Keeping Warm

jwroubaix

Jun 6, 2007
How do you guys keep the lower half warm when cycling in the cold. Do you just wear tights or do you need to have warmers as well? Do you need a base layer under the tights or are the tights the base layer? Also, are all the tights basically the same?

the most comfortable I have been in really cold weather was not acheivable with my snug(tight) summer shoes and thin socks... I have a pair of wide and a half-size big shoes, thick Smartwool(brandname) socks, shoes are not cinched down too hard on the buckles, i'm convinced this leaves the circulation in my legs good and with appropriate weight tights was like night and day for comfort.

I used to cycle in winter in Boston on sunny days temps down to 30F, sometimes lower! also commuting in Colo. Springs (15-20mins each way) in temps down to 15F!!! can you say 'w-i-n-d-c-h-i-l-l...'

just my experience, your results may vary... hehe

all's'miles

curby

I wear your namesake ("Roubaix" material longs). But don't ask me, I hate cycling in under 8-10 deg C.

artemidorus said:
I wear your namesake ("Roubaix" material longs). But don't ask me, I hate cycling in under 8-10 deg C.

50 degrees F? Practically balmy in Colorado winters. My minimum is 30 degree F(little less than zero C) and I wear bib knickers+ tights.

jwroubaix said:
How do you guys keep the lower half warm when cycling in the cold. Do you just wear tights or do you need to have warmers as well? Do you need a base layer under the tights or are the tights the base layer? Also, are all the tights basically the same?
I find that when it's cold, a wind layer is absolutely necessary. I can't wear enough layers of tights, long johns, etc. when it's cold. A thin wind proof layer on top of normal tights works very well.

You can buy wind-front tights, but I have a pair of wind pants with baffled (?) knees that I've had for years. They are reasonaby tight fitting so they don't flap in the wind, but are cut for pedaling at the waist and knees.

how can you control moisture beneath a windproof top.

i have a specialized shell that is wind proof with back vents but my torso is soaked with sweat after a ride. but i can ride in 25 to 35 degree weather without getting froze.

anyone got experience with a different top shell?

dave

Padded shorts, Wool tights for warmth with lycra tights over those. I wear this combo down to about 25°F comfortably.

Agree with the 'looser fit shoes with heavy sox' approach. Under shoe covers, my feet stay 'fairly' warm down to 30°F or so. I always found cramping my toes in two layers of sox restricted circulation and they got cold anyway.

Up top, poly or synth fiber base, then wool (sometimes two jerseys), then lycra for more wind resistance. On really cold days a 3-season windstop-front jersey or jacket. It takes really cold temps to get me in a jacket as I haven't managed to find one yet that breathes enough to suit me.

YMMV

I have 3 different winter cycling tights, all polyester or polypro but of increasingly thicker/heavier/warmer construction. The warmest of these were made by Performance about a dozen years ago; these are unpadded, so I wear them over cycling shorts, and they're good down to about 20°F.

I also have a pair of...er, well, I guess they're "tights" though they're not particularly tight, they're actually kinda baggy like pleated trousers...that I wear for commuting, they're got a fuzzy/fleecey lining and they're also good down to about 20°F. (But not particularly aero.)

I have often surmised that I could wear the baggy pleated fuzzy/fleecey tights over the Performance tights and be good to well into the single digits. But since I don't have shoes or gloves that I trust at those temps I have yet to try it.