Ken Kifer

Kevan Smith

Guest
I didn't know him personally, but his web pages provided me with very useful information
(http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/). If you've cited any stats in the h*lm*t threads, chances are
you've used his pages, too. His writings revealed a person of gentle character and even temperament
completely committed to bicycling.

Mr. Kifer was killed by a drunk driver about six miles from his home late Saturday night. This has
been confirmed by people on his mailing list, bicycling advocacy, at Yahoo!

I hope I am wrong.
--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace Hello, GORRY-O!! I'm a GENIUS from HARVARD!!
11:55:03 AM 15 September 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:55:22 -0500, Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:

>I didn't know him personally, but his web pages provided me with very useful information
>(http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/). If you've cited any stats in the h*lm*t threads, chances are
>you've used his pages, too. His writings revealed a person of gentle character and even temperament
>completely committed to bicycling.
>
>Mr. Kifer was killed by a drunk driver about six miles from his home late Saturday night. This has
> been confirmed by people on his mailing list, bicycling advocacy, at Yahoo!
>
>I hope I am wrong.

This is very sad news. I can't help but wonder how long it will take for the victim
blaming to start.

I respect his philosophy not only on cycling but on living life in general. I really appreciated his
web site and I hope that the ideas and opinions he conveyed through his valuable work will live on.

Though the circumstances of his death are very unfortunate, I suspect that he had a happier life and
died with fewer regrets than most.

Still, it's a shame someone had to go and kill him.

--
Chris Bird

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I didn't know him personally, but his web pages provided me with very
useful
> information (http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/). If you've cited any
stats in
> the h*lm*t threads, chances are you've used his pages, too. His writings revealed a person of
> gentle character and even temperament completely
committed
> to bicycling.
>
> Mr. Kifer was killed by a drunk driver about six miles from his home late Saturday night. This has
> been confirmed by people on his mailing list,
bicycling
> advocacy, at Yahoo! (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bicyclingadvocacy/).
>
> I hope I am wrong.

No. No. No. No

DAMMIT

Pete other words fail me.

Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:
> Mr. Kifer was killed by a drunk driver about six miles from his home late Saturday night. This has
> been confirmed by people on his mailing list, bicycling advocacy, at Yahoo!

I've wanted to ask Ken a few questions about his rides and experiences, but I'd always put it off
for some reason. Now I feel silly for not emailing him when I had the chance.

Today I felt like going for a ride, but decided against it as I had some work left to do, and
forecasts called for some showers, and the rain pants I ordered from MEC haven't arrived yet. Then I
read about Ken's death, and thought, screw that. I can take care of work tomorrow, and it's too hot
for wearing rain pants anyway. (Besides, getting wet can be fun sometimes.) So I just filled my
water bottle, and now I'm going out for a ride in his memory.

Carpe diem.

--
Frederic Briere <*> [email protected]

=> <[email protected]> IS NO MORE: <http://www.abacomsucks.com> <=

Sorrowful news indeed. I learned a lot from his web pages and I'm very saddened to hear of this loss.

Comfort to those who grieve.

"R.White" wrote:

> > Our society is to blame for not putting drunk drivers in jail for a loooong time, as opposed to
> > giving them a slap on the hand.
>
> I don't think so. "Our society" wants the hand slapping to stop, but liberal judges, bleeding
> heart juries, and lenient laws that vary too much from state to state all add up to killers still
> behind the wheel.

"Our society" has the highest per capita incarceration rate of any other country in the free world.
There simply isn't room for everyone in jail who should be in there.

Alot of these people in jail are nonviolent drug offenders.

Think about that.

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:35:27 GMT, Goimir <[email protected]> from none wrote:

>Alot of these people in jail are nonviolent drug offenders.

For now that's true as a result of the so-called war on drugs. IN the future, minorities will be
imprisoned mainly on terror charges.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace a cannibal rapidly cuts through Tibet
5:58:28 PM 23 September 2003

David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:
>Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:
>: For now that's true as a result of the so-called war on drugs. IN the future, minorities will be
>: imprisoned mainly on terror charges.
>
>rather, in the future it will be a terroristic act to sell drugs.

And gasoline.

--
Steven O'Neill [email protected] www.bridgetolls.org

Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:
: For now that's true as a result of the so-called war on drugs. IN the future, minorities will be
: imprisoned mainly on terror charges.

rather, in the future it will be a terroristic act to sell drugs. since the money goes to
al-qaeda and all.
--

On 24 Sep 2003 02:06:12 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]> from VISI.com wrote:

>Kevan Smith <[email protected]/\/\> wrote:
>: For now that's true as a result of the so-called war on drugs. IN the future, minorities will be
>: imprisoned mainly on terror charges.
>
>rather, in the future it will be a terroristic act to sell drugs. since the money goes to
>al-qaeda and all.

Yeah, you're right. My bad.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace Is a tattoo real, like a curb or a
battleship? Or are we suffering in Safeway?

"Goimir" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Alot of these people in jail are nonviolent drug offenders.
>

> Think about that.

