Kate's Great Meal Moroccan Tomato Soup recipe

K

Kate Connally

MOROCCAN TOMATO SOUP

2 T. vegetable oil 2 c. coarsely chopped onions 1 T. minced garlic 2 28-oz. cans plum tomatoes
2 c. chicken broth juice and finely grated zest of 2 oranges 2 T. honey 2 3" cinnamon sticks 1
t. allspice
1/4 t. nutmeg 2 Idaho potatoes, peeled and sliced ¼" thick (32 slices) salt and coarsely ground
black pepper to taste 2 T. chopped fresh mint leaves for garnish

Heat oil in large heavy pot over medium-low heat. Add the onions and cook until just softened, about
5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook to soften, 5 minutes more. Crush tomatoes and
add them with their juices. Add broth, orange juice, zest, honey, cinnamon sticks, allspice, and
nutmeg. Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered to blend flavors, 30 minutes. While
soup is simmering, place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil,
reduce heat, and simmer uncovered until just tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and set aside. Remove
the cinnamon sticks. Puree the soup until very smooth in food processor or blender in batches.
Return to pot and season to taste with salt an pepper. Before serving, warm soup gently. To serve,
place 4 potato slices in bottom of each bowl, ladle hot soup atop, and sprinkle with chopped mint.
Serves 8. (Adapted from "Fez-style Tomato Soup" in Sheila Lukins' All Around the World Cookbook.)

Notes: I didn't use the potatoes mainly because we were having a potato dish with the main course
and also because I was making reindeer croutons to put in it. I used canned crushed tomatoes instead
of the whole plum tomatoes - less work. Also, I didn't have any cinnamon sticks and was too broke to
buy more so I just used ground cinnamon - about 1 t.? I also didn't use the mint garnish, again too
broke to buy the mint, but would have loved to have had it. For the reindeer, or any other shape
crouton, just buy some frozen puff pastry and use a cookie cutter to cut out your croutons. Brush
with an egg wash and bake at an appropriate temperature - I looked on the box to see what they
suggested and used that, can't remember what it was now, maybe 375F or 400F. Time is about 10-15
minutes I think, check after 8 minutes to be sure. Remove when deep golden brown. I baked mine at
the last minute so that they would still be warm. If made earlier, reheat briefly in oven before
adding to soup. Just float one crouton in each bowl of soup. This works best for thick soups that
are served in wide shallow soup bowls, rather than brothy soups served in smaller, deeper bowls.
--
Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that
smiles back, Until you bite their heads off.” What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all
about? mailto:[email protected]