Karel Mintjens bike... where to begin?

yoothgeye

Aug 25, 2010
OK, so I've always wanted a road bike, and I got a chance to get one. A guy in my church told me about this special bike he had. He use to participate in bike races and triathalons, in one specific race he was on a mountain bike he had just bought. A Belgian racer came up beside him pointing at his bike. After the race this guy, Mintjens, explained that the mountain bike craze hadn't made it to Belgium yet and he wanted his bike so he could take it home and use it as a template to build mountain bikes. He offered his hand made race bike in trade, and that's the bike you see below.

The bike has tires that glue on or something, I didn't have my presta valve adapter so I ran the bike by my LBS and the promptly blew out the tire with their compressor, the tires are pretty dry rotten anyway. Then they searched for tires and told me they are over $100 a piece. I really want to reuse these rims, but would have to sell one of my kids to get tires unless I can find some different information.

Anyway, the pictures should tell the story...

mint01.jpg

mint02.jpg

mint03.jpg

mint04.jpg

mint05.jpg

mint06.jpg

mint07.jpg

mint08.jpg

mint10.jpg

mint11.jpg

mint12.jpg

mint13.jpg

mint14.jpg

mint15.jpg

First, it's criminal what the previous owner let happen to that Nuovo Record group on the bike. He'll never be allowed into Italy. The customs people will have their eyes out for him, what with the perversities that he let befall those Campagnolo components.

The tires are called tubular tires, and yes, they have to be glued to the rim. Your local bike shop, though, is painfully ignorant when it comes to prices for such things. Tubular tires can be had for a lot less than $100/tire. There are plenty of places online that sell 'em.

I have been looking around and have found tires as cheap as $26 each, sure I would go cheaper, I've never owned a road bike, so if I start out cheap on tires I'll never know what I'm missing, and I can always upgrade.

The bike is very cleanable. A little vinegar, dish detergent, grease, and TLC.

Thanks for sharing the story behind your bike and the pictures. Post so more when you have it all cleaned up with your new tires.

Looks like I'm going to save some money to buy some tires at about $26 each unless I can find a bike shop with some that will glue them for me. I do need to research the Wolber rims to see if they need any special attention when it comes to tires.

yoothgeye said:
Looks like I'm going to save some money to buy some tires at about $26 each unless I can find a bike shop with some that will glue them for me. I do need to research the Wolber rims to see if they need any special attention when it comes to tires.
Nice old bike. I'm glad you're planning to ride it.

Don't sweat the Wolber rims. Wolber made fine rims. Just clean them up (remove old glue with solvent--I like Goof-off) and find a web site for instructions on gluing tubulars. I'm sure Sheldon Brown has an article on it.