Ken Bird

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mike Roberts, Jun 1, 2003.

  1. Mike Roberts

    Mike Roberts Guest

    Hi all. I've just 'inherited' what seems like a really decent bike with a frame that bears the
    legend 'Ken Bird'. I've searched the net but I can't really find out much information. Can anyone
    shed any light on who Ken is/was?

    Tags:

  2. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Mike Roberts wrote:
    > Hi all. I've just 'inherited' what seems like a really decent bike with a frame that bears the
    > legend 'Ken Bird'. I've searched the net but I can't really find out much information. Can anyone
    > shed any light on who Ken is/was?

    I would suggest trying the following bike shop: Ken Bird, 37A High Street, Green Street Green,
    Orpington, Kent BR6 6BG

    If its not the same Ken Bird nowadays, then at least they may know. All I can contribute is that he
    is mentioned as a mechanic near the end of this article:
    http://townsleyb.members.beeb.net/procycle/ics0968a.htm

    Jim Price

  3. John B

    John B Guest

    Mike Roberts wrote:

    > Hi all. I've just 'inherited' what seems like a really decent bike with a frame that bears the
    > legend 'Ken Bird'. I've searched the net but I can't really find out much information. Can anyone
    > shed any light on who Ken is/was?

    He was certainly around in the late 60s and early 70's and his bikes and tandems were well known
    particularly in place to place record breaking. I think the Patston/Woodburn pairing always used his
    tandems when they broke numerous records in 1976. He was a well known wheel-builder and acted as a
    mechanic on many national tours - and even the TdF. I remember he was a bit of a colourful character
    and he attended my club's slide show once where he brought the house down (I was but a young whippet
    then!) He may even have been involved with Engers.

    Don't know where he is now, but he operated out of Orpington I think.

    Is the bike you have is white with black block lettering, which seemed to be one of his trademarks?

    John B

  4. In addition to what John B said, he was also involved in Dark Side racing in the early 80's with a
    recumbent trike, sometimes seen fully-faired. I have a photo of it somewhere in the depths of
    Newsletter Central.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/