kathy Watt Interview - The Age

does anyone else regularly get snobbed off by Kathy Watt? :) :D

I gave her the little 'half hand' wave the first couple of times I saw her, but she totally fresh-aired me, so now I give her nothin' :p

I s'pose she's sick of every goose on Beach Rd talking to her

531Aussie said:
does anyone else regularly get snobbed off by Kathy Watt? :) :D

I gave here the little 'half hand' wave the first couple of times I saw her, but she totally fresh-aired me, so now I give her nothin' :p

I s'pose she's sick of every goose on Beach Rd talking to her

Quite a few years ago, out training around the La Trobe valley, I passed a couple of kids mucking around on their bikes at the end of their farm drive way. As I rode past, they yelled out "Go Kathy!! Go Kathy!!" :D I gave them a wave., laughing my head off. Maybe I should have stopped to give them an autograph?? :p

531Aussie said:
does anyone else regularly get snobbed off by Kathy Watt? :) :D

I gave here the little 'half hand' wave the first couple of times I saw her, but she totally fresh-aired me, so now I give her nothin' :p

I s'pose she's sick of every goose on Beach Rd talking to her
There's a reason why every article on her mentions the fact that she's considered an outsider by the sport.......

  • Like
Reactions: Bringkathywattdown
Shabby said:
There's a reason why every article on her mentions the fact that she's considered an outsider by the sport.......

"webel webel - your hair is a mess..."
:D

Shabby said:
There's a reason why every article on her mentions the fact that she's considered an outsider by the sport.......

because she is a woman. Seriously - journalists are lazy and use the classic hysterical female stereotype to describe her. It get's used for Jana Pitman, and quite a few female politicians too.

The AIS system doesn't fit everyone, nor does everyone fit the AIS system. Ask Gary Neiwand. Ask Ian Thorpe. If you step outside the system, then you become a target for labelling (Thorpe was indirectly labelled via his coach - a woman!! quelle horruese!![spl??])

She is still an outsider because now she is too old to be achieving what she has achieved.

warrwych said:
because she is a woman. Seriously - journalists are lazy and use the classic hysterical female stereotype to describe her. It get's used for Jana Pitman, and quite a few female politicians too.

The AIS system doesn't fit everyone, nor does everyone fit the AIS system. Ask Gary Neiwand. Ask Ian Thorpe. If you step outside the system, then you become a target for labelling (Thorpe was indirectly labelled via his coach - a woman!! quelle horruese!![spl??])

She is still an outsider because now she is too old to be achieving what she has achieved.

oh i dunno. Jana should shutup and perform. apparently you can run faster when a camera isnt in front of you...
doesnt seem to happen to the meares, carrigan, et al.
FWIW, i like Watt sticking it up the establishment. pity Pate and Niewand couldnt keep it together like her :rolleyes:

That badminton(or was it squash) player in today's Hun wont have much problems of being outside :rolleyes:

warrwych said:
because she is a woman. Seriously - journalists are lazy and use the classic hysterical female stereotype to describe her. It get's used for Jana Pitman, and quite a few female politicians too.

The AIS system doesn't fit everyone, nor does everyone fit the AIS system. Ask Gary Neiwand. Ask Ian Thorpe. If you step outside the system, then you become a target for labelling (Thorpe was indirectly labelled via his coach - a woman!! quelle horruese!![spl??])

She is still an outsider because now she is too old to be achieving what she has achieved.
No, it's not becuase she;s a woman, otherwise every other sportswoman would be tarred with the same brush. It's becuase she is a pain in the ass and not a team player.... hence, noone wants her on their team.

As for the Jana and Tamsyn show, they're just not smart enough to play the media game. Male or female, they're good enough to be heard, but not smart enough to avoid giving the media the grabs they're looking for.

flyingdutch said:
oh i dunno. Jana should shutup and perform. apparently you can run faster when a camera isnt in front of you...
doesnt seem to happen to the meares, carrigan, et al.
FWIW, i like Watt sticking it up the establishment. pity Pate and Niewand couldnt keep it together like her :rolleyes:

That badminton(or was it squash) player in today's Hun wont have much problems of being outside :rolleyes:

I think Pitman is lining up for a role on Home & Away or the like...
:p There are better ways to get your profile out there!!

Shabby said:
... not a team player.... hence, noone wants her on their team.
Charlie "my way or the highway" Walsh was the problem. Now people are upset because in this culture of entitlement other riders believe they merit a place over Kathy. More individuals I say. ITT - way to go.

Besides, do you really need a national team? Do you really need any team for anything other than stage races? Even in the world championship road race in Madrid many riders virtually ignored their national team riders and cooperated with their professional teams or their mates.

flyingdutch said:
and it get home and there is KAth on the front cover of the real-estate (Weekly) times.

She was in the local Croydon-Ringwood newspaper a few weeks back. Her media PR people are doing their job ;)

flyingdutch wrote:

> warrwych Wrote:
> > because she is a woman. Seriously - journalists are lazy and use the
> > classic hysterical female stereotype to describe her. It get's used for
> > Jana Pitman, and quite a few female politicians too.

<snip>
> oh i dunno. Jana should shutup and perform. apparently you can run
> faster when a camera isnt in front of you...
> doesnt seem to happen to the meares, carrigan, et al.

<snip>
Hey, do they run? Awesome! More cyclists should take to running...

Tam

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> flyingdutch wrote:
> >
> > warrwych Wrote:
> > > because she is a woman. Seriously - journalists are lazy and use the
> > > classic hysterical female stereotype to describe her. It get's used for
> > > Jana Pitman, and quite a few female politicians too.

> <snip>
> > oh i dunno. Jana should shutup and perform. apparently you can run
> > faster when a camera isnt in front of you...
> > doesnt seem to happen to the meares, carrigan, et al.

> <snip>
> Hey, do they run? Awesome! More cyclists should take to running...

With a bat? Or maybe an axe handle?

FD:
>and it get home and there is KAth on the front cover of the real-estate (Weekly) times.

I should be so lucky to have a cycling legend on the front cover. I got
home and saw that Pauline Pantsdown has decided to sell real estate in
my area and got lots of free publicity from our lowbrow media.

Donga

Donga said:
I should be so lucky to have a cycling legend on the front cover. I got
home and saw that Pauline Pantsdown has decided to sell real estate in
my area and got lots of free publicity from our lowbrow media.

Donga

... between her ears???

F"ploise erxplane"Dutch

warrwych said:
Quite a few years ago, out training around the La Trobe valley, I passed a couple of kids mucking around on their bikes at the end of their farm drive way. As I rode past, they yelled out "Go Kathy!! Go Kathy!!" :D I gave them a wave., laughing my head off. Maybe I should have stopped to give them an autograph?? :p
Haaa, I used to get that a bit when my hair was peroxide blonde!! Oh the shame.

Donga said:
I should be so lucky to have a cycling legend on the front cover. I got home and saw that Pauline Pantsdown has decided to sell real estate in my area and got lots of free publicity from our lowbrow media.
You must live near me because I got the same sh!t. That's the only paper that hasn't been shredded by my dog in weeks.

Lotte

LotteBum said:
Haaa, I used to get that a bit when my hair was peroxide blonde!! Oh the shame.

I was very impressed they knew of her (unless of course it was another cycling Kathy to whom they referred hehehe :confused: )

Lotte:
>That's the only paper that hasn't been shredded by my dog in weeks.

You have a most discriminating dog! Either that or he's scared Pauline
might get to hear of it and drop around to give him a verbal towelling
- ploise exploin!

Donga