Keeping sweat out of your eyes

Dave Stallard

Guest
I have a big problem with this on longer, hotter rides.
Sweat gets runs into my eyes or onto my sunglasses. I
remember seeing a product advertised that was a loop you
wore around your forehead and down your back; the idea was
that sweat would run off down your back that way. Like a
rain gutter, in essence.

Does anybody know what this was called, and where you can
get it? Or have alternate techniques for coping with this
annoying problem?

Dave

Dave Stallard wrote:

> I have a big problem with this on longer, hotter rides.
> Sweat gets runs into my eyes or onto my sunglasses. I
> remember seeing a product advertised that was a loop you
> wore around your forehead and down your back; the idea was
> that sweat would run off down your back that way. Like a
> rain gutter, in essence.
>
> Does anybody know what this was called, and where you can
> get it? Or have alternate techniques for coping with this
> annoying problem?

What about an old school sweatband, as worn by overweight
squash players everywhere?

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 15:52:31 -0400, Dave Stallard <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>I have a big problem with this on longer, hotter rides.
>Sweat gets runs into my eyes or onto my sunglasses.

A cotton cycling cap works for me.

Guy
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

"Dave Stallard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a big problem with this on longer, hotter rides.
> Sweat gets runs into my eyes or onto my sunglasses. I
> remember seeing a product advertised that was a loop you
> wore around your forehead and down your back; the idea was
> that sweat would run off down your back that way. Like a
> rain gutter, in essence.
>
> Does anybody know what this was called, and where you can
> get it? Or have alternate techniques for coping with this
> annoying problem?

I find it helps a lot to have non-absorbent pads in your
helmet (if you wear one), some pads soak up sweat and dump
it into your eyes when you move your head or press your
helmet. I find that the Pearl Izumi thin headbands keep up
with my sweat and fit under my helmet.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>I have a big problem with this on longer, hotter rides.
>Sweat gets runs into my eyes or onto my sunglasses. I
>remember seeing a product advertised that was a loop you
>wore around your forehead and down your back; the idea was
>that sweat would run off down your back that way. Like a
>rain gutter, in essence.
>
>Does anybody know what this was called, and where you can
>get it? Or have alternate techniques for coping with this
>annoying problem?

A head band also works well.
----------------
Alex

Dave Stallard wrote:
> I have a big problem with this on longer, hotter rides.
> Sweat gets runs into my eyes or onto my sunglasses. I
> remember seeing a product advertised that was a loop you
> wore around your forehead and down your back; the idea was
> that sweat would run off down your back that way. Like a
> rain gutter, in essence.
>
> Does anybody know what this was called, and where you can
> get it? Or have alternate techniques for coping with this
> annoying problem?

I believe that thing you are talking about is the Halo
sweatband. I'm pretty sure they have it at Excel and some
other online retailers.

"Dave Stallard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a big problem with this on longer, hotter
> rides. Sweat
gets runs
> into my eyes or onto my sunglasses. I remember seeing a
> product advertised that was a loop you wore around your
> forehead and down
your
> back; the idea was that sweat would run off down your
> back that
way.
> Like a rain gutter, in essence.
>
> Does anybody know what this was called, and where you
> can get it?
Or
> have alternate techniques for coping with this annoying
> problem?

I have seen some sunglasses with a clip on foam strip that i
guess would run just above eyebrows (and would appear quite
inconspicuous), i have never tried one, but always intended
to check them out when i am up for a new pair of sunnies.

Can anyone offer an opinion on those.

"JH" <[email protected]> writes:
> I have seen some sunglasses with a clip on foam strip that
> i guess would run just above eyebrows (and would appear
> quite inconspicuous), i have never tried one, but always
> intended to check them out when i am up for a new pair of
> sunnies.
>
> Can anyone offer an opinion on those.

I used to have a pair of Bolé sunglasses with one of those.
Worked quite well for me. After a couple of years the foam
rotted away -- presumably you can buy replacement foam, but
the glasses were out of style by then anyways...

Chris
--
Chris Colohan Email: [email protected] PGP: finger
[email protected] Web: www.colohan.com Phone: (412)268-4751

You can always wear a sweatband, or a "do-rag". I wear a
Coolmax "do-rag" under my helmet to prevent my sparsely
covered pate from burning in stripes. Also, some cycling
specific sunglasses have sweat absorbing pads. My Zeal
Blasts do.

"JH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Dave Stallard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2l32k0F7rbeoU1@uni-
> berlin.de...

> I have seen some sunglasses with a clip on foam strip that
> i guess would run just above eyebrows (and would appear
> quite inconspicuous), i have never tried one, but always
> intended to check them out when i am up for a new pair of
> sunnies.
>
> Can anyone offer an opinion on those.

I have a pair of Adidas Evileye Pros that have that feature.
I find the foam strip useful in the rain to keep the drops
from running down the inside of the lenses, but in hot
weather I don't use it. It covers the top vent holes and
aggravates the problem of having the lenses steam up when
you stop at a traffic light. I think you're better off
without it in the heat, but I don't have much a problem with
sweat getting in my eyes. In the past couple of weeks I have
used the glasses in Florida and Washington State, from 50
degrees to over 90 degrees, and I'm happy with them overall.

