Kava WS 1490

Gage Deltona

Guest
Most clinical references to Kava refer to extract WS 1490. Does anyone of any information about this
extract? Who manufactures it? Where can one obtain it? What's so special about WS 1490?

Thank you, Gage

On 26 Jan 2004 11:22:08 -0800, Gage Deltona wrote:

> Most clinical references to Kava refer to extract WS 1490. Does anyone of any information about
> this extract? Who manufactures it? Where can one obtain it? What's so special about WS 1490?
>
> Thank you, Gage

WS1490 was a synthetic version of a kavalactone called kavain. It was combined with a full-spectrum,
natural kava extract to form a product called Laitian (sp) 100. Synthetic kavalactones (or more
correctly, pyrones) have been around for about 20 years, but always showed poor results in clinical
trials compared with the natural extracts. The German pharmaceutical manufacturer of WS1490 and
Laitian 100 claimed that the problem with the synthetics is that they have a very poor bioabsorption
rate, and that, for reasons not ascertained, when combined with the full-spectrum of kavalactones,
the absorption rate increases dramatically. So in effect, they "turbo-charged" a natural kava
extract with additional kavain; about 60% synthetic to 40% natural (or thereabouts).

To my knowledge, synthetic kava products were only sold in Europe. The herbal manufacturers horned
their way into the market claiming that "all natural" is best; they even tried to get the proposed
bans to apply only to synthetic kavalactones. I do not believe that WS1490 is manufactured anymore
because of all of the European bans on kava products. It took me a long time to track this info
down, and finally found it only in cached web pages written in German.

IMO, if/when kava is rehabilitated after the liver damage scare, there is a tremendous opportunity
for an OTC pharmaceutical company in developing an extremely effective and safe anxiolytic drug. If
I only had a few million dollars to spare......

Figaro