keeping cool on afternoon commutes

asterope wrote:
> Zebee Johnstone Wrote:
>> In aus.bicycle on 22 Nov 2006 21:53:43 -0800
>> Donga <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Carefully plan your rides, so that you end up in a swimming pool.
>>> :)
>>>

>> What, you saying she should become a triathlete?
>>
>> Zebee

> Donga would have to be the second person to suggest that to me
> today... i love the bike bit, like the swim bit but im not at all keen
> on the running bit... neither are my knees. plus i totally suck at all
> 3... I think i'll pass.

Hah you've just described me. I treat the run as a necessary evil so I
can enjoy the bike and swim. Now if they came up with biathlon or
duathlon that was swim and run I'd be in.

DaveB

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 24 Nov 2006 08:23:12 +1100
TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 2006-11-23, Absent Husband (aka Bruce)
>> Peter Signorini wrote:
>> Hey, it worked for Flandis, right???!!!

> Yeah, but so did having a team car with 70 bidons of water.
>
> I want a team car.

I did team motorcycle for someone once,

rigged a boom on the rack to hold wheels, and had some water in a box
on the seat.

Zebee

DaveB wrote:
> Hah you've just described me. I treat the run as a necessary evil so I
> can enjoy the bike and swim. Now if they came up with biathlon or
> duathlon that was swim and run I'd be in.
>
> DaveB

Oops, meant to say swim and ride.

DaveB

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Up to a point this is good advice, *except* that if you drink too much,
> you can make yourself very sick (and even, in extreme cases, die). I'm
> not sure of amount, but it's suprisingly little that your body can
> actually absorb before you start to have salt issues. Hyponatremia is
> the term, and it's real.

And rare. From one of your links:

"For people suffering from dehydration due to the heavy perspiration
associated with heavy exertion or heat stress, drinking water to
rehydrate is much more important than avoiding water intoxication, since
the former is extremely common and the latter is rare. One should never
avoid drinking water under such conditions; instead, other steps should
be taken to ensure that electrolytes are replaced as well, as noted
above."

--
Shane Stanley

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 24 Nov 2006 09:01:24 +1100
DaveB <[email protected]> wrote:
> DaveB wrote:
>> Hah you've just described me. I treat the run as a necessary evil so I
>> can enjoy the bike and swim. Now if they came up with biathlon or
>> duathlon that was swim and run I'd be in.
>>
>> DaveB

> Oops, meant to say swim and ride.

How about swim, ride, and rock climb? A bit of kayaking?

http://www.arocsport.com.au/about/about_ar.html

Zebee

On 2006-11-23, DaveB (aka Bruce)
> DaveB wrote:
>> Hah you've just described me. I treat the run as a necessary evil so I
>> can enjoy the bike and swim. Now if they came up with biathlon or
>> duathlon that was swim and run I'd be in.

> Oops, meant to say swim and ride.

Your freudian slip is showing. Now we know your *true* feelings.

--
TimC
Error: Furry Pointer Exception

Paulie-AU wrote:

> asterope Wrote:
> > alright, so ive properly started commuting to work every day (because my
> > scooter got a puncture and i cant be bothered getting it fixed) and the
> > past two days have been ridiculously hot for riding... i know that 28
> > degrees is not that bad and its only going to get worse as summer comes
> > along, so the question i put to you all now is...
> >
> > How does one keep cool when commuting during the hottest part of the
> > day? i feel bad about pouring the contents of my water bottle on
> > myself, id rather it go on my vege garden, but if its the only way...

> Slog it out for the first week or so. Your body will
> adapt.....painfully.
>
> There is nothing worse than sitting at a traffic light with the sun
> belting down. I hate it with a passion.

Not just the sun belting down, also the heat radiating up
off the road... nasty.
Four bidons cages remained after my triathlon phase because
during summer, I'll wear two of them!

Tam

Artoi wrote:

> On longer rides, it makes sense to have one bottle with those salty
> water and the other just plain water. The longer the ride, the more salt
> replacement is required. So it's worthwhile to regulate accordingly.

Ew! Salty water?

Try this: http://www.succeedscaps.com/main_scaps.html

Tam*ran/walked in warm weather for over 28hrs straight without a cramp*

Zebee Johnstone wrote:
> In aus.bicycle on 22 Nov 2006 21:53:43 -0800
> Donga <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Carefully plan your rides, so that you end up in a swimming pool.
> >:)
> >

> What, you saying she should become a triathlete?
>
> Zebee

Then she would be starting in the water...

Tam

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> Artoi wrote:
>
> > On longer rides, it makes sense to have one bottle with those salty
> > water and the other just plain water. The longer the ride, the more salt
> > replacement is required. So it's worthwhile to regulate accordingly.

> Ew! Salty water?
>
> Try this: http://www.succeedscaps.com/main_scaps.html

Fancy salt tablets. Tops :)

Fancy an oxyshot to go?

Bleve wrote:
> Tamyka Bell wrote:
> > Artoi wrote:
> >
> > > On longer rides, it makes sense to have one bottle with those salty
> > > water and the other just plain water. The longer the ride, the more salt
> > > replacement is required. So it's worthwhile to regulate accordingly.

> > Ew! Salty water?
> >
> > Try this: http://www.succeedscaps.com/main_scaps.html

> Fancy salt tablets. Tops :)
>
> Fancy an oxyshot to go?

Did you actually read the page Carl? They're not salt tablets salt
capsules. They aren't fancy, you're thinking of Lava Salts etc. These
ones don't have magnesium added because everyone knows you can load on
mag in the weeks leading up. They have some sodium potassium salts and
you'll notice the salts were selected for their buffer properties.

Capsules are good because go down easy and don't stick to your tongue
like tablets do, and they don't taste revolting like salty water does
(therefore I'll actually use them), and they have a lot of salt that
you just can't meet in electrolyte fluids.

To top it off they're about 10c per capsule and a container has lasted
me well over a year. I've never had a cramp in a race where I've used
them. Sure, salty water will do the trick... if you can first swallow
it, and then manage to keep it down...

Don't knock it 'til you try it, Carl. I have handed a few out to
roadies and MTBers alike, and they were amazed. (I'm tempted to tell
them it's EPO and sell it at a huge profit...)