Kashechkin Misguided?

musette

Aug 29, 2003
Credit Agricole's Legeay said Kashechkin could be sole leader of Credit Agricole for TdF 2006, if he had stayed there. Is Kashechkin making a big mistake in foregoing that chance for team leadership on his own at such a young age?

"I'm still young, I want to learn before striking out on my own."

"On the same day that Credit Agricole team leader Christophe Moreau announced his move to AG2R next season, Kashechkin says that team boss Roger Legeay offered him a three-year deal with a further two-year option.
"He wanted to designate me as sole team leader for the 2006 Tour de France. It's a great tribute on his part, but I mostly wanted to rejoin Alex.""

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/v4/l0/s18/e7203/sport_lng0_spo18_evt7203_sto747917.shtml

I wonder if R Legeay is nuts. :p

musette said:
I don't think finishing #2 in the TdF is particularly impressive.
Your understanding of cycling is clearly demonstrated by the above quote.

Go back to the baton twirling.

Short of a GC win, it doesn't matter whether one was second or fourth. :p That's my personal view. Obviously, Kash. is not going to win the Tour next year even if he stayed at Credit Agricole and were its sole leader. However, at least he would have a chance at team leadership (which is a first step to trying to win GC).

Instead, Kash. chooses to be domestique to fellow countryman Vino? :cool:

musette said:
Short of a GC win, it doesn't matter whether one was second or fourth.
You are clearly too busy at cheerleading practice to make any sensible comments. All that tossing has messed with your mind.

Anybody who is offered a Protour team leadership at the TdF and relinquishes it to become a domestique to another person who will claim sole leadership of his team (which team will have even other people higher up in the pecking order within the TdF team) is giving up a significant opportunity. Sure, the offering team is Credit Agricole, but that's not nothing. ;)

He's 25... he has a lot to learn.... Vino is 31 and will be retired in 3 years when KK can take over...

musette said:
Anybody who is offered a Protour team leadership at the TdF and relinquishes it to become a domestique to another person who will claim sole leadership of his team (which team will have even other people higher up in the pecking order within the TdF team) is giving up a significant opportunity. Sure, the offering team is Credit Agricole, but that's not nothing. ;)

So what if he's 25. If some team is willing to give him team leadership at the Tour, who cares if one is not ready (which I think is Kash.'s case)? Go for it! At Liberty, given Cantador and the other possibilities several years down the road, Kash. is not assured of anything.

Popo is not that much older than Kash., and has already tried to win the Giro as his team's leader (albeit not as established a team as Credit Agricole). But Popo could well be co-leader of DC next year for the Tour. Although it's true Popo is a lot more accomplished than Kash., having done well in the Giro for several years and won the Tour de Cataluyna.

Agreed but he still has a lot to learn.... he rode well at this year's Tour but the added pressure of team leader makes a difference..... ie Heres

Also there is something about having a clear mind when riding and be around people you know...... I think being with Vino will make him a better rider..... I know that I've enjoyed my jobs more when I'm working with good people....

musette said:
So what if he's 25. If some team is willing to give him team leadership at the Tour, who cares if one is not ready (which I think is Kash.'s case)? Go for it! At Liberty, given Cantador and the other possibilities several years down the road, Kash. is not assured of anything.

Popo is not that much older than Kash., and has already tried to win the Giro as his team's leader (albeit not as established a team as Credit Agricole). But Popo could well be co-leader of DC next year for the Tour. Although it's true Popo is a lot more accomplished than Kash., having done well in the Giro for several years and won the Tour de Cataluyna.

Kash may never have the chance to ride as team leader. He is not a demonstrated quantity over a meaningful period of time. He should have taken Credit Agricole's offer and just seen how well or not he does. At least then he has no regrets.

Popo is chomping at the bits to take over as leader of DC at TdF (or co-leader). I think Bruyneel will want to observe him more, perhaps at this year's Giro, as co-leader with Ace there (with Danielson as backup). If DC doesn't recruit, Popo will have a good situation at DC.

Popo is comping on gear ! So who is going to lead the Tour until Popo is ready ?

musette said:
Kash may never have the chance to ride as team leader. He is not a demonstrated quantity over a meaningful period of time. He should have taken Credit Agricole's offer and just seen how well or not he does. At least then he has no regrets.

Popo is chomping at the bits to take over as leader of DC at TdF (or co-leader). I think Bruyneel will want to observe him more, perhaps at this year's Giro, as co-leader with Ace there (with Danielson as backup). If DC doesn't recruit, Popo will have a good situation at DC.

musette said:

Maybe he already knows where he wants his career to go and where his place in a team might be. Alot of riders waste their time thinking they have what it takes to be a leader and only towards the end of the career do they realise, they would of been much better off just working with their own strengths and being a strong domestique for someone else. In alot of cases trying to be the leader actually sets them much further back. There is still plenty of honour in being a strong domestique. Alot and probably most are just not cut out to be leaders, whether it be because of their own physical and mental abilities or politics or whatever.

I don't know. In the same article, Kash. says:

"I'm still young, I want to learn before striking out on my own. It's for this reason that I've signed for two years even though Manolo Saiz offered me three, the same as Alex. Maybe then, it will be time to think of me."

That probably means he is not necessarily happy to be domestique all his career.

LOL, look there is just 1 LA, who choses to be 1 at the tour and he can do that.........2nd is still very very good though (and certainly having ridden the giro before that!). Ah well you will change youre view on basso the coming years.....he has a few tour wins in him!

musette said:
Short of a GC win, it doesn't matter whether one was second or fourth. :p That's my personal view. Obviously, Kash. is not going to win the Tour next year even if he stayed at Credit Agricole and were its sole leader. However, at least he would have a chance at team leadership (which is a first step to trying to win GC).

Instead, Kash. chooses to be domestique to fellow countryman Vino? :cool:

musette said:
I don't know. In the same article, Kash. says:

"I'm still young, I want to learn before striking out on my own. It's for this reason that I've signed for two years even though Manolo Saiz offered me three, the same as Alex. Maybe then, it will be time to think of me."

That probably means he is not necessarily happy to be domestique all his career.

all you ever do is undermine anyone who is not discovery/lance by showing us your wonderful abilities to select a quote and demonstrate how one uses 'bold' or 'underline' to emphasise something they'd be able to see even if you hadn't done that.

do you ever comment on how a race went without getting flustered over a disco rider? What did you think of HEW on sunday? Hammond was quite good finishing wherever he did? :D