Kate Hoey's Mail on Sunday Lycra Lout Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy B wrote: --snip.
>
> Anyway, if you feel obliged here's Kate's email, you can tell her what you think:
> [email protected]
>
Well I just got a reply from her to my email. I suggested she traded her mini for a bike for a week
like Portillo did his Kensington home for one in Liverpool. Whilst a mini isn't exactly Kensington
(unless it's a new one) cyclists are the scousers of the road - or something like that. Anyway she
said she's considering my points carefully - which is politico-speak for deleting them no doubt.

belfast biker wrote:
> She makes *some* good points about dangerous cylists.
>
> She loses it when she says we've no right to use the road coz we haven't paid for the privilege.
> I'd have thought someone choosing an efficient zero emission method of transport is something to
> be praised.
>
> Perhaps we should charge pedestrians for using the road while crossing it, maybe lollipop men
> could collect it?

Yes she seems to go into New Labour mode here (not angry motorist who can't get anywhere fast) by
demanding that those things we previously thought beneficial such as university education now be
paid for by the people involved. Unfortunately cycling has fallen in to this category for her.

Well done Helen, Guy et al for some superbly lucid responses to Kate Hoey. I haven't read the
article yet, but will do so and see if it makes me as angry as you all.

Incidentally, the Highway Code tells us in the section for motorists:

"You should always reduce your speed when
a.. the road layout or condition presents hazards, such as bends
b.. sharing the road with pedestrians and cyclists, particularly children, and motorcyclists
c.. weather conditions make it safer to do so
d.. driving at night as it is harder to see other road users. "

Maybe someone should tell Kate.

Peter

Peter.

"Andy B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

news:<[email protected]>...
> > Andy B tried to scribble ...
> >
> > > The Mail has once again
> >
> > You didn't bother to read the newsgroup before posting to it then ?
>
> Yes. Sorry about that. I use google for newsgroups and it's pretty slow when it comes to
> displaying the latest posts. When i posted i could only see 7 posts for the 19th - none of which
> were about whoey.
>
> If anyone can volunteer other methods where i can use a web-based email i would appreciate knowing
> about it. I've got outlook express at home setup with an account that i don't want to use for
> newsgroups - for spam reasons.

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:04:11 +0100, John Hearns <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> The path along west of Tower Bridge past the new city Hall and the Belfast is closed to cycling.
> I thas been explained to me, by Southwark's cycling officer, that this is private property.

It's coloured blue on my LCC map. Perhaps you should tell TfL that it's closed to cycling, since
they have it down as a cycke route.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
|/ \|

> Danny Colyer tried to scribble ...
>
>

>>
>>>My point was why start a new thread on something that's already being discussed in depth and
>>>detail ?
>>
>>That seems like a strange point to be made by someone who, Google suggests, is not new to usenet.
>
>
> Heheheh, nope, I'm not new to Usenet. Maybe I had a bad moment ..
>
>
>>Paul, what makes you think that any of the other thread had reached Andy B's news server at the
>>time he started this thread?
>
>
> Dunno .. but google is pretty comprehensive ..

...and generally slower to get new postings than my local news server (because their database is
only updated periodically).

Whilst Andy B might have failed to check if there was already a thread, he might not. Let's just
leave it at that.

Simon

Ian Smith wrote:
> It's coloured blue on my LCC map. Perhaps you should tell TfL that it's closed to cycling, since
> they have it down as a cycke route.
>
There were a lot of mistakes in the first edition TfL cycle maps.

Which makes it all the more regrettable that the second editions seem to have been delayed
until next spring. The deadline for changes was last spring, at least for the ones around here
(West London).

By the time they come out, they'll be about 1.5 years out of date.

Colin McKenzie

Stephen (aka steford) wrote:
>
> Anyway she said she's considering my points carefully - which is politico-speak for deleting them
> no doubt.

The equivalent of the famous Maggie Thatcher reply "I can assure you your comments will receive the
attention they deserve"

Tony

--
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

"al_Mossah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Well done Helen, Guy et al for some superbly lucid responses to Kate Hoey. I haven't read the
> article yet, but will do so and see if it makes me as angry as you all.
>
> Incidentally, the Highway Code tells us in the section for motorists:
>
> "You should always reduce your speed when
> a.. the road layout or condition presents hazards, such as bends
> b.. sharing the road with pedestrians and cyclists, particularly
children,
> and motorcyclists
> c.. weather conditions make it safer to do so
> d.. driving at night as it is harder to see other road users. "
>
> Maybe someone should tell Kate.
>

I told her. If I get a reply I'll post it. Peter.

Hi Kate,

You've had enough rants about your MoS article, so I'll spare you mine. You just need to be aware
that the Highway Code says the following to motorists (cut and pasted from the website, so it must
be true!). The bold bit is my emphasis.

"You should always reduce your speed when a.. the road layout or condition presents hazards, such
as bends b.. sharing the road with pedestrians and cyclists, particularly children, and
motorcyclists c.. weather conditions make it safer to do so d.. driving at night as it is harder to
see other road users. "

I don't see anything in there about "unless they're wearing lycra or holding up an ex-minister in
her politically-correct small urban car", so I guess that you have no right to sound your horn just
because they're going slowly.

I'm disappointed. I thought that you were an independent spirit who wasn't afraid to confront
orthodoxy. Maybe you can do another article, after cycling around a city for a few hours.

Kind regards,

etc.

