Kayak Trailers

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Stratrider, Feb 26, 2003.

  1. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    Has anyone ever seen a bike trailer that could be used to tow a kayak?

    Jim Reilly Reading, PA

    Tags:

  2. Jay

    Jay Guest

    >stratrider at [email protected] wrote on 2/26/03 2:58 PM: Has anyone ever seen a bike trailer that
    >could be used to tow a kayak?

    I have seen homebuilt options (canoes, surfboards, etc) in old magazines. Does anyone want me to
    search for them?

    A poster on the ihpva (trikes) list had an overhead rack built for his tandem trike to facilitate
    such loads.

  3. "stratrider" skrev...
    > Has anyone ever seen a bike trailer that could be used to tow a kayak?

    There was a thread on towing a hang glider. http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=hang%20glider&ie=U-
    TF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_ugroup=alt.rec.bicycles.recu mbent&lr=&hl=da (you will have to assemble link)

    Might be a trailer there you could modify.

    Mikael

  4. It couldn't be real tricky to modify one to take standard kayak supports, but you'de probably need a
    longer tongue for clearance.

    "stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone ever seen a bike trailer that could be used to tow a kayak?
    >
    > Jim Reilly Reading, PA

  5. "stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone ever seen a bike trailer that could be used to tow a kayak?
    >
    > Jim Reilly Reading, PA

    I have a kayak trailer made to 1) carry a kayak and 2) attach to the rear quick release. I forget
    the "brand" of trailer, but I simply did a web search and found it. If you are seriously interested,
    I can go the storage unit and read off the info.

    Some comments: 1) the trailer does work well - tracks straight, no real problems with the 'bent
    (but, it is a trike), 2) the trailer has a large arm attached to wheels - the trailer stays ashore
    (unlike a previous poster who used removable wheels that can be stowed in the kayak), and 3) I
    discovered that I did not want to leave my trike and trailer ashore while kayaking - it was too
    tempting to vandals/thieves.

    The third point is what stopped me from using the trike/trailer combo. It was nice to pedal to my
    put-in spot, but I came back early one time to see some folks "examining" my combo a little too
    intensely for my comfort. If you have a beater bike, then it might not be a problem. Cable locks are
    too easily defeated by a determined thief.

    YMMV.

    Michael Pilla

  6. R.White

    R.White Guest

  7. That be a Greespeed Tandem Tadpole belonging to Guy Briggs (gawd I hope I spelled his name correct
    this time), anyway his tandem carries a full size canoe (on top), like a canopy for the trike. I
    cannot remember the link, but I did see a Trailer (designed) to carry a Kayak. The ONLY trailer that
    could work is BAW at http://www.bikesatwork.com/products/truss-frame-bike-trailer.shtml
    --------------------
    "Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA828F4D.43C6%[email protected]...
    > >stratrider at [email protected] wrote on 2/26/03 2:58 PM: Has anyone ever seen a bike trailer
    > >that could be used to tow a kayak?
    >
    > I have seen homebuilt options (canoes, surfboards, etc) in old magazines. Does anyone want me to
    > search for them?
    >
    > A poster on the ihpva (trikes) list had an overhead rack built for his tandem trike to facilitate
    > such loads.

  8. In the March issue of Adventure Cyclist on page 17 there is a picture of Michael Read towing a kiyak
    behind his Bike Friday. They list his e-mail address as: [email protected]

    --

    Daniel T. W. Lum, M.D. Northwestern University, Evanston, IL. USA [email protected]

  9. Most kayak dealers have a small set of wheels that fit on a Kayak. I put my bike at the take out. I
    take the wheels and kayak with me to the put
    in. I then ride the river to my bike. I put the wheels on the tail of the kayak and tie the nose of
    the kayak to the bike. I then return to the car towing the kayak behind the bike.

    I don't need caravan to kayak and am safe alone on class 3 and below.
    --
    Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my Linear, my front drive low racer and our M5 tandem.