Karrimor

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Richard Gosney, Mar 17, 2004.

  1. Anyone know what's happening with Karrimor? The shop in
    Manchester has had a clearance sale on now for the last
    three weeks or so and no sign of it stopping. I get the
    impression that the new owners are just clearing the shelves
    of the Karrimor gear to make room for something else and
    don't plan to continue the Karrimor label.

    Regards, Richard G.

    Tags:

  2. Field and Trek have taken over a number of the shops in the South.
    John.
    http://www.pbase.com/john28july

    --
    No direct reply option available. "Richard Gosney" <[email protected]
    rmg1.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Anyone know what's happening with Karrimor? The shop in
    > Manchester has had a clearance sale on now for the last
    > three weeks or so and no sign of it stopping. I get the
    > impression that the new owners are just clearing the
    > shelves of the Karrimor gear to make room for something
    > else and don't plan to continue the Karrimor label.
    >
    > Regards, Richard G.

  3. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Richard Gosney <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Anyone know what's happening with Karrimor? The shop in
    >Manchester has had a clearance sale on now for the last
    >three weeks or so and no sign of it stopping. I get the
    >impression that the new owners are just clearing the
    >shelves of the Karrimor gear to make room for something
    >else and don't plan to continue the Karrimor label.

    Apparently they have gone bust. The Manchester shop is due
    to close in the next 7-10 days.

  4. In message <[email protected]>,
    Chris <[email protected]?.invalid> writes
    > Richard Gosney <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Anyone know what's happening with Karrimor? The shop in
    >>Manchester has had a clearance sale on now for the last
    >>three weeks or so and no sign of it stopping. I get the
    >>impression that the new owners are just clearing the
    >>shelves of the Karrimor gear to make room for something
    >>else and don't plan to continue the Karrimor label.
    >>
    >Apparently they have gone bust. The Manchester shop is due
    >to close in the next 7-10 days.

    Technically, they are in receivership so might survive in
    some form. The receivers were appointed on 20 February this
    year. The source is the Companies House website:

    http://ws2info.companieshouse.gov.uk/info/

    so may be taken as fairly authoritative.

    --
    Michael Farthing cyclades Software House

  5. John Laird

    John Laird Guest

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 08:55:27 +0000, Richard Gosney
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Anyone know what's happening with Karrimor? The shop in
    >Manchester has had a clearance sale on now for the last
    >three weeks or so and no sign of it stopping. I get the
    >impression that the new owners are just clearing the
    >shelves of the Karrimor gear to make room for something
    >else and don't plan to continue the Karrimor label.

    Is that the YHA shop ? Someone advised me they were having a
    closing down sale and I needed some bits and pieces so
    trotted in one recent Sunday morning, thinking I could
    always try one of the other (numerous) outdoor shops in the
    vicinity should they be sold out.

    Couldn't get parked anywhere nearby for love nor
    (reasonable) money, so gave up and bought locally. It's
    hardly surprising the world flocks to the Trafford Centre...

    --
    It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  6. Pete

    Pete Guest

    > Richard Gosney <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Anyone know what's happening with Karrimor? The shop in
    > >Manchester has had a clearance sale on now for the last
    > >three weeks or so and no sign of it stopping. I get the
    > >impression that the new owners are just clearing the
    > >shelves of the Karrimor gear to make room
    for
    > >something else and don't plan to continue the
    > >Karrimor label.
    > >
    > Apparently they have gone bust. The Manchester shop is due
    > to close in the next 7-10 days.

    The YHA Adventure Shop on Maid Marian Way in Nottingham
    (which I believe exclusively sells Karrimor gear) is having
    a closing down sale too.

    My wife and I have picked up some incredible bargains over
    the last few days. This is one of the few genuine sales I've
    ever come across, with huge reductions on most things,
    including boots, rucksacks, Gore-Tex, Paclite, etc. Some of
    the more popular sizes are disappearing quickly though.

    Pete

  7. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    These are the old YHA stores which were taken over by
    Karrimor. Field and Trek have now taken on three of the
    stores, including Birmingham and Bristol I think - it will
    be quite nice to have a Field & Trek in Brum. The Birmingham
    store still has a lot of bargains, particularly Karrimor
    rucksacks. The store now seems to be carrying other excess
    stock from the group, including a lot of Mountain Equipment
    and Craghoppers stuff. Apparently the stores will begin to
    carry to usual F&T range within about 4-6 weeks, so the
    bargains might carry on for a while yet!

  8. Dave H

    Dave H Guest

    > Is that the YHA shop ? Someone advised me they were having
    > a closing down sale and I needed some bits and pieces so
    > trotted in one recent Sunday morning, thinking I could
    > always try one of the other (numerous) outdoor shops in
    > the vicinity should they be sold out.

    Its rather annoying for me, who supported that shop, I went
    in to see what was available and it was the busiest it had
    ever been in my knowledge, I felt sickened by these vultures
    who had come to take its pickings from the dead shop.

    And alas, I couldnt find anything :(

    Dave

  9. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    Michael Farthing wrote:
    > In message
    > <[email protected]>, Chris

    > Technically, they are in receivership so might survive in
    > some form. The receivers were appointed on 20 February
    > this year. The source is the Companies House website:
    >
    > http://ws2info.companieshouse.gov.uk/info/
    >
    > so may be taken as fairly authoritative.

    They have been bought over by Londsdale Sports, the same
    company who took over YHA shops last March.

    http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=2539

    --
    Don`t Worry, Be Happy

    Sandy