Keep Left?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John Antrobus, Jun 13, 2003.

  1. When riding on a dedicated cycle path, is there any protocol for passing oncoming cyclists? I would
    have thought that as road traffic keeps to the left in this country, the same would apply to cycle
    paths, but on my daily commute, I seem to be the only one to think this - everyone else either
    panics or pretends I'm not there at all!

    Tags:

  2. Paul Kelly

    Paul Kelly Guest

    "John Antrobus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > When riding on a dedicated cycle path, is there any protocol for passing oncoming cyclists? I
    > would have thought that as road traffic keeps to the left in this country, the same would apply to
    > cycle paths, but on my daily commute, I seem to be the only one to think this - everyone else
    > either panics or pretends I'm not there at all!

    Perennial problem in Richmond park - I think like you but many don't seem to. Particular problem wrt
    pedestrians and runners: Convention on the road is traffic keep left, pedestrians on the right, the
    park cycle track is totally random!

  3. > When riding on a dedicated cycle path, is there any protocol for passing oncoming cyclists? I
    > would have thought that as road traffic keeps to the left in this country, the same would apply to
    > cycle paths,

    And the protocol for pedestrians, of course, on roads without pavements, is to walk on the right
    side of the road, to face oncoming traffic.

    Jeremy Parker

  4. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "Paul Kelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "John Antrobus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > When riding on a dedicated cycle path, is there any protocol for passing oncoming cyclists? I
    > > would have thought that as road traffic keeps to
    the
    > > left in this country, the same would apply to cycle paths, but on my
    daily
    > > commute, I seem to be the only one to think this - everyone else either panics or pretends I'm
    > > not there at all!
    >

    > Perennial problem in Richmond park - I think like you but many don't seem to. Particular problem
    > wrt pedestrians and runners: Convention on the road is traffic keep left, pedestrians on the
    > right, the park cycle track is totally random!

    Yup, Richmond Park is a laugh and a half. Speaking to a runner who lives locally, we should pass on
    the right as that is the convention on the road
    (i.e. they run against the traffic).

    As you say, it's a totally random affair as there is a total mix of abilities. Must be said, that
    I've never had an accident there. I make my choice early, stick with it and get ready to hit the
    brakes or go off road.
    :)

    The biggest problem once again is peds not leaving any space to pass.You'd think that having bikes
    passing you every minute or so, that you'd just leave the space for them.

  5. "John Antrobus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > When riding on a dedicated cycle path, is there any protocol for passing oncoming cyclists? I
    > would have thought that as road traffic keeps to the left in this country, the same would apply to
    > cycle paths, but on my daily commute, I seem to be the only one to think this - everyone else
    > either panics or pretends I'm not there at all!

    This is something that irritates the hell out of me. Two things: firstly, some of these lanes are
    meant to be uni-directional. Why then do some people on bikes cycle the wrong way up them when they
    are scarcely wide enough for cyclists going the right way? Secondly, when passing oncoming cyclists
    in narrow lanes (dedicated for cycles or not) it is plain enough to me that the rule of the road is
    'keep left'. Why then do these same idiots seem to want you to pass to their left? It's as if they
    have no concept of basic road usage. Perhaps they don't.

    Rich

  6. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    John Antrobus wrote:
    > When riding on a dedicated cycle path, is there any protocol for passing oncoming cyclists? I
    > would have thought that as road traffic keeps to the left in this country, the same would apply to
    > cycle paths, but on my daily commute, I seem to be the only one to think this - everyone else
    > either panics or pretends I'm not there at all!

    The usual etiquette is to ride on the left and overtake on the right, just like on the road. For
    most of the year people follow that etiquette pretty well, but when the sun comes out you get a lot
    of inexperienced cyclists who think that once they're on a cyclepath they're safe and they don't
    need to pay any attention to where they're going or what's going on around them :-(

    I find that if I stay well left and don't deviate from my course I can usually win a game of chicken
    with these people. If not, I've still got the option of ringing the bell, sounding the horn or
    yelling "keep left".

    The scariest incident I've seen with another cyclist on a cyclepath was riding along the
    Bath-Bristol path on a day when the trains were running on the Bitton Railway, which runs alongside.
    My wife nearly collided head on with a kid who was watching the chuff chuff rather than where he was
    going, and who was swerving all over the place as a result.

