Keeping sweat out of your eyes

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Dave Stallard, Jul 7, 2004.

  1. I have a big problem with this on longer, hotter rides. Sweat gets runs
    into my eyes or onto my sunglasses. I remember seeing a product
    advertised that was a loop you wore around your forehead and down your
    back; the idea was that sweat would run off down your back that way.
    Like a rain gutter, in essence.

    Does anybody know what this was called, and where you can get it? Or
    have alternate techniques for coping with this annoying problem?

    Dave

    Tags:

  2. Dave Stallard wrote:

    > I have a big problem with this on longer, hotter rides. Sweat gets runs
    > into my eyes or onto my sunglasses. I remember seeing a product
    > advertised that was a loop you wore around your forehead and down your
    > back; the idea was that sweat would run off down your back that way.
    > Like a rain gutter, in essence.
    >
    > Does anybody know what this was called, and where you can get it? Or
    > have alternate techniques for coping with this annoying problem?

    What about an old school sweatband, as worn by overweight squash players
    everywhere?

  3. On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 15:52:31 -0400, Dave Stallard <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >I have a big problem with this on longer, hotter rides. Sweat gets runs
    >into my eyes or onto my sunglasses.

    A cotton cycling cap works for me.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  4. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Dave Stallard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have a big problem with this on longer, hotter rides. Sweat gets runs
    > into my eyes or onto my sunglasses. I remember seeing a product
    > advertised that was a loop you wore around your forehead and down your
    > back; the idea was that sweat would run off down your back that way.
    > Like a rain gutter, in essence.
    >
    > Does anybody know what this was called, and where you can get it? Or
    > have alternate techniques for coping with this annoying problem?

    I find it helps a lot to have non-absorbent pads in your helmet (if you wear
    one), some pads soak up sweat and dump it into your eyes when you move your
    head or press your helmet. I find that the Pearl Izumi thin headbands keep up
    with my sweat and fit under my helmet.

  5. Ken

    Ken Guest

    Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > What about an old school sweatband, as worn by overweight squash players
    > everywhere?

    Sweatbands work for me. Get a thin one that fits under your helmet.

  6. Badger_South

    Badger_South Guest

  7. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >I have a big problem with this on longer, hotter rides. Sweat gets runs
    >into my eyes or onto my sunglasses. I remember seeing a product
    >advertised that was a loop you wore around your forehead and down your
    >back; the idea was that sweat would run off down your back that way.
    >Like a rain gutter, in essence.
    >
    >Does anybody know what this was called, and where you can get it? Or
    >have alternate techniques for coping with this annoying problem?

    A head band also works well.
    ----------------
    Alex

  8. Steve-o

    Steve-o Guest

    wrote:

    >Sweat gets runs into my eyes

    Did anyone else's eyes start watering when reading this message
    header?

  9. HardwareLust

    HardwareLust Guest

    Dave Stallard wrote:
    > I have a big problem with this on longer, hotter rides. Sweat gets
    > runs into my eyes or onto my sunglasses. I remember seeing a product
    > advertised that was a loop you wore around your forehead and down your
    > back; the idea was that sweat would run off down your back that way.
    > Like a rain gutter, in essence.
    >
    > Does anybody know what this was called, and where you can get it? Or
    > have alternate techniques for coping with this annoying problem?

    I believe that thing you are talking about is the Halo sweatband. I'm
    pretty sure they have it at Excel and some other online retailers.

  10. JH

    JH Guest

    "Dave Stallard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have a big problem with this on longer, hotter rides. Sweat

    gets runs
    > into my eyes or onto my sunglasses. I remember seeing a product
    > advertised that was a loop you wore around your forehead and down

    your
    > back; the idea was that sweat would run off down your back that

    way.
    > Like a rain gutter, in essence.
    >
    > Does anybody know what this was called, and where you can get it?

    Or
    > have alternate techniques for coping with this annoying problem?

    I have seen some sunglasses with a clip on foam strip that i guess
    would run just above eyebrows (and would appear quite
    inconspicuous), i have never tried one, but always intended to check
    them out when i am up for a new pair of sunnies.

    Can anyone offer an opinion on those.

  11. "JH" <[email protected]> writes:
    > I have seen some sunglasses with a clip on foam strip that i guess
    > would run just above eyebrows (and would appear quite
    > inconspicuous), i have never tried one, but always intended to check
    > them out when i am up for a new pair of sunnies.
    >
    > Can anyone offer an opinion on those.

    I used to have a pair of Bolé sunglasses with one of those. Worked
    quite well for me. After a couple of years the foam rotted away --
    presumably you can buy replacement foam, but the glasses were out of
    style by then anyways...

    Chris
    --
    Chris Colohan Email: [email protected] PGP: finger [email protected]
    Web: www.colohan.com Phone: (412)268-4751

  12. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

    You can always wear a sweatband, or a "do-rag". I wear a Coolmax "do-rag"
    under my helmet to prevent my sparsely covered pate from burning in stripes.
    Also, some cycling specific sunglasses have sweat absorbing pads. My Zeal
    Blasts do.

  13. cheg

    cheg Guest

    "JH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Dave Stallard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]

    > I have seen some sunglasses with a clip on foam strip that i guess
    > would run just above eyebrows (and would appear quite
    > inconspicuous), i have never tried one, but always intended to check
    > them out when i am up for a new pair of sunnies.
    >
    > Can anyone offer an opinion on those.

