Kennedy CycleFit

nitrous said:
Thinking of taking the new roadie down to Black Rock to get a CycleFit. Anyone been fitted by Kennedy? How did you find it? Worthwhile?

Hi

I got referred to John several years ago by a guy who did triathalon. I was bit sceptical at first, but after observing John fitting people on bikes (he didn't mind me doing this), he seemed to know what he was doing. A lot of people came from all over the country literally. Kennedy says to people he has fitted thousands of people, he even pulls some of the manual files out to show you, if you think he is full of BS. That got me over the scepticism and cost hurdle. I ultimately had a bike made by John, now 4 years old. It is in great condition, and I have done a bit over 6,500 km on it. I don't race, but enjoy Around the Bay, Beach Road and similar rides. During the period, I have never had a back, leg, hand or knee hiccup. I can also indicate, that I understand how these things occur after spending some time with John (again watching what he does). I had my wifes bike tuned up, so that she could do Around the Bay and other rides with me on her old bike. Similarly, never a problem because her bike fitted well. You might think that this sounds a bit gushy, but I have been so happy with what John has done, that a few months back I had John make a new bike for my wife - worth every penny. Not cheap, but worth it. No hassle in taking it back for initial adjustment etc. John is not a communicator in a corporate style, but be assured, he knows bikes! He also wasn't bad when he raced as a former world champ. He will probably tell you that himself - modesty is not one of his virtues.

For all of the noise, I found the service thoroughly money well spent. So far, I think its around $8,500. Don't need to say much more.

JD

dowlingjlm said:
Hi

I got referred to John several years ago by a guy who did triathalon. I was bit sceptical at first, but after observing John fitting people on bikes (he didn't mind me doing this), he seemed to know what he was doing. A lot of people came from all over the country literally. Kennedy says to people he has fitted thousands of people, he even pulls some of the manual files out to show you, if you think he is full of BS. That got me over the scepticism and cost hurdle. I ultimately had a bike made by John, now 4 years old. It is in great condition, and I have done a bit over 6,500 km on it. I don't race, but enjoy Around the Bay, Beach Road and similar rides. During the period, I have never had a back, leg, hand or knee hiccup. I can also indicate, that I understand how these things occur after spending some time with John (again watching what he does). I had my wifes bike tuned up, so that she could do Around the Bay and other rides with me on her old bike. Similarly, never a problem because her bike fitted well. You might think that this sounds a bit gushy, but I have been so happy with what John has done, that a few months back I had John make a new bike for my wife - worth every penny. Not cheap, but worth it. No hassle in taking it back for initial adjustment etc. John is not a communicator in a corporate style, but be assured, he knows bikes! He also wasn't bad when he raced as a former world champ. He will probably tell you that himself - modesty is not one of his virtues.

For all of the noise, I found the service thoroughly money well spent. So far, I think its around $8,500. Don't need to say much more.

JD
I certainly agree with you and happy to add to that JD, .............he also is a wealth of considered advice on fitness training, road and track technique and bunch etiquette.

If you want to see a smoother more tactically perfect and skilled rider both on the road and on the track you would be hard pressed to go beyond JK.

This comes to his customers way beyond what can be pulled from the web, or out of a text book. He has the smarts and the experience to deliver...he doesnt have to be polite, he doesnt have to be mushy to you, he delivers the facts, as softly as the circumstances permit...if anyone is too wussy to accept that then maybe those other "coaches" out there are welcome to them...

John doesnt "coach" in the traditional sense, if he did put up a shingle as a full time coach, all the others would have very little business, but he is there for his customers and those who appreciate that benefit way beyond what they might pay in dollar terms for a fit and some parts or a new frame!

Oh and he proudly asserts he has no "competitors". He is JK, there is only one, and for many thousands its true!. :cool:

* free ad for JK now concludes* ....* the film ends..mainly visually!!*
*soft musics fades to vision of knights bearing coconuts simulating riding into medieval sunset*

Generally what happens is that he will move your seat post backwards and try and lift the bars. The thing is that you spend $250 to get measured up and then he goes and eyeballs it anyway when you sit on the bike so you do end up wondering what the money was spent on.

Really he could do all of this without the science as he does not really use this. That said he is good to talk to and he will send you down the right track. I paid the $400 to get my bike changed but since then I have taken off all of the things that he put onto this and have added a spacer, $5 part, to lift my handlebars and I am very happy with the current position. I race and train so I spend enough time on the bike to get hurt if it is not right.

He can save you a lot of grief as you start off but really even after he has done his work you will still need to find the position that you really like.

nitrous said:
Thinking of taking the new roadie down to Black Rock to get a CycleFit. Anyone been fitted by Kennedy? How did you find it? Worthwhile?

lay back seat post, high rise stem, + talk +talk, (try to sell you some more parts) $200+, thank you very much!! money well spend??

I can also strongly recommend The Bicycle Superstore in Mentone. Talk to Sean Godley. Very knowledgeable on aspects of cycling and highly unlikely to charge $200 bucks.

Yep - went down for a look. $250 for the fit places it out of my "preventative" price range but will certainly reevaluate it if I have any problems/pain. So far, I've had 200 comfortable km's on the new bicycle so I'll hold out a little more time to see if it's instantly necessary.

<spam removed / idiot banned>

Way to bring up a zombie thread just to spam it mofo
nerd.png