kelly or pauls or forge

Gvw

Guest
Currently I use downtube shifters and I prefer them above all. But I would like to place the
shifters on the roadbar. www.kellybike.com www.paulcomb.com www.forge-mtb.com All have those kind of
shifters but I cannot find any info on the max diameter they can take. I want them directly next to
the stem much like a mtb setup. I suspect none of them have a large enough diameter for roadbars?
Perhaps clampons and spacers can be used? Any help is very much welcome.

"gvw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Currently I use downtube shifters and I prefer them above all. But I would like to place the
> shifters on the roadbar. www.kellybike.com www.paulcomb.com www.forge-mtb.com All have those kind
> of shifters but I cannot find any info on the max diameter they can take. I want them directly
> next to the stem much like a mtb setup. I suspect none of them have a large enough diameter for
> roadbars? Perhaps clampons and spacers can be used? Any help is very much welcome.

The Paul Thumbies come in two diameters. One is for the non-clamp part of a mt bike bar and the
second version fits the 26.0 mm clamp part of a road bar. They work with barcon shifters; not sure
if downtube shifters would also work.

"rosco" <reverse-the-following"ocsor_g"@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> "gvw" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BDpWb.528388$_x2.1122380@zonnet-reader-1...
> > Currently I use downtube shifters and I prefer them above all. But I would like to place the
> > shifters on the roadbar. www.kellybike.com www.paulcomb.com www.forge-mtb.com All have those
> > kind of shifters but I cannot find any info on the max diameter they can take. I want them
> > directly next to the stem much like a mtb setup. I suspect none of them have a large enough
> > diameter for roadbars? Perhaps clampons and spacers can be used? Any help is very much welcome.
>
> The Paul Thumbies come in two diameters. One is for the non-clamp part of
> mt bike bar and the second version fits the 26.0 mm clamp part of a road bar. They work with
> barcon shifters; not sure if downtube shifters would also work.

I don't see why they wouldn't work. All you need is the flat shifter washer that you use on older
C-dales or barcons.

I don't think they're going to be the most ergodynamic things, but hey, if he wants to try it
first, let him.

I have a set of Paul's Thumbies on my mtn bike and absolutely LOVE them!

Mike

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message

> I have a set of Paul's Thumbies on my mtn bike and absolutely LOVE them!
>
> Mike

I put a set of Thumbies on my touring bike, and also like them very much (only used them on some
short winter rides so far). Since they are barcon's, they work well, and oh so simple and
serviceable compared with some of the other shifting options out there.

They guy at Paul said the cyclocross folks are asking for the 26mm drop bar version.

> > I have a set of Paul's Thumbies on my mtn bike and absolutely LOVE them!
> >
> > Mike
> >

> I put a set of Thumbies on my touring bike, and also like them very much (only used them on some
> short winter rides so far). Since they are barcon's, they work well, and oh so simple and
> serviceable compared with some of the other shifting options out there.
>
> They guy at Paul said the cyclocross folks are asking for the 26mm drop
bar
> version.

I hear Paul's made a special run of about 50 pair of 26.0 Thumbies. Better get yours while you
still can!

> > > I have a set of Paul's Thumbies on my mtn bike and absolutely LOVE
them!

> > > Mike
> > >

> > I put a set of Thumbies on my touring bike, and also like them very much (only used them on some
> > short winter rides so far). Since they are barcon's, they work well, and oh so simple and
> > serviceable compared with some of the other shifting options out there.
> >
> > They guy at Paul said the cyclocross folks are asking for the 26mm drop
> bar
> > version.
> >
> I hear Paul's made a special run of about 50 pair of 26.0 Thumbies.
Better
> get yours while you still can!
>
> Mike

Several months back Paul's said there was an 80% chance they might do a limited run of Campagnolo
compatible Thumbies sometime this year. It seems someone at Paul Components would like to put
together a Campagnolo based mt bike.

gvw wrote:

> Currently I use downtube shifters and I prefer them above all. But I would like to place the
> shifters on the roadbar. www.kellybike.com www.paulcomb.com www.forge-mtb.com All have those kind
> of shifters but I cannot find any info on the max diameter they can take. I want them directly
> next to the stem much like a mtb setup. I suspect none of them have a large enough diameter for
> roadbars? Perhaps clampons and spacers can be used?

You might just use MTB top friction shifters. They're only $9.95 a side and do exactly what you ask.
Most use a steel clamp that will fit with just a longer 5mm screw and no herculean efforts.

I've silver soldered regular downtube shift bosses to a stainless hose clamp for unusual mounting
positions.

Thanks for your reply.

A Muzi wrote:

> You might just use MTB top friction shifters.

I asume they can be mounted below the bar aswell?

> They're only $9.95 a side and do exactly what you ask. Most use a steel clamp that will fit with
> just a longer 5mm screw and no herculean efforts.

I thought these are for up to 6 speeds, not more? And only friction mode works, no clicks? It's for
a 9 speed bike.

> I've silver soldered regular downtube shift bosses to a stainless hose clamp for unusual mounting
> positions.

Inventive. Where did you place them?

gvw wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.

> A Muzi wrote:
>> You might just use MTB top friction shifters.

(gvw)> I assume they can be mounted below the bar as well?

(am)>> They're only $9.95 a side and do exactly what you ask. Most use a
>> steel clamp that will fit with just a longer 5mm screw and no herculean efforts.

(gvw)> I thought these are for up to 6 speeds, not more?
> And only friction mode works, no clicks? It's for a 9 speed bike.

(am)>> I've silver soldered regular downtube shift bosses to a stainless hose
>> clamp for unusual mounting positions.

(gvw)> Inventive. Where did you place them?

Top shifters come in friction and then 5,6,7,index. (about 3/4 Seven speed) No 8/9 top index AFAIK

Re: friction. I missed the 9-sp index request in your first post, sorry. There aren't 9sp DT
shifters AFAIK but the BarCons can be moved.

The shifter mount was for a project bike. I never saw it, but he had four inch diameter aluminum
frame tube. I just put a pair of shift bosses on a stainless hose clamp.