Keeping feet dry

Tim Downie

Guest
Last night I was out riding my road bike in the rain. I'd bought myself
some natty neoprene over-booties (or whatever you call them).

I'll grant you they probably kept my feet a tad warmer but my shoes still
filled up with water. Does *anything* keep the water out if you're riding
in the wet sans mudguards?

Tim

Tim Downie wrote:
> I'll grant you they probably kept my feet a tad warmer but my shoes still
> filled up with water. Does *anything* keep the water out if you're riding
> in the wet sans mudguards?

I use them Shimano winter boots with the neoprene cuff, with the socks
*not* sticking out. After being out in a thunderstorm earlier this
week, my feet and socks were still dry (the only part of me that was).
But with summer rain, I think I'd prefer sandals, as they'd be more
comfortable in the warm and your feet'd dry out.
Anyone know the difference between the Shimano SD60's and SD65's?
Chainreaction have the older SD60s for 35 quid at the moment...

sothach wrote:
> Tim Downie wrote:
>> I'll grant you they probably kept my feet a tad warmer but my shoes still
>> filled up with water. Does *anything* keep the water out if you're riding
>> in the wet sans mudguards?

> I use them Shimano winter boots with the neoprene cuff, with the socks
> *not* sticking out. After being out in a thunderstorm earlier this
> week, my feet and socks were still dry (the only part of me that was).
> But with summer rain, I think I'd prefer sandals, as they'd be more
> comfortable in the warm and your feet'd dry out.
> Anyone know the difference between the Shimano SD60's and SD65's?
> Chainreaction have the older SD60s for 35 quid at the moment...

The only difference I can see is that the ads say they are more
adjustable so one pair covers a bigger range of sizes as opposed to the
SD60's.

Cheaper to make i suppose.

Sam Salt

On Thu, 18 May 2006 08:25:52 +0100, Tim Downie wrote:

> Last night I was out riding my road bike in the rain. I'd bought myself
> some natty neoprene over-booties (or whatever you call them).
>
> I'll grant you they probably kept my feet a tad warmer but my shoes still
> filled up with water. Does *anything* keep the water out if you're riding
> in the wet sans mudguards?
>
> Tim

Sealskinz socks.

http://www.sealskinz.com/index.html
--
Michael MacClancy

in message <[email protected]>, Michael MacClancy
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Thu, 18 May 2006 08:25:52 +0100, Tim Downie wrote:
>
>> Last night I was out riding my road bike in the rain. I'd bought
>> myself some natty neoprene over-booties (or whatever you call them).
>>
>> I'll grant you they probably kept my feet a tad warmer but my shoes
>> still
>> filled up with water. Does *anything* keep the water out if you're
>> riding in the wet sans mudguards?

> Sealskinz socks.
> http://www.sealskinz.com/index.html

No they don't, I'm afraid. I greatly like my SealSkinz, but water
trickling down your leg still ends up inside. You need waterproof
trousers which come down below the tops of your socks/overshoes

.::;===r==\
/ /___||___\____
//==\- ||- | /__\( MS Windows IS an operating environment.
//____\__||___|_// \|: C++ IS an object oriented programming language.
\__/ ~~~~~~~~~ \__/ Citroen 2cv6 IS a four door family saloon.

Tim Downie wrote:
> Last night I was out riding my road bike in the rain. I'd bought
> myself some natty neoprene over-booties (or whatever you call them).
>
> I'll grant you they probably kept my feet a tad warmer but my shoes
> still filled up with water. Does *anything* keep the water out if
> you're riding in the wet sans mudguards?

http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?item1221.htm

~PB

Tim Downie wrote:
> Last night I was out riding my road bike in the rain. I'd
> bought myself some natty neoprene over-booties (or whatever
> you call them).
> I'll grant you they probably kept my feet a tad warmer but my
> shoes still filled up with water. Does *anything* keep the
> water out if you're riding in the wet sans mudguards?
>
> Tim

I recently discovered that my Yeti Gaiters, similar to these:
http://www.buachaille.com/p1921-0-6/Gaiters/Berghaus-Yeti-Wilderness.html
fitted over my cycle shoes. Although I would say I'd only use them in
the depths of winter out on the hills with the MTB.
--
Cheers
the.Mark

Tim Downie wrote:
> Last night I was out riding my road bike in the rain. I'd bought
> myself some natty neoprene over-booties (or whatever you call them).
>
> I'll grant you they probably kept my feet a tad warmer but my shoes
> still filled up with water. Does *anything* keep the water out if
> you're riding in the wet sans mudguards?
>
> Tim

http://tinyurl.com/m39s8

with the bottoms over the top of natty neoprene over-booties

They are very winter weight, mine probably wont see use till october or
november.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Michael
> MacClancy ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 18 May 2006 08:25:52 +0100, Tim Downie wrote:
>>
>>> Last night I was out riding my road bike in the rain. I'd bought
>>> myself some natty neoprene over-booties (or whatever you call them).
>>>
>>> I'll grant you they probably kept my feet a tad warmer but my shoes
>>> still
>>> filled up with water. Does *anything* keep the water out if you're
>>> riding in the wet sans mudguards?

>> Sealskinz socks.
>> http://www.sealskinz.com/index.html

> No they don't, I'm afraid. I greatly like my SealSkinz, but water
> trickling down your leg still ends up inside. You need waterproof
> trousers which come down below the tops of your socks/overshoes

Never experienced that and I use sealskinz - although most of the time it's
in winter so I have something covering my legs which acts as a wick.