Keeping Truffles

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Aussie Lurker, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Hi All,

    The kids and I enjoyed ourselves making chocolate truffles this afternoon. We will be making some
    more closer to Christmas to give as gifts to neighbours etc. The main ingredients are chocolate,
    cream and alcoholic flavourings (yummy).

    How long do you think they would keep in an airtight container in the fridge? I don't want to have
    to do everything at the last minute and was hoping I could make them about a week in advance.

    Many thanks,

    Lurker

    Tags:

  2. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Aussie Lurker wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > The kids and I enjoyed ourselves making chocolate truffles this afternoon. We will be making some
    > more closer to Christmas to give as gifts to neighbours etc. The main ingredients are chocolate,
    > cream and alcoholic flavourings (yummy).
    >
    > How long do you think they would keep in an airtight container in the fridge? I don't want to have
    > to do everything at the last minute and was hoping I could make them about a week in advance.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Lurker

    They should be fine for a couple of weeks as long as you keep them refrigerated.

    Jill

  3. "Aussie Lurker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > How long do you think they would keep in an airtight container in the fridge? I don't want to have
    > to do everything at the last minute and was hoping I could make them about a week in advance.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Lurker

    I think it depends on your recipe. What were the 'minor' ingredients (you mentioned the main ing.
    were cream, chocolate, and alcohol)? If you made truffles out of just chocolate and cream, the
    recipe I have says 2-3 weeks in the fridge and 2-3 months in the freezer. However, if you added
    something like paraffin I would guess it would keep longer.

    rona

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    Aussie Lurker <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hi All,
    >
    >The kids and I enjoyed ourselves making chocolate truffles this afternoon. We will be making some
    >more closer to Christmas to give as gifts to neighbours etc. The main ingredients are chocolate,
    >cream and alcoholic flavourings (yummy).
    >
    >How long do you think they would keep in an airtight container in the fridge? I don't want to have
    >to do everything at the last minute and was hoping I could make them about a week in advance.

    Should be good for a couple of weeks, or you can freeze (ziploc baggies are excellent for this) for
    quite a bit longer.

    Cocoa rolled will need to be freshened up a bit on serving.

    Charlotte

  5. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "Aussie Lurker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > The kids and I enjoyed ourselves making chocolate truffles this afternoon. We will be making some
    > more closer to Christmas to give as gifts to neighbours etc. The main ingredients are chocolate,
    > cream and alcoholic flavourings (yummy).
    >
    > How long do you think they would keep in an airtight container in the fridge? I don't want to have
    > to do everything at the last minute and was hoping I could make them about a week in advance.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Lurker

    Truffles keep for a couple weeks in the fridge, longer in the freezer.

    kimberly

  6. Katra

    Katra Guest

    Nexis wrote:

    > "Aussie Lurker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > server.bigpond.net.au...
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > The kids and I enjoyed ourselves making chocolate truffles this afternoon. We will be making
    > > some more closer to Christmas to give as gifts to neighbours etc. The main ingredients are
    > > chocolate, cream and alcoholic flavourings (yummy).
    > >
    > > How long do you think they would keep in an airtight container in the fridge? I don't want to
    > > have to do everything at the last minute and was hoping I could make them about a week in
    > > advance.
    > >
    > > Many thanks,
    > >
    > > Lurker
    > >

    > Truffles keep for a couple weeks in the fridge, longer in the freezer.
    >
    > kimberly

    Forever if made by Russel Stover... ;-d

    K.

    --
    >^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< [email protected] >^,,^<

    "There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are all owned by
    cats" -- Asimov

    Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-
    cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=katra

  7. I usually store my truffles in rice in the refrigerator. There are some large white ones this year.

    Rex Swartzendruber www.trufflezone.com "Aussie Lurker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    server.bigpond.net.au...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > The kids and I enjoyed ourselves making chocolate truffles this afternoon. We will be making some
    > more closer to Christmas to give as gifts to neighbours etc. The main ingredients are chocolate,
    > cream and alcoholic flavourings (yummy).
    >
    > How long do you think they would keep in an airtight container in the fridge? I don't want to have
    > to do everything at the last minute and was hoping I could make them about a week in advance.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Lurker

  8. Bob Pastorio

    Bob Pastorio Guest

    Rex Swartzendruber wrote:

    > I usually store my truffles in rice in the refrigerator. There are some large white ones
    > this year.

    Um...

    Pastorio

    > Rex Swartzendruber www.trufflezone.com "Aussie Lurker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > server.bigpond.net.au...
    >
    >>Hi All,
    >>
    >>The kids and I enjoyed ourselves making chocolate truffles this afternoon. We will be making some
    >>more closer to Christmas to give as gifts to neighbours etc. The main ingredients are chocolate,
    >>cream and alcoholic flavourings (yummy).
    >>
    >>How long do you think they would keep in an airtight container in the fridge? I don't want to have
    >>to do everything at the last minute and was hoping I could make them about a week in advance.
    >>
    >>Many thanks,
    >>
    >>Lurker

  9. Default User

    Default User Guest

    Bob Pastorio wrote:

    > Rex Swartzendruber wrote:
    >
    > > I usually store my truffles in rice in the refrigerator. There are some large white ones
    > > this year.
    >
    > Um...
    >
    > Pastorio

    Hereby demonstrating yet ANOTHER reason not to top-post. Had Rex interspersed, the chances of
    actually reading the original post would have been higher.

    Brian Rodenborn

  10. Katra <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"Blair P. Houghton" wrote:
    >> My favorite truffles are the first I ever had. Fannie Mae's with a dark center and a coating of
    >> white chocolate and crispy bits.
    >
    >Never tried them.... but will look!

    Good luck. After that first batch, I've been looking for them for 25 or 30 years.

    >The VERY best I ever, ever had was "Toute sweet truffle bars" made in Canada. I got them at central
    >market, but they quit carrying them! <pout>

    Were they by Bernard Callebaut? He's big in Canada, and has opened several shops in America, now.

    >Lindt's are my current favorite. :-d

    They're okay. Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory makes some nice ones, too.

    --Blair "Chocolate-covered cherry season is upon us."

  11. Blake Jones <[email protected]> wrote:
    >In article <[email protected]>, Blair P. Houghton wrote:
    >> My favorite truffles are the first I ever had. Fannie Mae's with a dark center and a coating of
    >> white chocolate and crispy bits.
    >
    >Trinidads, perhaps? Those were probably my first, too. And if they

    Y'know, that could just be it.

    Toasted coconut.

    No wonder I loved them.

    I'm going to have to score some.

    http://www.fanniemay.com/createyourown/ (select "Trinidad" in the "2. Select Item..." listbox)

    >As time has passed, I've found many truffles that I like better; anything

    Or maybe Fannie May stopped making them as good.

    I wonder if I can get the local Callebaut store to duplicate these. Theirs are great.

    >made by a local chocolatier will beat the pants off a Fannie May chocolate. The locally made
    >ones don't keep as well, but I generally don't find that to be a problem. ("They're gone
    >already? Oh man.")

    Yeah. The number that make it into the car and the number that make it home are a diophantine ratio.

    --Blair "Hyperbole. It's not just for elevenses any more."