Keep Breaking Shimano Freehub

colson

Sep 4, 2006
I bought a new Scott Reflex 20 about a month ago and have since broken the freehub twice (shimano 400 something, one below deore). I am about 6'5" 240lbs and do rocky trails about two to three times a week. The place where I bought it from is replacing them for free, which is nice but I am tired of walking home a couple of miles over trails. They called shimano and their shimano rep said I must have had two bad freehubs because it takes inhuman strenght to break one. He also said that even if I upgrade to XTR, the freehub would not be any stronger. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Cory

colson said:
I bought a new Scott Reflex 20 about a month ago and have since broken the freehub twice (shimano 400 something, one below deore). I am about 6'5" 240lbs and do rocky trails about two to three times a week. The place where I bought it from is replacing them for free, which is nice but I am tired of walking home a couple of miles over trails. They called shimano and their shimano rep said I must have had two bad freehubs because it takes inhuman strenght to break one. He also said that even if I upgrade to XTR, the freehub would not be any stronger. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Cory
Honestly, I'd be for checking the derailleur hanger alignment and rear derailleur adjustment. Shelling out two Shimano freehub bodies in that short of a time is lottery odds.

I (90kg) have managed to break a pawl in a 105 freehub body once (it still worked), but I've otherwise never heard of 2 breakages in a short period of time. A simple step might be to upgrade to a higher "quality" level, but not to the highest, where strength and durability are sometimes sacrificed for weight savings. Why not try Deore LX level (unless it's the same freehub body!)?
NB: I'm not making these recommendations with real knowledge of the relevant strengths of these parts - take it with a grain of salt.

when i bought my 96 930 STEEL trek it came with a shimano silent hub which i broke than an lx hub same thing the paws broke.since than i've been using a hugi hub the older big silver on whith no problems.Guys or size put alot of torque especially in 22x34 granny.myself being 6'5" and 250 to300ish depending if i have a girlfriend and not riding or no girlfriend but get to ride 3to4 days a week i guess i need to find a girlfriend that is a bike geek like me.that is it hope this is helpfull
STEEL IS REAL
Latter CLYDS PAUL
colson said:

thanks
Cory