Keirin Racing

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Tom Nakashima, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. Keirin Racing have been popular in Japan for some time now, just wondering why it hasn't caught on
    in the U.S.? Is it a gambling issue? -tom

    >Keirin Racing have been popular in Japan for some time now, just wondering why it hasn't caught on
    >in the U.S.? Is it a gambling issue?

    It is my understanding that Keirin betting is very similar to horse race betting, so I don't think
    it is a gambling issue.
    --------------
    Alex

  3. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > >Keirin Racing have been popular in Japan for some time now, just
    wondering
    > >why it hasn't caught on in the U.S.? Is it a gambling issue?
    >
    > It is my understanding that Keirin betting is very similar to horse race betting, so I don't think
    > it is a gambling issue.
    > --------------
    > Alex

    For the most part, it is "Keirin? What's that?"

    There were rumors of a Keiring race track being built over at Viejas here in San Diego, but I'll
    believe it when I see it.

    Mike

  4. Bruce Lange

    Bruce Lange Guest

    I'd love to see it. I've been to the track races at the velodrome in Colorado Springs and it's
    really cool to watch. I don't think the gambling issue would be a big deal here, though my aunt
    Tomoko told me that the sport has a seedy reputation in Japan, and that her parents always told her
    to stay away from it.

    I also think that indoor track racing would be a really cool thing to watch in the winter, as I'm
    told is done in northern Europe in smoke-filled arenas with music. Sounds fun.

    -Bruce-

    "Tom Nakashima" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Keirin Racing have been popular in Japan for some time now, just wondering why it hasn't caught on
    > in the U.S.? Is it a gambling issue? -tom

  5. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    > I don't think the gambling issue would be a big deal here, though my aunt Tomoko told me that the
    > sport has a seedy reputation in Japan, and that her parents always told her to stay away from it.

    "Never bet on anything that talks."-H.L. Menken Phil Bown

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Tom Nakashima wrote:
    > Keirin Racing have been popular in Japan for some time now, just wondering why it hasn't caught
    > on in the U.S.? Is it a gambling issue?

    That's a question with no answer but Keirin attendance is dropping in Japan the last few years.
    Which is significant because Keirin revenue goes to the school system. If the trend continues
    another tax will have to be imposed.

  7. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    "Quid non mortalia pectora cogis, auri sacra fames!" - Virgil
    On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:16:44 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Keirin Racing have been popular in Japan for some time now, just wondering why it hasn't caught on
    >in the U.S.? Is it a gambling issue?

    The answer is unusually sensitive to what you mean by "keirin racing".

    Keirin, the event, has become quite popular for both athletes and spectators in amateur and Olympic
    track racing programs (added as a medal event in the 2000 Games). Take six to nine of your best
    sprinters, pace them up to speed for a few laps and then turn them loose for the last 600 meters or
    so. What's not to like?

    Perhaps you're referring to the pari-mutuel aspect of professional Keirin as found in Japan,
    however. If yes, consider the daunting prospect of creating the infrastructure of expensive, event-
    specific venues (velodromes) and rider development for an audience in the US that generally hasn't
    been interested in bike racing since the Great Depression.

    John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida http://www.businesscycles.com Now in our twenty-first
    year. Our catalog of track equipment: eighth year online