Kayak Trailers

Stratrider

Guest
Has anyone ever seen a bike trailer that could be used to tow a kayak?

Jim Reilly Reading, PA

>stratrider at [email protected] wrote on 2/26/03 2:58 PM: Has anyone ever seen a bike trailer that
>could be used to tow a kayak?

I have seen homebuilt options (canoes, surfboards, etc) in old magazines. Does anyone want me to
search for them?

A poster on the ihpva (trikes) list had an overhead rack built for his tandem trike to facilitate
such loads.

"stratrider" skrev...
> Has anyone ever seen a bike trailer that could be used to tow a kayak?

There was a thread on towing a hang glider. http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=hang%20glider&ie=U-
TF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_ugroup=alt.rec.bicycles.recu mbent&lr=&hl=da (you will have to assemble link)

Might be a trailer there you could modify.

Mikael

It couldn't be real tricky to modify one to take standard kayak supports, but you'de probably need a
longer tongue for clearance.

"stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone ever seen a bike trailer that could be used to tow a kayak?
>
> Jim Reilly Reading, PA

"stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Has anyone ever seen a bike trailer that could be used to tow a kayak?
>
> Jim Reilly Reading, PA

I have a kayak trailer made to 1) carry a kayak and 2) attach to the rear quick release. I forget
the "brand" of trailer, but I simply did a web search and found it. If you are seriously interested,
I can go the storage unit and read off the info.

Some comments: 1) the trailer does work well - tracks straight, no real problems with the 'bent
(but, it is a trike), 2) the trailer has a large arm attached to wheels - the trailer stays ashore
(unlike a previous poster who used removable wheels that can be stowed in the kayak), and 3) I
discovered that I did not want to leave my trike and trailer ashore while kayaking - it was too
tempting to vandals/thieves.

The third point is what stopped me from using the trike/trailer combo. It was nice to pedal to my
put-in spot, but I came back early one time to see some folks "examining" my combo a little too
intensely for my comfort. If you have a beater bike, then it might not be a problem. Cable locks are
too easily defeated by a determined thief.

YMMV.

Michael Pilla

That be a Greespeed Tandem Tadpole belonging to Guy Briggs (gawd I hope I spelled his name correct
this time), anyway his tandem carries a full size canoe (on top), like a canopy for the trike. I
cannot remember the link, but I did see a Trailer (designed) to carry a Kayak. The ONLY trailer that
could work is BAW at http://www.bikesatwork.com/products/truss-frame-bike-trailer.shtml
--------------------
"Jay" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BA828F4D.43C6%[email protected]...
> >stratrider at [email protected] wrote on 2/26/03 2:58 PM: Has anyone ever seen a bike trailer
> >that could be used to tow a kayak?
>
> I have seen homebuilt options (canoes, surfboards, etc) in old magazines. Does anyone want me to
> search for them?
>
> A poster on the ihpva (trikes) list had an overhead rack built for his tandem trike to facilitate
> such loads.

In the March issue of Adventure Cyclist on page 17 there is a picture of Michael Read towing a kiyak
behind his Bike Friday. They list his e-mail address as: [email protected]

--

Daniel T. W. Lum, M.D. Northwestern University, Evanston, IL. USA [email protected]

Most kayak dealers have a small set of wheels that fit on a Kayak. I put my bike at the take out. I
take the wheels and kayak with me to the put
in. I then ride the river to my bike. I put the wheels on the tail of the kayak and tie the nose of
the kayak to the bike. I then return to the car towing the kayak behind the bike.

I don't need caravan to kayak and am safe alone on class 3 and below.
--
Bill "Pop Pop" Patterson Retired and riding my Linear, my front drive low racer and our M5 tandem.