I used to ride with a guy who perspired like a firehose and
sweatbands were never enough--they filled up shortly after
the ride started and he'd have to stop and wring them out.
Being his stoker was often a damp experience...

Out of frustration he fashioned a "gutter" out of some
flexible plastic--can't remember what it was made of but he
was an electrician so it could have some kind of insulation
plastic tubing or something--that he glued to the inside of
the browpiece of his oakly pilots (where you'd normally put
the foam pad). It fit snugly enough against his forehead
that the perspiration ran into it, then out the sides off
the earpieces. Extreme but effective for him...you might try
something like that.

Good luck! ie

"Dave Stallard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2l32k0F7rbeoU1@uni-
berlin.de...
> I have a big problem with this on longer, hotter rides.
> Sweat gets runs into my eyes or onto my sunglasses. I
> remember seeing a product advertised that was a loop you
> wore around your forehead and down your back; the idea was
> that sweat would run off down your back that way. Like a
> rain gutter, in essence.
>
> Does anybody know what this was called, and where you can
> get it? Or have alternate techniques for coping with this
> annoying problem?
>
> Dave

if all else fails, just squirt water right at the bridge of
your nose. it' feels weird but seems o get all salt away
from my eyes.

Simplest thing : a maxipad as helmet forehead pad. They
spend zillions on research to get these things to hold water
and it works.

Don't wear a helmet? Stick one inside a headband.

They will fill eventually but it takes a long time, and if
you don't sweat unusually you can use the same one for a
couple weeks, since they dry out also.

If you need another, they come in a discreet bag.
--
Ron Hardin [email protected]

Dave Stallard wrote:

> I have a big problem with this on longer, hotter rides.
> Sweat gets runs into my eyes or onto my sunglasses. I
> remember seeing a product advertised that was a loop you
> wore around your forehead and down your back; the idea was
> that sweat would run off down your back that way. Like a
> rain gutter, in essence.
>
> Does anybody know what this was called, and where you can
> get it? Or have alternate techniques for coping with this
> annoying problem?

I think the product you're referring to was advertised in
the back-page classifieds of magazines like Bicycling and
Runner's World. It wasn't absorbent or spongy - it was a
soft rubbery plastic. As you say, like a rain gutter.

I bought one. It doesn't work for me. The main problem on a
bike is that you lean forward, so your head is tilted
forward a bit. The "gutter" would immediately fill up then
dump the sweat right down the center, into my eyes.

I immediately gave up on it for the bike, but I tried it a
while for mowing my lawn. It's a little better there, but
still not very effective. Maybe it works for jogging - I
wouldn't know.

A cotton cycling cap works better for me. If you like
helmets, you can wear it under the styrofoam.

--
--------------------+ Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove
rodent and vegetable dot com, replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Dave Stallard <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a big problem with this on longer, hotter rides.
> Sweat gets runs into my eyes or onto my sunglasses. I
> remember seeing a product advertised that was a loop you
> wore around your forehead and down your back; the idea was
> that sweat would run off down your back that way. Like a
> rain gutter, in essence.
>
> Does anybody know what this was called, and where you can
> get it? Or have alternate techniques for coping with this
> annoying problem?
>
> Dave

I knew a guy who ran with something like that. He called it
a sweat gutter and he swore by it. If you can't find it it
seemed like an easy thing to make. You just have to make
sure the top opening doesn't close up. His also had a series
of square holes where the plastic went up against his
forehead. I guess it kept sweat from running down under the
thing. I remember he did have an unusual pattern on his
forehead after he took it off.

Andy

> I remember seeing a product advertised that was a loop you
> wore around your forehead and down your back; the idea was
> that sweat would run off down your back that way. Like a
> rain gutter, in essence. Does anybody know what this was
> called, and where you can get it?

I have one, it was made by RaceAid for runners, and it works
well under a helmet. I don't remember where I got it, sorry.

--
Robots don't kill people -- people kill people.
http://www.irobotmovie.com/

Is this it? http://www.haloheadband.com/sitemap.html

Let us know how it works please. I've been thinking of
trying obe for years.

Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

"LioNiNoiL_a t_N e t s c a p E_D 0 T_N e T"
> > I remember seeing a product advertised that was a loop
> > you wore around your forehead and down your back; the
> > idea was that sweat would run off down your back that
> > way. Like a rain gutter, in essence. Does anybody know
> > what this was called, and where you can get it?
>
> I have one, it was made by RaceAid for runners, and it
> works well under a helmet. I don't remember where I got
> it, sorry.
>
> --
> Robots don't kill people -- people kill people.
> http://www.irobotmovie.com/

>>> I remember seeing a product advertised that was a loop
>>> you wore around your forehead and down your back; the
>>> idea was that sweat would run off down your back that
>>> way. Like a rain gutter, in essence. Does anybody know
>>> what this was called, and where you can get it?
>>
>> I have one, it was made by RaceAid for runners, and it
>> works well under a helmet. I don't remember where I got
>> it, sorry.
>
> Is this it? http://www.haloheadband.com/sitemap.html

Nope, completely different. Mine is a white, rubbery half-
loop about 15mm wide that goes only across the forehead,
held in place by an adjustable elastic band 'round the
back of the head. The half-loop has a cross-section shaped
like a narrow "U" and rectangular holes on the forehead
side, through which the sweat passes, to be channeled to
the temples.