Keep left on bike paths!

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by biker jk, Feb 27, 2006.

1. biker jk

biker jk New Member

A weekend doesn't go buy when idiots (young and old) cycle on the right-hand side of cycle paths, usually on blind bends. I've lost count of the number of near crashes I've averted. Please, please, please ride on the left-hand side of the pathway and educate your children to do likewise. Now don't get me started on the pedestrians!

Tags:

2. 1id10t

1id10t New Member

I agree...learn to stay on the left!!
    Then there are the groups who like to ride side by side. I was out with some friends at Sydney Olympic Park. We were cycling past the brick pit heading back toward the mangrove area. Ahead of us there were half a dozen cyclists casually riding their hired bikes taking up the entire space. We had to move over to the left almost scraping against the bush just to avoid them. They didn't even move a little. I was so stunned I didn't say a thing but I was damn annoyed afterward.:mad:
    Unfortunately, I don't think it's just cyclists. No one adheres to the keep left or move over to the left rule anymore; walking along footpaths, standing on escalators, driving cars etc.

3. tzama

tzama New Member

not to mention people walking dogs... why do they jump out in front of you the last mintue?

ohhh.... not to mention the owner is holding its leash !!!!!!!!!!

4. Bruski

Bruski New Member

Small rant ahead.

I'm not a particulary fast rider but when i approach a couple of pedestrians walking side by side i ring my bell to let them klnow i'm there and expect that they will give a quick glance and move to the left. Alas I have never had this happen. Usually the pedestrians act stunned as if they have never seen a bike on the shared pathway before, and then proceed to either continue to block the path or move to the right, directly into the path of the oncoming bike. I then get thinking about an education campaign that should be run in mass media/schools. This is going to be more of a problem as the fuel crisis gets worse and people start riding more. Not only for rules courtesy on paths but also roads. When are cars going to get the message that bikes are entitled to travel ON the road?

Having said that I have seen one sign on the Mullum Mullum trail that has some rules/hints for pedestrians/riders to get along better, but I must be the only rider/pedestrian going slow enough to read the bloody thing.:eek:

sorry for the rant,
    Bruce

5. jur

jur New Member

I have found the sound of my bell carries quite a long distance so these days I start pinging long before so that peds can react in time. I found it's those instances that I didn't ring in time that they act dumb and jump all over the path. I also ring in all cases whether there's enough room or not. More often than not I get a thank you.

Anything else but a bell does not work. I tried one of those dorky honka-hootas: Peds are largely unaware of what this sound might be. Shouting just scares the hell out of them. Just get a good loud piercing bell.

Dogs off leash, well what can you do but take care?

AFAIK, there is a maximum speed limit of 20km/h. I for one would hate to see that limit enforced because some cyclists use these paths as their personal race tracks with little regard for other users. I often ride 35, but always ready to slow down quickly if the situation demands it.

6. Wrightstuff

Wrightstuff New Member

I agree totally but I also think most of our shared bike paths aren't up to standard for commuter cyclists. They are not wide enough or smooth enough for high speed cycling, especially when cyclists are drafting each other.

I ride on sections of road and on bike path when commuting. I compromise my riding on the bike path so that whenever I see a ped or dog or even a bunch of oncoming cyclists, I slow a bit and prepare for the unexpected. Dont really like doing it, but what the hell I am going to work. Does it really matter if I am that couple of minutes later, and have all my skin intact.

We need to push for better bike paths and also encourage the really high speed cyclists onto the road.

My rant is that I hate the cars that keep so left that a cyclist cant slip past them safely when the cars have stopped.

7. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

Any bike path that permits pedestrians is fatally compromised. It's not the pedestrians' fault - they shouldn't have to wear the risk of being mown down by a cyclist, and can't be expected to react in the way an approaching cyclist might predict. I'll only use bike-only paths, or else the road.

8. biker jk

biker jk New Member

I agree there should be more signage warning that paths are used by bicycles. perhaps some bike symbols painted on the paths. Many peds look surprised to see a bike behind them! I sometimes ring my bell half a dozen times to no effect and find shouting works better. There's also the idiots with headphones oblivious to anything going on around them. I've also had peds getting upset when I do ring the bell. You can't win. BTW, there's NO speed limit on paths in NSW, but of course it's prudent to slow down when peds are in line of sight.

9. WrxAnt

WrxAnt New Member

Riding along shared paths can be a problem.

Announcing your presence with a bell works well as lame as bells may seem to some.

At the end of the day the bike paths were never designed to combine cyclists travelling at 35km/h+ and pedestrians. They just don't mix.

And the fact that many of the bike paths I travel combine playgroups, parks and off the leash dog areas just goes to show the intention of many of these paths.

