General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Keeping gains w/o working out?

Started by vmc · · Last activity · 4 posts · 284 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 March 2005
Last activity
2 March 2005
Original author
vmc
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
284
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. How difficult is it to maintain lean mass while not working out
    consistently? I've made some very pleasing gains in the 8 months since
    I've started lifting seriously, but I'm about to take an extended break
    due to travel. I'll be moving around quite frequently, and most of the
    places I'll be won't have a gym within hundreds of miles, so it's
    unlikely I'll even be able to touch a weight for the next 4-5 months. I
    might be able to fit in some improvised workouts now and then, but the
    days of hitting the gym 5 days a week are over. Am I bound to lose most
    of my gains, even if I continue to eat well?

    More generally, once one has attained a certain level of mass, how easy
    is it to lose it? The sense I get around here is that as soon as you
    slack off on the weights and revert to more normal (less planned)
    eating habits, the mass goes pretty quickly. But there are plenty of
    big guys (not necessarily cut) who don't work out but eat big and stay
    muscular. Is it possible to permanently shift up your body's set point
    and maintain a heavier weight without the extra effort? Of course I'm
    talking about lean mass here -- obviously it's not very tough to get
    fat.

  2. vmc wrote:
    :: How difficult is it to maintain lean mass while not working out
    :: consistently? I've made some very pleasing gains in the 8 months
    :: since I've started lifting seriously, but I'm about to take an
    :: extended break due to travel. I'll be moving around quite
    :: frequently, and most of the places I'll be won't have a gym within
    :: hundreds of miles, so it's unlikely I'll even be able to touch a
    :: weight for the next 4-5 months. I might be able to fit in some
    :: improvised workouts now and then, but the days of hitting the gym 5
    :: days a week are over. Am I bound to lose most of my gains, even if I
    :: continue to eat well?

    Do some bodyweight movements.

    ::
    :: More generally, once one has attained a certain level of mass, how
    :: easy is it to lose it? The sense I get around here is that as soon
    :: as you slack off on the weights and revert to more normal (less
    :: planned) eating habits, the mass goes pretty quickly. But there are
    :: plenty of big guys (not necessarily cut) who don't work out but eat
    :: big and stay muscular. Is it possible to permanently shift up your
    :: body's set point and maintain a heavier weight without the extra
    :: effort? Of course I'm talking about lean mass here -- obviously it's
    :: not very tough to get fat.

  3. "vmc" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    How difficult is it to maintain lean mass while not working out
    consistently? I've made some very pleasing gains in the 8 months since
    I've started lifting seriously, but I'm about to take an extended
    break
    due to travel. I'll be moving around quite frequently, and most of the
    places I'll be won't have a gym within hundreds of miles, so it's
    unlikely I'll even be able to touch a weight for the next 4-5 months.
    I
    might be able to fit in some improvised workouts now and then, but the
    days of hitting the gym 5 days a week are over. Am I bound to lose
    most
    of my gains, even if I continue to eat well?

    More generally, once one has attained a certain level of mass, how
    easy
    is it to lose it? The sense I get around here is that as soon as you
    slack off on the weights and revert to more normal (less planned)
    eating habits, the mass goes pretty quickly. But there are plenty of
    big guys (not necessarily cut) who don't work out but eat big and stay
    muscular. Is it possible to permanently shift up your body's set point
    and maintain a heavier weight without the extra effort? Of course I'm
    talking about lean mass here -- obviously it's not very tough to get
    fat.

    There have been several threads lately with suggestions for bodyweight
    exercise - Google them and you should be all set. You might need to
    learn some new skills before you can perform them well enough to be
    challenging enough to keep some mass, or at least that might make it go
    better for you.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  4. Several studies have shown that in as little as 2 weeks strength
    declines. However the longterm effects from weightlifting continue up
    to 1 year. So if you can get some weightlifitng in you may be able to
    hold onto what you have...but some loss will happen. The good news is
    that once you restart your regimen you gain it back quickly. Motor
    units, nervous system, brain, etc will rememeber quickly.

    Tony Kehl
    www.simplefitness.biz

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.