    I have a pair of Adidas Evileye Pros that have that feature. I find the foam
    strip useful in the rain to keep the drops from running down the inside of the
    lenses, but in hot weather I don't use it. It covers the top vent holes and
    aggravates the problem of having the lenses steam up when you stop at a traffic
    light. I think you're better off without it in the heat, but I don't have much a
    problem with sweat getting in my eyes.
    In the past couple of weeks I have used the glasses in Florida and Washington
    State, from 50 degrees to over 90 degrees, and I'm happy with them overall.

  14. ie

    ie Guest

    I used to ride with a guy who perspired like a firehose and sweatbands were
    never enough--they filled up shortly after the ride started and he'd have to
    stop and wring them out. Being his stoker was often a damp experience...

    Out of frustration he fashioned a "gutter" out of some flexible
    plastic--can't remember what it was made of but he was an electrician so it
    could have some kind of insulation plastic tubing or something--that he
    glued to the inside of the browpiece of his oakly pilots (where you'd
    normally put the foam pad). It fit snugly enough against his forehead that
    the perspiration ran into it, then out the sides off the earpieces. Extreme
    but effective for him...you might try something like that.

    Good luck!
    ie

    "Dave Stallard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I have a big problem with this on longer, hotter rides. Sweat gets runs
    > into my eyes or onto my sunglasses. I remember seeing a product
    > advertised that was a loop you wore around your forehead and down your
    > back; the idea was that sweat would run off down your back that way.
    > Like a rain gutter, in essence.
    >
    > Does anybody know what this was called, and where you can get it? Or
    > have alternate techniques for coping with this annoying problem?
    >
    > Dave

  15. mmcgr

    mmcgr Guest

    Dave Stallard wrote:

    > I have a big problem with this on longer, hotter rides. Sweat gets runs
    > into my eyes or onto my sunglasses. I remember seeing a product
    > advertised that was a loop you wore around your forehead and down your
    > back; the idea was that sweat would run off down your back that way.
    > Like a rain gutter, in essence.
    >
    > Does anybody know what this was called, and where you can get it? Or
    > have alternate techniques for coping with this annoying problem?
    >
    > Dave

    A folded up bandana tied around my head does it for me. Fits OK with my
    helmet

    Mike

  16. if all else fails, just squirt water right at the bridge of your nose.
    it' feels weird but seems o get all salt away from my eyes.

  17. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Simplest thing : a maxipad as helmet forehead pad. They spend zillions
    on research to get these things to hold water and it works.

    Don't wear a helmet? Stick one inside a headband.

    They will fill eventually but it takes a long time, and if you don't
    sweat unusually you can use the same one for a couple weeks, since
    they dry out also.

    If you need another, they come in a discreet bag.
    --
    Ron Hardin
    [email protected]

  18. Joe Faust

    Joe Faust Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 22:45:34 GMT, "HardwareLust" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Dave Stallard wrote:

    >I believe that thing you are talking about is the Halo sweatband. I'm
    >pretty sure they have it at Excel and some other online retailers.

    I purchased a couple of Halo headbands a few weeks ago. They work! No
    more sweat dripping into my eyes. There are two styles; an elastic
    loop that fits around the head, and a tie back that you secure. The
    elastic loop is quite tight, so if you have a larger head than my
    medium one, you might like the tie back style.

    http://www.haloheadband.com/products.html

  19. Dave Stallard wrote:

    > I have a big problem with this on longer, hotter rides. Sweat gets runs
    > into my eyes or onto my sunglasses. I remember seeing a product
    > advertised that was a loop you wore around your forehead and down your
    > back; the idea was that sweat would run off down your back that way.
    > Like a rain gutter, in essence.
    >
    > Does anybody know what this was called, and where you can get it? Or
    > have alternate techniques for coping with this annoying problem?

    I think the product you're referring to was advertised in the back-page
    classifieds of magazines like Bicycling and Runner's World. It wasn't
    absorbent or spongy - it was a soft rubbery plastic. As you say, like a
    rain gutter.

    I bought one. It doesn't work for me. The main problem on a bike is
    that you lean forward, so your head is tilted forward a bit. The
    "gutter" would immediately fill up then dump the sweat right down the
    center, into my eyes.

    I immediately gave up on it for the bike, but I tried it a while for
    mowing my lawn. It's a little better there, but still not very
    effective. Maybe it works for jogging - I wouldn't know.

    A cotton cycling cap works better for me. If you like helmets, you can
    wear it under the styrofoam.

    --
    --------------------+
    replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

  20. amh

    amh Guest

    Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have a big problem with this on longer, hotter rides. Sweat gets runs
    > into my eyes or onto my sunglasses. I remember seeing a product
    > advertised that was a loop you wore around your forehead and down your
    > back; the idea was that sweat would run off down your back that way.
    > Like a rain gutter, in essence.
    >
    > Does anybody know what this was called, and where you can get it? Or
    > have alternate techniques for coping with this annoying problem?
    >
    > Dave

    I knew a guy who ran with something like that. He called it a sweat
    gutter and he swore by it. If you can't find it it seemed like an easy
    thing to make. You just have to make sure the top opening doesn't
    close up. His also had a series of square holes where the plastic went
    up against his forehead. I guess it kept sweat from running down under
    the thing. I remember he did have an unusual pattern on his forehead
    after he took it off.

    Andy