kathy Watt Interview - The Age

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by warrwych, Mar 5, 2006.

  1. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    http://tinyurl.com/m5b9p

    Tags:

  2. 531Aussie

    531Aussie Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2004
    Messages:
    12,606
    does anyone else regularly get snobbed off by Kathy Watt? :) :D

    I gave her the little 'half hand' wave the first couple of times I saw her, but she totally fresh-aired me, so now I give her nothin' :p

    I s'pose she's sick of every goose on Beach Rd talking to her

  3. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    Quite a few years ago, out training around the La Trobe valley, I passed a couple of kids mucking around on their bikes at the end of their farm drive way. As I rode past, they yelled out "Go Kathy!! Go Kathy!!" :D I gave them a wave., laughing my head off. Maybe I should have stopped to give them an autograph?? :p

  4. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    There's a reason why every article on her mentions the fact that she's considered an outsider by the sport.......

    Bringkathywattdown likes this.
  5. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    "webel webel - your hair is a mess..."
    :D

  6. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    because she is a woman. Seriously - journalists are lazy and use the classic hysterical female stereotype to describe her. It get's used for Jana Pitman, and quite a few female politicians too.

    The AIS system doesn't fit everyone, nor does everyone fit the AIS system. Ask Gary Neiwand. Ask Ian Thorpe. If you step outside the system, then you become a target for labelling (Thorpe was indirectly labelled via his coach - a woman!! quelle horruese!![spl??])

    She is still an outsider because now she is too old to be achieving what she has achieved.

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    oh i dunno. Jana should shutup and perform. apparently you can run faster when a camera isnt in front of you...
    doesnt seem to happen to the meares, carrigan, et al.
    FWIW, i like Watt sticking it up the establishment. pity Pate and Niewand couldnt keep it together like her :rolleyes:

    That badminton(or was it squash) player in today's Hun wont have much problems of being outside :rolleyes:

  8. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    No, it's not becuase she;s a woman, otherwise every other sportswoman would be tarred with the same brush. It's becuase she is a pain in the ass and not a team player.... hence, noone wants her on their team.

    As for the Jana and Tamsyn show, they're just not smart enough to play the media game. Male or female, they're good enough to be heard, but not smart enough to avoid giving the media the grabs they're looking for.

  9. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    I think Pitman is lining up for a role on Home & Away or the like...
    :p There are better ways to get your profile out there!!

  10. rdk

    rdk New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2005
    Charlie "my way or the highway" Walsh was the problem. Now people are upset because in this culture of entitlement other riders believe they merit a place over Kathy. More individuals I say. ITT - way to go.

    Besides, do you really need a national team? Do you really need any team for anything other than stage races? Even in the world championship road race in Madrid many riders virtually ignored their national team riders and cooperated with their professional teams or their mates.

  11. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    and it get home and there is KAth on the front cover of the real-estate (Weekly) times.

  12. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    She was in the local Croydon-Ringwood newspaper a few weeks back. Her media PR people are doing their job ;)

  13. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:

    > warrwych Wrote:
    > > because she is a woman. Seriously - journalists are lazy and use the
    > > classic hysterical female stereotype to describe her. It get's used for
    > > Jana Pitman, and quite a few female politicians too.

    <snip>
    > oh i dunno. Jana should shutup and perform. apparently you can run
    > faster when a camera isnt in front of you...
    > doesnt seem to happen to the meares, carrigan, et al.

    <snip>
    Hey, do they run? Awesome! More cyclists should take to running...

    Tam

  14. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    Tamyka Bell wrote:
    > flyingdutch wrote:
    > >
    > > warrwych Wrote:
    > > > because she is a woman. Seriously - journalists are lazy and use the
    > > > classic hysterical female stereotype to describe her. It get's used for
    > > > Jana Pitman, and quite a few female politicians too.

    > <snip>
    > > oh i dunno. Jana should shutup and perform. apparently you can run
    > > faster when a camera isnt in front of you...
    > > doesnt seem to happen to the meares, carrigan, et al.

    > <snip>
    > Hey, do they run? Awesome! More cyclists should take to running...

    With a bat? Or maybe an axe handle?

  15. Donga

    Donga Guest

    FD:
    >and it get home and there is KAth on the front cover of the real-estate (Weekly) times.

    I should be so lucky to have a cycling legend on the front cover. I got
    home and saw that Pauline Pantsdown has decided to sell real estate in
    my area and got lots of free publicity from our lowbrow media.

    Donga

  16. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    ... between her ears???

    F"ploise erxplane"Dutch

  17. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    Haaa, I used to get that a bit when my hair was peroxide blonde!! Oh the shame.

  18. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    You must live near me because I got the same sh!t. That's the only paper that hasn't been shredded by my dog in weeks.

    Lotte

  19. warrwych

    warrwych New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    1,009
    I was very impressed they knew of her (unless of course it was another cycling Kathy to whom they referred hehehe :confused: )

  20. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Lotte:
    >That's the only paper that hasn't been shredded by my dog in weeks.

    You have a most discriminating dog! Either that or he's scared Pauline
    might get to hear of it and drop around to give him a verbal towelling
    - ploise exploin!

    Donga