    Thomas Paine

  7. "Richard Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "John Antrobus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > When riding on a dedicated cycle path, is there any protocol for passing oncoming cyclists? I
    > > would have thought that as road traffic keeps to
    the
    > > left in this country, the same would apply to cycle paths, but on my
    daily
    > > commute, I seem to be the only one to think this - everyone else either panics or pretends I'm
    > > not there at all!
    > >

    > This is something that irritates the hell out of me. Two things: firstly, some of these lanes are
    > meant to be uni-directional. Why then do some people on bikes cycle the wrong way up them when
    > they are scarcely wide enough for cyclists going the right way? Secondly, when passing oncoming
    > cyclists in narrow lanes (dedicated for cycles or not) it is plain enough
    > me that the rule of the road is 'keep left'. Why then do these same
    idiots
    > seem to want you to pass to their left? It's as if they have no concept
    of
    > basic road usage. Perhaps they don't.

    We used to have this problem a lot on the Bristol-Bath track, with many cyclists riding on the right
    because "it's a cycle track". Why any rational person should think that the rules change for a cycle
    track is beyond me, but we did get the local authority to change their notices advising about how to
    use the track, to include the advice to ride on the left. I haven't heard of any problems since.

    It is an interesting point as to why anyone should think that riding on the right is correct on a
    cycle track, anyone?

    Rich

  8. Richard Burton wrote:
    > We used to have this problem a lot on the Bristol-Bath track, with many cyclists riding on the
    > right because "it's a cycle track". Why any rational person should think that the rules change for
    > a cycle track is beyond me, but we did get the local authority to change their notices advising
    > about how to use the track, to include the advice to ride on the left. I haven't heard of any
    > problems since.
    >
    > It is an interesting point as to why anyone should think that riding on the right is correct on a
    > cycle track, anyone?

    The only reason I can think of is that on shared-use pavements where the cycle lane is the same
    direction as the road, then the cycle lane is on the right, ie closest to the road. If it's not
    that, then I'm stumped :)

  9. Andy P

    Andy P Guest

    "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote

    > We used to have this problem a lot on the Bristol-Bath track, with many cyclists riding on the
    > right because "it's a cycle track". Why any
    rational
    > person should think that the rules change for a cycle track is beyond me, but we did get the local
    > authority to change their notices advising about how to use the track, to include the advice to
    > ride on the left. I
    haven't
    > heard of any problems since.
    >
    > It is an interesting point as to why anyone should think that riding on
    the
    > right is correct on a cycle track, anyone?

    The Bristol end of the track from the estate past Gardiner Haskins is marked out for bikes on the
    right and pedestrians on the left going towards Bath and obviously vice versa coming back the other
    way, bikes on the left, pedestrians on the right in the direction of travel. So it's possible for
    some non regular users to decide to stay as far to their side of the track as possible to avoid
    pedestrians without realising that anyone with the same idea coming the other way will be heading
    directly at them. The twisty approaches to the subway by the Evening Post buildings seem to create
    most problems for me because some people can't control their bikes very well and don't look very far
    ahead. Then again there's undoubtedly a few people as in all walks of life who are under the
    impression that they're the only person in the world.

  10. Tribick

    Tribick Guest

    In article <[email protected]> William Turner <[email protected]> writes:
    >From: William Turner <[email protected]> Subject: Re: Keep Left? Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003
    >20:43:35 +0100

    >The only reason I can think of is that on shared-use pavements where the cycle lane is the same
    >direction as the road, then the cycle lane is on the right, ie closest to the road. If it's not
    >that, then I'm stumped :)

    I'm reminded of an idiot who nearly crashed into me when he insisting on keeping right on the Grand
    Union canal towpath:

    Him: "You keep to the right on canals..."
    Me: "I'm not cycling on the canal..."

    Paul

  11. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "John Antrobus" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > When riding on a dedicated cycle path, is there any protocol for passing oncoming cyclists? I
    > would have thought that as road traffic keeps to the left in this country, the same would apply to
    > cycle paths, but on my daily commute, I seem to be the only one to think this - everyone else
    > either panics or pretends I'm not there at all!

    That's my experience also and a peeve. Typical scenario a couple of weeks ago: riding downhill on my
    LHS of a very wide fire road in Sherwood Pines, this leads to a dip the other side of which a male
    cyclist was approaching (also downhill due to the dip) head on, slightly behind and to his left is a
    female companion. Now our closing speed is quite fast due to the dip and I (stupid boy) assume the
    male will move to his left in front of his companion, but no, the female obviously taking her lead
    from him pulls to her right to be behind him. Why? What was so difficult about the keep left
    protocol? Confused? Well I am.

    Pete

  12. On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:26:12 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B" <[email protected]> in
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What was so difficult about the keep left protocol? Confused? Well I am.

    It annoys the hell out of me when on my own (usually as a pedestrain) I approach two people (again
    usually peds) side by side coming towards me, blocking the way, and they make a comment about my
    unwillingness to move over.

    Look: The *TWO* of you are blocking the way. It makes no difference whether or not *I* move: ONE OF
    YOU STILL HAS TO MOVE! Get it?

