Keeping ears warm?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by M Wells, Jun 15, 2003.

  1. M Wells

    M Wells Guest

    Hi All,

    My ears tend to get very sore when out riding at night during winter and I'm curious what other
    people do to stop their ears from freezing off ?

    I'm currently wearing a beanie (sans pompom) underneath my helmet, but sadly this makes me look even
    more like a complete penis-head than I do with just the helmet, which is penis-head enough for me,
    thank you very much.

    I've thought about modifying a beanie by cutting the top off to leave sort of an ear muffler, but
    was wondering if anyone had any better suggestions? As an alternative, a really, really thin beanie
    (ie not bulky) might be an alternative, but I haven't been able to find one that fits that bill.

    Any suggestions appreciated!

    Much warmth,

    Murray http://www.planetthoughtful.org Building a thoughtful planet, one snide comment at a time...

    Tags:

  2. "M Wells" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > My ears tend to get very sore when out riding at night during winter and I'm curious what other
    > people do to stop their ears from freezing off ?

    Ride harder, climb more hills. Side effect is that you get fitter pretty quickly.

    > I'm currently wearing a beanie (sans pompom) underneath my helmet, but sadly this makes me look
    > even more like a complete penis-head than I do with just the helmet, which is penis-head enough
    > for me, thank you very much.

    For the real penis-head look you could try one of these:
    http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=10842163&storeId=80
    00&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1 (have to unwrap the URL)

    > I've thought about modifying a beanie by cutting the top off to leave sort of an ear muffler,
    > but was wondering if anyone had any better suggestions? As an alternative, a really, really thin
    > beanie (ie not bulky) might be an alternative, but I haven't been able to find one that fits
    > that bill.

    With my aerodynamic skull top I find that I need to keep some top cover in the cold as well. Usually
    only a problem on really frosty rides (<5C). I've used a thin thermal polypropylene balaclava with
    the lower section folded up to give a double layer around the ears and back of neck. This also keeps
    a thin cover on the top of the head. Anything thicker than polypro thermal would be too bulky under
    the helmet and too hot after riding far enough to warm up.

    Cheers Peter

  3. M Wells <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >My ears tend to get very sore when out riding at night during winter and I'm curious what other
    >people do to stop their ears from freezing off ?
    >
    >I'm currently wearing a beanie (sans pompom) underneath my helmet, but sadly this makes me look
    >even more like a complete penis-head than I do with just the helmet, which is penis-head enough for
    >me, thank you very much.

    Pop into a ski shop and get yourself a skiing headband.

  4. Iguana Bwana

    Iguana Bwana Guest

  5. Mpd

    Mpd Guest

    "M Wells" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > My ears tend to get very sore when out riding at night during winter and I'm curious what other
    > people do to stop their ears from freezing off ?
    >
    > I'm currently wearing a beanie (sans pompom) underneath my helmet, but sadly this makes me look
    > even more like a complete penis-head than I do with just the helmet, which is penis-head enough
    > for me, thank you very much.
    >
    > I've thought about modifying a beanie by cutting the top off to leave sort of an ear muffler,
    > but was wondering if anyone had any better suggestions? As an alternative, a really, really thin
    > beanie (ie not bulky) might be an alternative, but I haven't been able to find one that fits
    > that bill.
    >
    > Any suggestions appreciated!
    >
    > Much warmth,
    >
    > Murray http://www.planetthoughtful.org Building a thoughtful planet, one snide comment at
    > a time...

    You can buy ear mufflers, essentially a one size fits all polarfleece band that keeps the forehead
    and ears warm, without excessive heat and bulk under the helmet. Various suppliers, however I picked
    some up at Kathmandu for $10-15.

