Kayak trailer

joelmgarton

Jan 24, 2010
Hey. New member. G'day.
I have been a silly boy and been banished to the world of 'Bikes only',:eek:. As someone who had already discovered the joys of cycling it's not too big a deal but it does limit my getting away from it all. I like to kayak and without the Ute I haven't been able to indulge. I have built myself a great little trailer for camping and am thinking of turning my skills to a trailer for my kayak but don't want to go to all that effort and then find I am not allowed on the road. I did find a site, Carryfreedom.com, which spoke of extending the draw bar on one of their trailers to tow a kayak but they are in the States. Since becoming a fulltime cyclist I have done some research into power assisted bikes and found that there is some limiting legislation in Australia. Can anyone tell me if there is a limit on the length of the load a bicycle can tow. I am in Queensland by the way.

Joel

I use a trailer from Wike to tow my kayak, it comes in two parts, a cart and a yoke that goes on the bow of the boat. The cart is straightforward, but the yoke needs some customizing to fit a specific boat. I tow a 13 foot kayak around town, even through traffic with very few problems:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfIaEUMPryE]YouTube - Towing a kayak with a bicycle through downtown Ottawa[/ame]

Don't know about Australia, but AFAIK, there aren't any regulations in North America regarding the length of what you can tow with your bike. I recently did a trip across New York state combining cycling and paddling using a 14 ft boat and a folding bike. If you are interested, check out my tour blog