Okay, I'm thinking, when a nonviolent drug offender is released from jail, then goes out and kills
someone with his truck 4 hours later (like Mr kifer), is he still considered a nonviolent drug
offender? If so can we at least consider him a nonviolent killer?

brian hughes <[email protected]> wrote:
: Okay, I'm thinking, when a nonviolent drug offender is released from jail, then goes out and kills
: someone with his truck 4 hours later (like Mr kifer), is he still considered a nonviolent drug
: offender? If so can we at least consider him a nonviolent killer?

?

certainly you can call him a nonviolent killer after he's killed someone.

are you saying we should keep drug offenders in jail for the possibility they may DUI after they get
out (when they may have no record of it)? seems like bad legal form to say the least.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

> ?
>
> certainly you can call him a nonviolent killer after he's killed someone.
>
> are you saying we should keep drug offenders in jail for the possibility they may DUI after they
> get out (when they may have no record of it)? seems like bad legal form to say the least.

I'm thinking in this case there was a record of repeat offenses--at least the story I read it
indicated that. In Albuquerque there was a 21 year-old guy that recently ran over a 15 year-old
skate boarder and was later arrested and charged with fleeing the scene. The 21 year-old had 41
total offences (driving with some alcohol related) already on his record (yes 41, that's not a
typo). Yet he wasn't behind bars because he apparently was considered non-violent. That is what
seems to be a bad legal system to me--to say the least--to just let someone go until they finally
actually kill someone.

Brian

> are you saying we should keep drug offenders in jail for the possibility they may DUI after they
> get out (when they may have no record of it)? seems like bad legal form to say the least.

I'm sorry I was going to ignore this, but your statement just doesn't make any sense. If they are in
jail for a drug offence, they have a record of DUI.

:
: I'm sorry I was going to ignore this, but your statement just doesn't make any sense. If they are
: in jail for a drug offence, they have a record of DUI.

? i'm sure there any number of drug offenders in jail who have no record of driving under the
influence. maybe they ordered in for pizza when they got the munchies.

i would agree with you, though, that any imprisoned offender with a record of causing repeated harm
to others in the way you stated is probably best not categorized as non-violent.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> > are you saying we should keep drug offenders in jail for the possibility they may DUI after they
> > get out (when they may have no record of it)? seems like bad legal form to say the least.
>
> I'm sorry I was going to ignore this, but your statement just doesn't make any sense. If they are
> in jail for a drug offence, they have a record of DUI.

Not necessarily: most drug offences don't involve driving.

Originally posted by Kevan Smith
I didn't know him personally, but his web pages provided me with very useful information
(http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/). If you've cited any stats in the h*lm*t threads, chances are
you've used his pages, too. His writings revealed a person of gentle character and even temperament
completely committed to bicycling.

Mr. Kifer was killed by a drunk driver about six miles from his home late Saturday night. This has
been confirmed by people on his mailing list, bicycling advocacy, at Yahoo!

I hope I am wrong.
--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace Hello, GORRY-O!! I'm a GENIUS from HARVARD!!
11:55:03 AM 15 September 2003

I am sorry to say it holds true as I just noticed it is now on the website his friend who was proofreading the New World has a bit of a dedication to him.

Ken was a great man, and if it was not for him I would not have ever taken my first tour North to South California, although I had not done such a thing before. And he offered so much information I would go on and read all I could. I became hungry as a student as at that time, I had just got the bike. And today that same bike has covered near 2500 miles and is still running strong. Well perhaps that was a bit long but it is what I wanted to share.

Thanks for Reading

Ray

Originally posted by rlmarr
I am sorry to say it holds true as I just noticed it is now on the website his friend who was proofreading the New World has a bit of a dedication to him.

Ken was a great man, and if it was not for him I would not have ever taken my first tour North to South California, although I had not done such a thing before. And he offered so much information I would go on and read all I could. I became hungry as a student as at that time, I had just got the bike. And today that same bike has covered near 2500 miles and is still running strong. Well perhaps that was a bit long but it is what I wanted to share.

Thanks for Reading

Ray

Rest In Peace Ken and THANKS!

rlmarr <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Kevan Smith wrote:
> > I didn't know him personally, but his web pages provided me with very useful information
> > (http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/). If you've cited any
> > stats in the h*lm*t threads, chances are you've used his pages, too. His writings revealed a
> > person of gentle character and even temperament completely committed to bicycling.
> > Mr. Kifer was killed by a drunk driver about six miles from his home late Saturday night. This
> > has been confirmed by people on his mailing list, bicycling advocacy, at Yahoo!
> > (http://groups.yahoo.c-
> > am wrong.
> > --
> > http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace Hello,
> > GORRY-O!! I'm a GENIUS from HARVARD!!
> > 11:55:03 AM 15 September 2003
>

> I am sorry to say it holds true as I just noticed it is now on the website his friend who was
> proofreading the New World has a bit of a dedication to him.
>
> Ken was a great man, and if it was not for him I would not have ever taken my first tour North to
> South California, although I had not done such a thing before. And he offered so much information
> I would go on and read all I could. I became hungry as a student as at that time, I had just got
> the bike. And today that same bike has covered near 2500 miles and is still running strong. Well
> perhaps that was a bit long but it is what I wanted to share.
>
> Thanks for Reading
>
> Ray

Ken Kifer encouraged me, through his web site, to do more walking, hiking, and biking. From what
I'm reading in this string many others have too. I liked his gentle but persuasive tone of his
writing. I will miss him.

regards, mike