    Have been told by other riders that you can buy from some cycle stores.

    cheers M

  6. Tezza

    Tezza New Member

    Joined:
    May 26, 2003
    Hi,
    You might try a silk balaclave available through outdoor/camping shops. I use one because it offers very little bulk and I double the lower part back up over may ears. Silk is a briliant fabric for stopping wind and of course it is feather light and scrunches up to nothing in your pocket. Being a balaclava you can cover your face and neck in really nasty conditions.
    :D

  7. Glenn Ryan

    Glenn Ryan Guest

    "M Wells" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > My ears tend to get very sore when out riding at night during winter and I'm curious what other
    > people do to stop their ears from freezing off ?
    >
    > I'm currently wearing a beanie (sans pompom) underneath my helmet, but sadly this makes me look
    > even more like a complete penis-head than I do with just the helmet, which is penis-head enough
    > for me, thank you very much.
    >
    > I've thought about modifying a beanie by cutting the top off to leave sort of an ear muffler,
    > but was wondering if anyone had any better suggestions? As an alternative, a really, really thin
    > beanie (ie not bulky) might be an alternative, but I haven't been able to find one that fits
    > that bill.
    >
    > Any suggestions appreciated!
    >
    > Much warmth,
    >
    > Murray http://www.planetthoughtful.org Building a thoughtful planet, one snide comment at
    > a time...

    I'm currently using the Netti Earwarmer for temperatures above 8 degrees and the Netti Headwarmer
    for temperatures under that. They're made from a fleece backed lycra so they stretch to accommodate
    you noggin and they're also quite thin so there are no issues with your helmet fitting once they're
    on your head. These warmers will still make you look like a penis-head (especially the Headwarmer)
    but at least you'll be a warm penis-head, if you're riding at night who really takes notice of what
    you're wearing underneath your helmet?

    The best price I've found for these items is at Cecil Walker Cycles Online (the listed price
    includes delivery) http://www.cecilwalker.com.au/category228_1.htm

    Good luck

  8. K&C Russell

    K&C Russell Guest

    "M Wells" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > My ears tend to get very sore when out riding at night during winter and I'm curious what other
    > people do to stop their ears from freezing off ?
    >
    > I'm currently wearing a beanie (sans pompom) underneath my helmet, but sadly this makes me look
    > even more like a complete penis-head than I do with just the helmet, which is penis-head enough
    > for me, thank you very much.
    >
    > I've thought about modifying a beanie by cutting the top off to leave sort of an ear muffler,
    > but was wondering if anyone had any better suggestions? As an alternative, a really, really thin
    > beanie (ie not bulky) might be an alternative, but I haven't been able to find one that fits
    > that bill.
    >
    > Any suggestions appreciated!
    >
    > Much warmth,
    >
    > Murray http://www.planetthoughtful.org Building a thoughtful planet, one snide comment at
    > a time...

    Murray,

    I ride thru winter in Melb and I can recommend the Netti ear warmer ~ $13. made of superoubaix,
    light and effective. I also use the Netti headwarmer but I find it can leave lines on your forehead
    from the seams. It could be improved if they flat stitched the seams. Both are warm and cheap, and
    work much better than the usual non cycling gear.

    Kevin

  9. Cody

    Cody Guest

    "M Wells" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > My ears tend to get very sore when out riding at night during winter and I'm curious what other
    > people do to stop their ears from freezing off ?
    I would have thought a towelling headband (a la Pat Cash?) should do the trick (can't speak for
    experience as it doesn't get cold enough here)

  10. Rob Woozle

    Rob Woozle Guest

    Get thee to a ski shop. THere are these headbands designed to go over your ears and around
    your head.

    If it is really cold they also have these ski mask type arrangements that velcro around the back of
    your head - no "hat" bit though which means your helmet still fits properly. You might get some
    funny looks as you resemble a reject from the movie "The Texas Tour De France Massacre" but your
    ears and face will be toasty warm.

    Rob in cold Canberra!

  11. gremlinuk

    gremlinuk New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2003
    I know of the perfect product, after this suggestion, you all are going to stop suggesting Balaclavas and other strange items

    Range
    [​IMG]

    The look- you can put them under hats if you like wearing a hat.
    The look
    [​IMG]
    I wear them because im a runner, they stay on well after popping into place, i run up the hills in the Highlands of Scotland where i live.

    I can send them anywhere in the world, they are not too cheap- £10 UK Pound incl of p&p.

    The website, and to find out more: www.warmears.cjb.net

    I like them, and they work for cyclists, runners and walkers.

    Cheers
    Aaron Sneddon