Katrina bicycle donation effort

Veloise

Guest
Hi folks--
Wandering through the newsgroup for the Baton Rouge B-Club, I
noticed references to "Baton Rouge Rolls." (Don't bother googling it,
you'll get the high-falutin' car dealership.)

It would seem that various communities in other places are
collecting used bikes to send to BR. These are then donated to some of
the approx 500,000 guests and new residents. Why? 'Cause they've
doubled the population of the area. The roadway system is not designed
to handle this sudden influx. (Imagine your smallish town and a big
cross-state tour comes to visit. But they stay for months, and they
either don't have bikes or they don't have anything.) The bike club is
either coordinating the effort or helping out in a big way (can't quite
tell from the postings).

Seattle: they collected 365 bikes in one day. Local wrenches and
volunteers put them into a semblance of running order. Loaded on a
truck, and down the road they go.

I've asked my contact for a couple of paragraphs on this for my
club's newsletter, and as soon as I get same will share with y'all. So
go see what's in the garage!

--Karen D.
with Louisiana roots

"Veloise" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Seattle: they collected 365 bikes in one day. Local wrenches and
> volunteers put them into a semblance of running order. Loaded on a
> truck, and down the road they go.

This was done through Bike Works. See here: http://www.bikeworks.org/. I won
a drawing at work to direct some money we had raised for the Combined Fund,
and I designated Bike Works to receive the money. I think they're a great
organization.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Dear sir

We take a liberty to introduce overselves as one of the
leading manufaturer & exporters of complets bicycle & parts in the name
and brand ACTION which moves around the globe.

Our products r manufatured by the expert tecnicians as
per international standard specifications. Due to durability and
competitive prices, we r getting repeated orders from our overseas
valued customers.

Being an orginal manufaturer we will provide you a
superior quality at most economical prices, for more information you
may visit our web site www.kmkintl.com . if you require any other
information feel free to contact us we will provide u the same, with
pleasure. In hope of your favorable reply.

with best regards

Deepak sharma

Kay Em Kay International
347 Industrial area a
Ludhiana 141003
India
Phone No = 91-161-2512621 to 24
Fax No = 91-161-2512625

Dear sir

We take a liberty to introduce overselves as one of the
leading manufaturer & exporters of complets bicycle & parts in the name
and brand ACTION which moves around the globe.

Our products r manufatured by the expert tecnicians as
per international standard specifications. Due to durability and
competitive prices, we r getting repeated orders from our overseas
valued customers.

Being an orginal manufaturer we will provide you a
superior quality at most economical prices, for more information you
may visit our web site www.kmkintl.com . if you require any other
information feel free to contact us we will provide u the same, with
pleasure. In hope of your favorable reply.

with best regards

Deepak sharma

[email protected]

Dear sir

We take a liberty to introduce overselves as one of the
leading manufaturer & exporters of complets bicycle & parts in the name
and brand ACTION which moves around the globe.

Our products r manufatured by the expert tecnicians as
per international standard specifications. Due to durability and
competitive prices, we r getting repeated orders from our overseas
valued customers.

Being an orginal manufaturer we will provide you a
superior quality at most economical prices, for more information you
may visit our web site www.kmkintl.com . if you require any other
information feel free to contact us we will provide u the same, with
pleasure. In hope of your favorable reply.

with best regards

Deepak sharma

Kay Em Kay International
347 Indistrian Area A
Ludhiana 141003
India
Phone No : 91-161-2512621 to 24
Fax No : 91-161-2512625

I wrote:
> ..."Baton Rouge Rolls." ...
> I've asked my contact for a couple of paragraphs on this for my club's newsletter, and > as soon as I get same will share with y'all. So go see what's in the garage!

Here's a link to an article about it in their local alternative paper:
http://2theadvocate.com/stories/111105/new_peo001.shtml

Now I need a how-to. Guessing that Yellow donated their services too.

Yo, spammer: this is about GIVING BICYCLES AWAY FOR FREE. It is not
about buying or selling bicycles. This is not an opportunity for you to
hawk "complets bicycle & parts in the name and brand ACTION." Look at
what Kryptonite did (it's in the article)..

--Karen D.