Kate's Great Meal Cinnamon Ice Cream recipe

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Kate Connally, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. These are the recipes Monica Adamski made for the 2002 CT Cook-in. I made the Cinnamon Ice Cream for
    my dinner. Kate

    MONIKA'S CT COOK-IN ICE CREAM RECIPES

    Base: 4 egg yolks ¾ cup sugar 2 cups half and half 2 cups heavy cream about 2 tsp. of vanilla (a
    good slug from a bottle)

    Whip yolks with sugar until pale in double boiler. Pour in half and half and cream and heat to 180F
    while stirring. Add vanilla and cool down. I have purposely used fewer egg yolks than most of the
    recipes call for since I wanted to see how this affects the ice cream flavor and I must say I like
    it this way much better.

    Cinnamon: While making the custard, add enough cinnamon to your taste (make it stronger than usual
    since freezing dulls flavor). I think I added 2-3 tbsp. but don't quote me on this since I just
    shake from a jar until I like the taste. Let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours. Freeze in ice cream
    maker and then transfer to a plastic container.

    Chocolate - cherry: Soak frozen or canned cherries in small amount of rum. I was out of frozen sour
    cherries this time, so I used Morello dark cherries from Trader Joe's. Melt about 4 oz. of chocolate
    (I used bittersweet) and when liquid, slowly add custard to it until mixed together. Let it sit in
    the fridge for 24 hours. Freeze in ice cream maker. During last 5 minutes of churning add cherries,
    that have been drained and kept cold. Transfer to a plastic container.

    Peach (based on Jamie Utter's recipe): Peel and cut into small pieces 2-3 large peaches - about 2
    cups of cut fruit. Sprinkle about ¼ c. sugar over peaches and let them sit for a few hours. Bring
    the peaches to boil and cook for a few minutes to soften them. Cool them down. Drain the peach juice
    and add it to the custard just before pouring it in the ice cream maker. Pour over peaches a small
    amount of vodka (or other alcohol), to prevent them from freezing hard. Add the peaches to the ice
    cream during the last 5 minutes of churning.

    --
    Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that
    smiles back, Until you bite their heads off.” What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all

    Tags:

  2. Rick & Cyndi

    Rick & Cyndi Guest

    news:[email protected]...
    :
    : MONIKA'S CT COOK-IN ICE CREAM RECIPES
    :
    :<snip>

    Hmmmmmm, maybe that's a thought for this year's cookin in Minnesota... but to do my favorite
    Licorice Ice Cream, instead! Maybe.
    --
    Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply