Kate's Great Meal Medieval Braised Spinach recipe

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Kate Connally, Feb 27, 2004.

1. At the end I included the original recipe from The Forme of Cury, which is one of the references
    used by the authors of Pleyn Delit. Kate

MEDIEVAL BRAISED SPINACH

2 lb. fresh spinach, washed and with excess stems and withered leaves removed salted water for
    parboiling 2-3 T. olive oil ¼ t. salt pinch each ginger and allspice

Parboil the spinach in a large pot of water for about 4 minutes. Drain and press out excess water
    with your hands and chop the spinach. Put in a saucepan or a small casserole with oil and
    seasonings. Stir and leave to cook over very low heat for another 15 minutes or so. Or put covered
    casserole in a low oven for about 20 minutes. ("Braised Spinach" recipe from Pleyn Delit, Medieval
    Cookery for Modern Cooks by Constance
    B. Hieatt and Sharon Butler)

Notes: I did this a little differently. I used the baby spinach you buy pre-washed in the produce
    section. I just put some olive oil in my large teflon skillet and stuffed as much spinach in as
    possible and put the lid on. Once the spinach had wilted I added more and stirred it up as well as I
    could and put the lid back on to wilt it. Once it was thoroughly wilted I seasoned it with the salt,
    ginger, and allspice. I may also have added pepper, can't recall for sure. It couldn't hurt. If
    you're using older spinach then you will need to follow the directions above.

Spynoch Ifryed

Take Spynoches; parboile hem in seþying water. Take hem up and presse out þe water and hewe in two.
    Frye hem in oile clene, & do þer-to powder & serue forth. (From "The Forme of Cury")

--
    Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that
    smiles back, Until you bite their heads off.” What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all
    about? mailto:[email protected]

Tags: