Katy Trail ride?

Nathan

Guest
Anyone doing this summer's Katy Trail ride? If you are, where are you from?

Nate

> "Nathan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Anyone doing this summer's Katy Trail ride? If you are, where are you
>
> from?
>
>>Nate

I've gone so far as to ask for that week off for vacation. But I'm holding out actually registering
'til I see how the vREX handles the gravel.

> m..leuck wrote: I've read about it but what is the road surface like?

Flat and gravelly, most of it is packed pretty hard. Though you do have to watch for the odd
loose bits.

m..leuck wrote:
> I've read about it but what is the road surface like?

It is extremely fine limestone called screenings. A little riding and walking on it packs it down
smooth fairly quickly, but it is soft in the early spring due to frost heave over winter.

Nate, I will be doing a KATY ride in May.

I saw folks around Jeff using USS on the Trail last year.

Randy Niere

"Randy N." wrote:

> m..leuck wrote:
> > I've read about it but what is the road surface like?
>
> It is extremely fine limestone called screenings. A little riding and walking on it packs it down
> smooth fairly quickly, but it is soft in the early spring due to frost heave over winter....

Limestone screenings are what are leftover after quarried limestone is crushed to produce a
particular gradation, e.g. use as aggregate in concrete. The fines [1] content and overall gradation
may vary widely which will affect its stability as a bearing surface, particularly with changes in
moisture content. The thickness and degree of compaction of the limestone screenings surface course
and the support provided by the subgrade will also affect stability under wheel loadings.

[1] Particles smaller than 0.075 mm in diameter.

"dan schaper" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... ...
> I've gone so far as to ask for that week off for vacation. But I'm holding out actually
> registering 'til I see how the vREX handles the gravel.

I did the DNR ride the last 2 summers, last year on a Rocket with Comp Pools. The only problem I had
was at a few road-trail intersections where there was 2" or so gravel. Some washout sections were
rough but ridable. The 6" rock I hit in a parking lot is another matter... still have the scars.

Earlier in the season it does tend to be a little more difficult.

Mike U

> > "Nathan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>Anyone doing this summer's Katy Trail ride? If you are, where are you
> >
> > from?
> >
> >>Nate
> >

> > m..leuck wrote: I've read about it but what is the road surface like?
>
> Flat and gravelly, most of it is packed pretty hard. Though you do have to watch for the odd
> loose bits.

I live in the St. Louis area and used to ride the Katy trail all the time when I had a mt. bike. Now
I only have bents and have only rode it a couple of times on a bent. It definitely is not the most
suitable surface for any road type bike. I recommend wider tires and fenders. The white dust from
the crushed limestone is nasty. It will chew up, chains, cogs, chainwheels, bearings, etc. If your
bike is black, it will be white after a day of riding on the Katy. If it rains that is another
story, the limestone turns into milky type liquid that cover you and your bike, it makes a total
mess and is a nightmare to ride in. The worse time to ride the trail is June through August. It is
hot and humid and dusty, with pop up thunderstorms that turn the trail into soup. I always thought
October was the best time to ride when the leaves are changing color and there is a chill in the
air. The heavy morning dew and cooler air keeps the trail from being so dusty. An old beater bike is
the best type to ride on the trail. Its just hard for me to ride a $1000+ bent on the trail knowing
the damage that is being done. I am not trying to scare you away from the trail because there are
beautiful stretches along the trail with high river bluffs and beautiful scenery. There are a lot of
neat towns and wineries along the trail and some very good places to eat. I am just trying to
forewarn you what to expect (especially on a week long ride) as for as trail conditions go, believe
me I know, I have been there.

John

"m..leuck" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:u5Raa.25539$L1.5532@sccrnsc02...
> I've read about it but what is the road surface like?
>
> "Nathan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Anyone doing this summer's Katy Trail ride? If you are, where are you
> from?
> >
> > Nate

I was thinking of just doing it by myself, but I think I'm going to give the SAG approach a go. It
is $210 for the trip, but w/ food and what not I think it will be worth it. I read somewhere that
there were more than a few bents last year so it might be a fun ride w/ some other bent riders. For
an extra $40 they will shuttle me back to my car that I'll leave in Clinton, which is nice.

I'll bet May will be a lot more enjoyable than late June!

Nate

Shortboat wrote:

> > it rains that is another story, the limestone turns into milky type liquid that cover you and
> > your bike, it makes a total mess and is a nightmare to ride in. The worse
>
> I had heard the same report about the trail being in poor condition in the spring to the point of
> impassable. I found this to not be the case. I rode during a very raining period where some
> flooding was reported on near by rivers. Yet the trail was in good condition and I did not
> experience the liquid soup or mud mentioned above. I think this reverts back to when the trail was
> first built. I think more limestone has been added and compacted since then....

The condition of the trail when wet will depend on the amount of rock flour fines (particles smaller
than 0.075 mm) in the screenings. Too little fines (~<6-8%) will result in a loose surface, while
too many (~<12-15%) will result in a soft "pumping" surface when wet.

I've ridden the areas around Jeff City many times, and once from Sedalia to Clinton and have never
had any problems w/ the trail, or snakes for that matter :)

I've always heard that the Jeff City -> St. Charles leg is the area you might run into troubles w/
the quality of the trail. I think that is one of the newer parts of the trail (relatively speaking)
so maybe that explains it. I have never ridden that leg, so I don't know if that is the case or not.

Nate

[email protected] (Shortboat) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > it rains that is another story, the limestone turns into milky type liquid that cover you and
> > your bike, it makes a total mess and is a nightmare to ride in. The worse
>
> I had heard the same report about the trail being in poor condition in the spring to the point of
> impassable. I found this to not be the case. I rode during a very raining period where some
> flooding was reported on near by rivers. Yet the trail was in good condition and I did not
> experience the liquid soup or mud mentioned above. I think this reverts back to when the trail was
> first built. I think more limestone has been added and compacted since then. I had also read some
> of Leiws and Clarks writtings on their adventures along the river. They stated their path up unto
> the bluffs were blocked by dens of rattle snakes. Being from the North I have never seen a rattle
> snake and both my wife and I were frightened by the thought of this. We had read several ride
> reports of sightings of snakes on the trail. This too turn out to be a false report.

[email protected] (Shortboat) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > it rains that is another story, the limestone turns into milky type liquid that cover you and
> > your bike, it makes a total mess and is a nightmare to ride in. The worse
>
> I had heard the same report about the trail being in poor condition in the spring to the point of
> impassable. I found this to not be the case. I rode during a very raining period where some
> flooding was reported on near by rivers. Yet the trail was in good condition and I did not
> experience the liquid soup or mud mentioned above. I think this reverts back to when the trail was
> first built. I think more limestone has been added and compacted since then. I had also read some
> of Leiws and Clarks writtings on their adventures along the river. They stated their path up unto
> the bluffs were blocked by dens of rattle snakes. Being from the North I have never seen a rattle
> snake and both my wife and I were frightened by the thought of this. We had read several ride
> reports of sightings of snakes on the trail. This too turn out to be a false report.

If you would like to ride the trail for just a day try riding out of Rocheport. It is a very
neat part of the trail with bluffs and tunnel. A nice place to stay is the KATY O'neil B&B.
Rodney O'neil is the owner and has crossed the U.S. several times on bikes. He has forty that he
loans to people that stay at his B&B. The Trailside Bike Shop is located right on the trail and
you can rent recumbents there. (EZ 1's) I stayed with Rod for a couple of days last year and had
a great time. I road a Rocket that trip and found the trail to be very firm from some rains that
week. The bike shop also has the cleanest little cafe I have ever eaten in. The town has several
buildings on the natioal registry and is really a nice place to stay. Have Fun! Gar Rhodes

There are definately snakes on the trail. Sometimes they're hard to avoid. Plain old green and
black snakes. But I've never heard of a rattlesnake on or near the trail. They're supposed to be
relatively rare in Missouri. The trail conditions do vary from location to location and year to
year. Every year some piece of it is washed out by rain or the Missouri river, and it needs to
be repaired.

"Shortboat" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > it rains that is another story, the limestone turns into milky type liquid that cover you and
> > your bike, it makes a total mess and
is
> >a nightmare to ride in. The worse
>
> I had heard the same report about the trail being in poor condition in the spring to the point of
> impassable. I found this to not be the case. I
rode
> during a very raining period where some flooding was reported on near by rivers. Yet the trail was
> in good condition and I did not experience the liquid soup or mud mentioned above. I think this
> reverts back to when the trail was first built. I think more limestone has been added and
compacted
> since then. I had also read some of Leiws and Clarks writtings on their adventures along the
> river. They stated their path up unto the bluffs
were
> blocked by dens of rattle snakes. Being from the North I have never seen
> rattle snake and both my wife and I were frightened by the thought of
this. We
> had read several ride reports of sightings of snakes on the trail. This
too
> turn out to be a false report.

Thanks to all for the info, the only information I had up to now is a phone call from someone in St
Charles who said it was a lousy surface

"Randy N." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> m..leuck wrote:
> > I've read about it but what is the road surface like?
>

> It is extremely fine limestone called screenings. A little riding and walking on it packs it down
> smooth fairly quickly, but it is soft in the early spring due to frost heave over winter.
>

> Nate, I will be doing a KATY ride in May.
>
> I saw folks around Jeff using USS on the Trail last year.
>
> Randy Niere

Nate, Here are pictures from Herman to Rocheport, in case you havent seen them.

http://65.64.114.185/Personal/katyjournal2.htm

Randy