    --
    Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
    the @ sign

  13. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Richard Bates wrote:
    > It annoys the hell out of me when on my own (usually as a pedestrain) I approach two people (again
    > usually peds) side by side coming towards me, blocking the way, and they make a comment about my
    > unwillingness to move over.

    I find that with cyclists on the cyclepath. Surely it doesn't take a genius to work out that if you
    have a path wide enough for 2 cyclists to pass safely, but dodgy for 3 cyclists, then it makes sense
    when riding 2 abreast to move into single file when you meet someone coming the other way?

    Thomas Paine

  14. The Mark

    The Mark Guest

    Andy P wrote:
    > "Richard Burton" <[email protected]> wrote

    Then again there's undoubtedly a few people as
    > in all walks of life who are under the impression that they're the only person in the world.

    That's me I believe anything I can't see doesn't exist. I'ts only created when I need to see it,
    e.g. I left my bike in the garage last night but I can't see it now so it doesn't exist, when I go
    to the garage again, it will be recreated with everything else there. I can't see anyone else just
    now so I'm the only person in the world. :)
    --
    Mark

    I've got something special being built for me.

  15. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

  16. The Mark

    The Mark Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    > the Mark wrote:
    >> I can't see anyone else just now so I'm the only person in the world.
    >> :)
    >
    > Doesn't that make posting here somewhat futile?

    I've got to do something with my time. While my non existent kids are out playing. :)
    --
    Mark

    I've got something special being built for me.

  17. Paul Kelly

    Paul Kelly Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > The biggest problem once again is peds not leaving any space to pass.You'd think that having bikes
    > passing you every minute or so, that you'd just leave the space for them.

    <Rant Mode ON>

    Y'know what REALLY gets me going - when runners in Richmond Park run 4 or 5 abreast across the path
    leaving no space at all and make no attempt to move out of the way to let a single cyclist through
    and then give me a mouthful of abuse

    <Rant mode OFF>

    pk

  18. Steve Peake

    Steve Peake Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:13:19 +0000 (UTC), Paul Kelly wrote:

    > "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>>
    >> The biggest problem once again is peds not leaving any space to pass.You'd think that having
    >> bikes passing you every minute or so, that you'd just leave the space for them.
    >

    > <Rant Mode ON>
    >
    > Y'know what REALLY gets me going - when runners in Richmond Park run 4 or 5 abreast across the
    > path leaving no space at all and make no attempt to move out of the way to let a single cyclist
    > through and then give me a mouthful of abuse
    >
    > <Rant mode OFF>

    Strange, I've never had any problems with walkers/runners round there.

    The people I do have a problem with is some of the dumb cyclists. I don't mind saying that I ignore
    the speed limit signs around the park, but I do make a special point of slowing to crawling speed
    when passing children. The idiots that pass kids at 20+ mph need a punch in the mouth.

    Steve

  19. Paul Kelly

    Paul Kelly Guest

    "Steve Peake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:13:19 +0000 (UTC), Paul Kelly wrote:
    >>
    > Strange, I've never had any problems with walkers/runners round there.

    They are a mixed bunch - the regulars are fine the occasionals esp when there is an organised run
    coming up and people are out practicing are a pain in the butt.

    Like the drivers in the park - some (locals I think) stop and give ay to cyclists where the track
    crosses the road and smile in the process. Some speed round at stupid speeds and give way to no-one.

    > The people I do have a problem with is some of the dumb cyclists. I don't mind saying that I
    > ignore the speed limit signs around the park, but I do make a special point of slowing to crawling
    > speed when passing children. The idiots that pass kids at 20+ mph need a punch in the mouth.

    Agree on both points - all about adjusting your speed to suit the conditions. that's why we go round
    early on a Sunday morning to avoid the busy kiddie times of day.

    pk

  20. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 20:30:04 +0100, "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The scariest incident I've seen with another cyclist on a cyclepath was riding along the
    >Bath-Bristol path on a day when the trains were running on the Bitton Railway, which runs
    >alongside. My wife nearly collided head on with a kid who was watching the chuff chuff rather than
    >where he was going, and who was swerving all over the place as a result.

    You should give the stretch of "path" between Hove and Brighton a try
    - or maybe you shouldn't, assuming you want to live. The "path" is a narrow area, marked by white
    paint, along the promenade. Peds are allowed to go where they will; it is a promenade, after all.
    Cycles just have to take pot luck. Wo betide the cyclist who wanders out of the "lane" by as much
    as an inch. With bikes on the left, on the right and bang in the middle it makes for an
    interesting ride. As others have said, Danny, the warm weather brings out the "people on bikes".

    Me? I usually stay on the road.

    James