Karrimor, bust and bought

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:55:41 +0000, Simon Caldwell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Well both Terra Nova and Macpac seem to take it to be my life.

Right ... good on them ... that means if my son who is 15 buys a pack and then lives to 80, is going
to covered by warranty for 65 years?

Maybe I should get him to be purchaser then.

Andrew

http://aushiker.com - Aushiker: Hiking in Western Australia 2003 Bibbulmun Track End to Ender
President, Perth Bushwalkers Club - http://www.perthbushwalkers.asn.au

>>This is very, very common: I don't think it's fair to single out Karrimor as being bad. In fact I
>>think the "lifetime warranty is the most common one out there, and they specifically state that
>>the warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship over the working life of the product.
>>Stitching coming adrift after 10 years is wear and tear, not bad stitching.
>
> That seams reasonable to me. Surly folks don't assume the life warranty of a product is their
> life? I think that is stretching the link a bit.

Don't know about surly folk, but we cheerful dudes were sold our Karrimor Jaguars on the
understanding that the "gold seal" guarantee covered all faults, without exception, forever. We
were also told "you can take a knife to it anytime in the first year and they'll replace it
without a quibble" . I didn't try that but Karrimor did fix it for free around its tenth birthday
when the stitching on the strap gave out. This should have pleased me I s'pose, but the fact that
they took nearly a month to get it back to the shop cf the buy-time promise "2 day turnaround on
any fix from any stockist in the UK" ****** me off slightly. On reflection I can't really fault
the service though.

My main problems with Karrimor sacs are the uncomfortable carry and the slipping straps, only my 2
Kimm sacs seem to escape these issues.

--
Boo

Simon Caldwell wrote:

> Well both Terra Nova and Macpac seem to take it to be my life. They'll exclude things which will
> obviously deteriorate in time, eg tent out fading, or rucksack getting damaged by dragging up
> cliffs on the end of a rope, etc. But things which are due to faulty workmanship/materials -
> fraying tent inner, internal stitching coming undone on rucksack - they will mend FOC without (so
> far) time limit.

Many companies are aware that good customer service means repeat business and recommendation, and
it's also the case that raising invoices to cover minor repairs often costs more than the repair so
it makes a lot of sense to just do it for free.

So where you say "they will mend FOC without time limit" you should be aware that they've quite
possibly done that because they're good eggs, not because other people are breaking the guarantee
they gave you. My recent repairs from Lowe were covered at what I felt to be a very reasonable cost.
Previously they've done bigger repairs where I've stated up front it was an accident and my fault
that caused the problem FOC even though they clearly had no obligation to do so because the item was
not covered under warranty.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

>I'd like to single out Terra Nova though, who have just replaced the inner on my 12 year old Qasar
>FOC because some of the stitching was fraying.
>
>S.

Terra Nova.....

Another example of really good service. Had a good experience with their after sales service too,

Richard Webb

RJ Webb wrote:

> Terra Nova.....
>
> Another example of really good service. Had a good experience with their after sales service too,

OTOH I personally know of 3 people who've had Quasar poles split and been rather less than thrilled
with having to pay for new sets when they felt they were duffers to start with. Nobody's perfect.
I've had great service from Saunders and rather **** service from Saunders, sometimes you're lucky
and sometimes you're not!

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

In article <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
<URL:mailto:p[email protected]> wrote:
> RJ Webb wrote:
>
> > Terra Nova.....
> >
> > Another example of really good service. Had a good experience with their after sales
> > service too,
>
> OTOH I personally know of 3 people who've had Quasar poles split and been rather less than
> thrilled with having to pay for new sets when they felt they were duffers to start with.

Yes ;-)

What I can report is that the the tent has now been used for about a further two years with no more
breakages of any of the poles. This tends to confirm my earlier suspicions that we had a batch of
sections of substandard quality and that these all failed and have been replaced.

Mike Clark, <URL:http://www.path.cam.ac.uk/~mrc7/>
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark <\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing, "> ||
_`\<,_ |__\ \> | immunology lecturer, antibody engineer and ` || (_)/ (_) | \corn computer user"

Mike Clark wrote:

> What I can report is that the the tent has now been used for about a further two years with no
> more breakages of any of the poles. This tends to confirm my earlier suspicions that we had a
> batch of sections of substandard quality and that these all failed and have been replaced.

And perhaps not too surprisingly that seems to be the case with the other 2 as well...

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

>OTOH I personally know of 3 people who've had Quasar poles split and been rather less than thrilled
>with having to pay

That happened to me.. Got the new poles almost immediately, no charge. (Trisar though)

They admitted that they had had a bad batch

Richard Webb

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 12:25:24 GMT, [email protected] (RJ
Webb) wrote:

>>OTOH I personally know of 3 people who've had Quasar
>>poles split and been rather less than thrilled with
>>having to pay
>

>That happened to me.. Got the new poles almost immediately,
>no charge. (Trisar though)
>
>They admitted that they had had a bad batch

Same here.