I slow down approaching pedestrians and blind spots and I can honestly say I've only had near misses with other cyclists, usually when other cyclists don't afford pedestrains a little courtesy when overtaking.

And by the appearance of these cyclists they would be the cyclists I expect more common sesne from.

As with most things common sense applies

Cheers
    Ant

10. robalert

robalert New Member

i got a Air Zound... that gets everyone outta the way... :p

seriously tho, we need to be courteous if you want to be treated nicely on the roads etc...

i always drop my speed down on bikepaths to around 20km/h and even slower if there are lots of ppl

try not to scare pedestrians and be nice... say thank you once they have moved... so they don't get in the car and run over the next cyclist

my collegue tells me about their constant battle between pedestrians and cyclist in Oatley... the cyclist almost kill themselves and pedestrians due their ridiculous speeds

i think if we are impatient and rude to pedestrians... how are motorist expected to be any different on the road...

personally, i'd have no hestation in protecting my wife or baby if there was an idiotic cyclist flying down the cycleway/footpath....

yes keep left is the rule... but i think more importantly lets be patient and courteous at all times obeying all the rules ourselves...

if you want max speed, go and ride on a freeway...

11. parawolf

parawolf New Member

I do this too... if it is a cramped shared path, sound the bell, if the ped steps left and even comes to a stop (or if walking two abreast, then go single file) I always say "thank you".

You have to ride to what you think the situation is. I have never seen nor heard of a '20km/h' limit on shared pathways. It certainly is not in the VicRoads rules for cyclists. More often then not my speedo is pushing 30+km/h where possible (where the path can sustain that safely). If the path is not wide enough (Capital City Trail - North Fitzroy/North Carlton) then slower it is. However i'm pondering riding on the road in those locations...

12. jur

jur New Member

I have seen a 20km/h limit posted somewhere once. Perhaps mistakenly assumed that that instance was indicative of a universal.

13. jamesc

jamesc New Member

For the main Kwinana/Mitchell freeway bike path here in Perth, I find shouting "bike" gets peds to move and I always follow it up by a "thank you". Most locals would know this is a commuter path and peds south of the river generally are in greater numbers on the Mt Henry and Canning bridges circuit which is a 6 km loop.

I notice in that a lot of the newer paths under construction seem to be made wider to accomodate both bikes and pedestrians.

14. number31

number31 New Member

yeah most people are pretty good but u still get the housewives who think they can walk three a breast on a 3 lane path round the south perth area. One woman this morning was on the left hand side of the path but let her more dangerous dog wonder in the middle/right of the other lane. I recently bought a bell to counter this and it seems to work well.

15. biker jk

biker jk New Member

I went for an evening ride last night and half a dozen morons were walking on the right hand side of the path. I had to tell them that we walk/drive/ride on the left in Australia and received abuse from one chap for my troubles. Apart from the need for clear signage on the path saying keep left, perhaps migrants need to be educated about some important laws/rules in Australia.

16. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

I have a new loud bell on the Felt for just the same path. The problem is, these (Burswood-Narrows) are set walks fo the ante-natal classes and they still use them for social walks after having their babies.

17. mjs4300

mjs4300 New Member

There is a great pathway on the Redcliffe peninsular in Brisbane. It runs for about 15klm along the beach and Moreton bay. Peds here are so bad! They line up ten wide and no matter how loud or long your ring your bell they ignore you. (the path is that wide)

Though Brisbane roads would have to be the worst for motorists. They give no room, shout out the window throw stuff at you, and swerve at you. 4 weeks ago I had a low loader run me into a gutter. I don't understand the mentality :confused: .

What do we have to do to get a fair go? Soapbox is put away now

:D :D

18. robalert

robalert New Member

i have yet to not get a response from my Zound horn... 115Db is hard to ignore

19. mjs4300

mjs4300 New Member

I have thought of getting one of the horns that are used to start foot races and on the water to warn other boats that you are coming. Perhaps that might make a difference. A bit like the little dog with the big mean bark. Once you look over the fence your not scared any more :eek: :D :D

20. db69

db69 New Member

Try getting the ring of a bell over the top of traffic noise. I gave up!
    Now days I call out 'coming through' at a reasonable distance. Again if there is no response. It gets their attention and most will step to the left. Most I mean husbands who swing an arm around their wife and pull to the left, almost saying 'no this way dear'. Always remember to clearly say CHEERS when passing, its just good manners, sets a good example and vibe.
    But has anyone had the Guy who is heading towards you on a shared path, can clearly see you coming and deliberately keeps to his right and challenges you to go through him. Yeh their out there. Mucho I hate cyclist path nazi. His mate/girl friend/whatever is next to him taking up the rest of the path and you've got no where left to go. You come to a stop and he stares you down as if he's won. This has happened, I smiled and let the loser pass. Not going to stuff up my ride.

Cheers, DB