Karrimor EH20 Waterproof Panniers - Global

Status

John

Guest
Wiggle(http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp ProdID=5300003330) and Edinburgh cycle coop are
selling these at about £50 instead of £75, now I am looking to buy a good set of large paniers for
an E2E trip next year. Would anyone recommend these compared to the more expensive ortlieb's for
instance ?

John wrote:
> Wiggle(http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp ProdID=5300003330) and Edinburgh cycle coop
> are selling these at about £50 instead of £75, now I am looking to buy a good set of large paniers
> for an E2E trip next year. Would anyone recommend these compared to the more expensive ortlieb's
> for instance ?

WHat time of year are you planning for your E2E ? I am planning on doing it in June/July probably.
Look out for me LeJogBlog coming soon on my site, or email me at mseries1965 at hotmail dot com if
you want to compare notes.

Martin

"John" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Wiggle(http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp ProdID=5300003330)
and
> Edinburgh cycle coop are selling these at about £50 instead of £75, now I
am
> looking to buy a good set of large paniers for an E2E trip next year. Would anyone recommend these
> compared to the more expensive ortlieb's for instance ?

I would recommend the smallest panniers you can get away with. Particularly if you are starting from
Land's End.

tony R.

John wrote:

> Wiggle(http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp ProdID=5300003330) and Edinburgh cycle coop
> are selling these at about £50 instead of £75, now I am looking to buy a good set of large paniers
> for an E2E trip next year. Would anyone recommend these compared to the more expensive ortlieb's
> for instance ?

Wow. 60 litres. that's a _lot_ of space. What are you going to take?

I used 30 litre Sport Packer Plus Ortliebs last year when I did E2E with my daughter. They have
proved an excellent buy.

John B

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, John wrote:

> Wiggle(http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp ProdID=3D5300003330)=
and
> Edinburgh cycle coop are selling these at about =A350 instead of =A375, n=
ow I am
> looking to buy a good set of large paniers for an E2E trip next year. Would anyone recommend these
> compared to the more expensive ortlieb's for instance ?

I bought a pair of the EH20's about a month ago. They haven't yet seen heavy use, but first
impressions are that they get the job done.

+es

You have to buy a separate lower mount for each bicycle that you intend to use the panniers on (a
few quid).

You can carry longer items (e.g. tent poles) than in any other panniers I've compared (Ortliebs in
EBS, Vaude elsewhere). In the past, this was a real problem for me.

Spare parts (mounts) are quite cheap, and are easy to find.

-es

The mounts don't seem as sturdy as the other makes

The carrying handles aren't the most comfortable

Any panniers with long loose straps make me feel slightly nervous (in case they get caught in the
wheels. The EH20s have straps that are quite long, though I don't think they're dangerous.

They're longer than other panniers and may just interfere with the rear mech.

They only come in Black. At least from EBS. Fashion be d*%$"@#%ed, everything bicycle related should
come with dayglo colours at least as an option.

They don't have any side pockets.

I can't comment on Ortlieb panniers, but Vaude panniers (intermediately priced) seem slightly better
quality and one type has extra side pockets that can hold all your tools. The reason I didn't get
them again is that on my old ones the mounting clips fatigued and broke. They replaced them quite
happily (with a wait of about 2 weeks) but wouldn't sell me any spares. YMMV. They also wouldn't
send me a single replacement for the one I had stolen, though I don't know whether Ortlieb or
Karrimor would be any different in this respect.

I find that by the time I have a tent, bulky fleece coat, a change of clothing and my own weight in
bananas packed, there isn't much room left in any panniers I've owned. You may get away with smaller
ones if you're staying in B&B's. My ambition is to squeeze in a small trangia.

If you pass a red recumbent with EH20 panniers on your E2E next year, give me a wave.

Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.