> Peter
>
> Peter.
>
> "Andy B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Andy B tried to scribble ...
> > >
> > > > The Mail has once again
> > >
> > > You didn't bother to read the newsgroup before posting to it then ?
> >
> > Yes. Sorry about that. I use google for newsgroups and it's pretty slow when it comes to
> > displaying the latest posts. When i posted i could only see 7 posts for the 19th - none of which
> > were about whoey.
> >
> > If anyone can volunteer other methods where i can use a web-based email i would appreciate
> > knowing about it. I've got outlook express at home setup with an account that i don't want to
> > use for newsgroups - for spam reasons.

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 08:43:44 +0000 (UTC), "W K" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"How many times have you seen a cyclist deliberately riding in the middle of the road, preventing
>any car passing and then screaming abuse at the poor driver who dares to try? "
>

Once, about five months ago. The cyclist was me and I was riding there to prevent cars from
overtaking me just before a mini-roundabout. Sadly, I failed in my mission as I was left-hooked a
moment later.

Hoey rating = 5.9 James

--
"Sorry mate, I didn't see you" is not a satisfactory excuse.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I setup a hotmail account, which, as it's name suggests, is _not_ checked unless someone on
>Usenet informs me I have something to check it for, and view Usenet (newsgroups) via
>news.individual.net, which is well-known and very good, as well as being free of charge .. :)
>Maybe this could be an option.

Paul

I have used various versions of Forté's FreeAgent <http://www.forteinc.com> for many a year and find
it to be more than OK. FWIW, I use Eudora for E-mail <http://www.eudora.com>.

Naturally I don't wish to be more speedy than the rest of the usenet community, hence my choice of
NTL as my ISP!

Cheers James

--

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:25:09 +0000 (UTC), "al_Mossah"

>Well done Helen, Guy et al for some superbly lucid responses to Kate Hoey. I haven't read the
>article yet, but will do so and see if it makes me as angry as you all.
>

Hi Peter

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Image8.gif 1.16 MB - see the well-behaved cyclist in full B&W

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Image9.gif 138 KB - see the same well-behaved cyclist in
less clear B&W

James

--

>The 'tried to scribble' is my lame attempt at humour when replying to posts on Usenet. It is _not_
>personal to you, or to anyone else for that matter. I use Outlook Express and an add-on to it
>called 'QuoteFix', which allows me to add different header styles to posts.

Hi Paul

Here's what I wrote to John when he apologised on your behalf.

"Yes, I know it's not meant to be offensive. In fact, I'm a little annoyed with myself for
having written in the manner I did. However, on Sunday, I was feeling a mite (spelling now
corrected!) wobbly and headachey. I had a marvellous fit a few hours after I scibbled my drivel.
Ain't life fun."

So, Paul, no offence taken. In the normal course of things, I find 'tried to scribble', or similar,
an amusing and pleasant change from

<[email protected]> wrote:", to quote my own style of header. You just caught me on a bad
day. You should see some of my posts when I'm really off-colour.

Done scribbling ;-) James

--

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:03:14 +0100, "John Hearns" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> BTW, your comment "James Hodson tried to scribble ..." does annoy me a
>> James, this is a random response generated by Paul's news/mail reading programme.
>I correct myself. Paul isn't using a random setting, but I think he's just set the attribution in
>his newsreader to "tried to scribbe:" Either way, no offence is meant I'm sure.

Hi John

Yes, I kow it's not meant to be offensive. In fact, I'm a little annoyed with myself for having
written in the manner I did. However, on Sunday, I was feeling a might wobbly and headachey. I had a
marvellous fit a few hours after I scibbled my drivel. Ain't life fun.

Cheers James

--

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "How many times have you seen a cyclist deliberately riding in the middle of the road, preventing
> any car passing and then screaming abuse at the poor driver who dares to try? "

Lost count - last itme was riding home last night. And yes, I was that cyclist.

--
Guy
===

WARNING: may contain traces of irony. Contents may settle after posting.
http://www.chapmancentral.com

Wot Guy said. There is no space for a car to overtake a cyclist when both are travelling down the
Ferry Lane bus lane, which means YOU, twatinagolf, 22-OCT-2003, 08:00 (approx)

Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
===========================================================
Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
http://www.bhpc.org.uk/
===========================================================

James Hodson must be edykated coz e writed:

> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:27:32 +0100, Ian <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately for us, you can still type. (hehe)
>
> Evil, Ian. If only I had access to slabs.
>
> James
I don't think you would have the aplomb of the PSF.

--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:42:55 +0100, Ian <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Unfortunately for us, you can still type. (hehe)

>> Evil, Ian. If only I had access to slabs.

>I don't think you would have the aplomb of the PSF.

Probably not. But I bet I can hurl further than H.

James

--

> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:42:55 +0100, Ian <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>>> Unfortunately for us, you can still type. (hehe)
>
>>> Evil, Ian. If only I had access to slabs.
>
>> I don't think you would have the aplomb of the PSF.
>
> Probably not. But I bet I can hurl further than H.
>

Depends how much Guiness you have first.

--
Ian

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:34:31 +0100, Ian <[email protected]> wrote:

>Depends how much Guiness you have first.

I assume you mean Guinness. But leavnig that by the by, I prefer red wine. Hic!

James

--

> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:34:31 +0100, Ian <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Depends how much Guiness you have first.
>
> I assume you mean Guinness. But leavnig that by the by, I prefer red wine. Hic!
>
> James
That's what I said, diddle I?

--
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.