> Speaking of overkill, that bike has both horizontal fork-ends (with adjustment screws) and an
>> eccentric in the bottom bracket, to really allow fine adjusments in chain tension, I guess....

>
> Might want to check your monitor. The silver bike has an EBB, the gold one has horizontal
> fork ends.
>

What could be a legitimate reason for an eccentric bottom bracket? I've never seen one before.
 
J

Jon Bond

Guest
"Otto" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 23 May 2003 03:03:41 GMT, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >> > That's not overkill. THIS is overkill: http://www.vanillabicycles.com/vanilla_mountain.html
> >>
> >> Speaking of overkill, that bike has both horizontal fork-ends (with adjustment screws) and an
> >> eccentric in the bottom bracket, to really
allow
> >> fine adjusments in chain tension, I guess....
>
> >
> > Might want to check your monitor. The silver bike has an EBB, the gold
one
> > has horizontal fork ends.
> >
>
> What could be a legitimate reason for an eccentric bottom bracket? I've never seen one before.

Singlespeed bikes. It allows you to run the bike without another chain tensioner, as you've got the
difference in BB-dropout lengths to play with. While it is heavier and a little more complicated
than horizontal dropouts, it also lets you use disc brakes with absolutely no fuss, and even if
you're using rim brakes, if you change gear ratios, you don't have to readjust your brakes at the
same time.

They're a little heavier, but not too much, surprisingly. If I got a SS, that'd probably be the
way I went.

Jon Bond
 
A

A Muzi

Guest
-snip vanilla-

"Otto" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> What could be a legitimate reason for an eccentric bottom bracket? I've never seen one before.

Of late, normal horizontal ends have become suddenly unfashionable. Unfortunatley single speed
setups have also suddenly become fashionable.

What's that you say? Just braze in new ends for about $85? Sorry, steel isn't fashionable, aluminum
is. So there is a nascent industry to serve the market with eccentric BBshells, eccentric hub axles
and Rube Goldberg-esque chain tensioners (spoiling the clean aesthetic of a single speed, IMHO) all
to serve those who eschew normal horizontal ends.

The last couple of years it was all mid-1908s Japanese sport bike frames from thrift stores with new
fixed rear wheels. Total bike build budget $200~$250 Now it's hundreds of dollars of gee-gaws to get
the same result. Technically, nothing wrong with that, and one might argue that a vertical end with
eccentric is even superior in some aspects. It just all seems foreign to me.
--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971
 
T

Ted Bennett

Guest
> The last couple of years it was all mid-1908s Japanese sport bike frames from thrift stores with
> new fixed rear wheels. Total bike build budget $200~$250 Now it's hundreds of dollars of gee-gaws
> to get the same result. Technically, nothing wrong with that, and one might argue that a vertical
> end with eccentric is even superior in some aspects. It just all seems foreign to me.
> --
> Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org

Andy, to be really cool and quite up to date one must have a disc brake, which is simpler with a
vertical dropout. Yes I recognize the lunacy of a rear disc on a bike which is a fixie.

If horizontal is what it must be, then if the slot opens at the front rather than the rear life will
be easier. My latest project sports two left Campy 1010s. Works a treat (thanks Sheldon). I have a
pic if anyone is curious.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR
 
J

Jeff Wills

Guest
"Otto" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <snip>
> > This one makes up for the others though:
> >
> > http://www.vanillabicycles.com/vanilla_commuter.html
> >
> >
>
> Does anyone know if their frames are any good?

I refuse to answer due to the fact that I may compromise my status as an irrefutable font of
wisdom. :)

Besides, Sacha White's (dba Vanilla) a cool dude and shares shop space with a couple of friends who
are off the deep end in terms of cycle design: http://www.terracycle.com and
http://www.stitesdesign.com/ .

Jeff
 
A

Ant

Guest
Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> If horizontal is what it must be, then if the slot opens at the front rather than the rear life
> will be easier. My latest project sports two left Campy 1010s. Works a treat (thanks Sheldon). I
> have a pic if anyone is curious.

i am curious. dont dropouts come pre-bent generally, to get the tabs leaving the dropout at the
generally right angle? instead of buying two lefts, i ground the eyelets, derailleur tab, etc off my
own pair when i still thoguht i was going to need 'em. (five minutes with a bench grinder and a good
file). pic at http://pantheon.yale.edu/~aaa37/portfolio/bikes/framebuild/dropouts.jpg

if i bought two lefts, i would have some serious and ugly rebending to do to get these dropouts into
the correct orientation. these are forged horizontals from the QBP.

anthony
 
Status
Not open for further replies.