Kent Tandem Bicycle

Anyone know about the Kent Tandem Bicycle. I'm interested in how heavy
the whole bicycle is. Anyone own one. They seem too good to be true,
price wise.

On Jun 26, 9:48 pm, curly Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > Anyone know about the Kent Tandem Bicycle. I'm interested in how heavy
> > the whole bicycle is. Anyone own one. They seem too good to be true,
> > price wise.

> I liked the reviews at amazon.comhttp://www.amazon.com/Kent-Dual-Drive-Tandem-Comfort/dp/B000LELCIE/re...

I would still like to know, if anyone knows how heavy the bike is,
thanks

On Jun 27, 8:02 am, [email protected] wrote:
> On Jun 26, 9:48 pm, curly Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > Anyone know about the Kent Tandem Bicycle. I'm interested in how heavy
> > > the whole bicycle is. Anyone own one. They seem too good to be true,
> > > price wise.

> >   I liked the reviews at amazon.comhttp://www.amazon.com/Kent-Dual-Drive-Tandem-Comfort/dp/B000LELCIE/re...

> I would still like to know, if anyone knows how heavy the bike is,
> thanks

Will you be having a cheap tandem weighing contest with your
neighbors? Or perhaps there's a county tandem fling-win-a-dinner-for-
two?

"curly Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| [email protected] wrote:
| > Anyone know about the Kent Tandem Bicycle. I'm interested in how heavy
| > the whole bicycle is. Anyone own one. They seem too good to be true,
| > price wise.
|
| I liked the reviews at amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Kent-Dual-Drive-Tandem-Comfort/dp/B000LELCIE/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i

That first review is hilarious! The guy actually measures the ball bearings
for tolerance? And talks about how much better this new tandem is than the
Columbia he had before?

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

In article <[email protected]>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "curly Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> | [email protected] wrote:
> | > Anyone know about the Kent Tandem Bicycle. I'm interested in how heavy
> | > the whole bicycle is. Anyone own one. They seem too good to be true,
> | > price wise.
> |
> | I liked the reviews at amazon.com
> |
> http://www.amazon.com/Kent-Dual-Drive-Tandem-Comfort/dp/B000LELCIE/ref=tag_tdp
> _sv_edpp_i
>
> That first review is hilarious! The guy actually measures the ball bearings
> for tolerance? And talks about how much better this new tandem is than the
> Columbia he had before?

It's funny, sure, but that review actually told you everything you'd
need to know about buying that bike, most notably that assembly (and
wheel truing...) is going to be a DIY affair.

As for the Columbia tandem, without more information, it's hard to say
if it was better or worse, but to the reviewer's credit, he did a 50 km
ride on it! I suspect 50 km is more than the lifetime mileage of a lot
of cheap tandems, possibly including my own.

mic'ing the ball bearings is a rather bizarre plan, but the dude was
clearly in there already to lube things up, so why not?

As much as many cyclist exhibit an elite attitude, what about the casual user who wants to try something new? My friend purchased one of these bikes for him and his reluctant wife. Is it a Santana? No! But, the frame alone is worth the price of the whole bike. Sure, be prepared to replace seats, pedals, brakes right off the bat! That's what I did for my friend. We put dual pivot caliper brakes on the front and rear, new seats, and new pedals. I trued the wheels, only 36 spokes, so expect this will be an ongoing issue. Oh yeah, we purchased a cheap suspension seat post for the stoker. They have put a few hundred miles on the bike so far. The shifting has been spot on, the braking is adequate, and the frame is great! It is a strong fast and relatively light bike. I am sure the frame is straight gauge al. but the welds were solid and the bike rides true. We are getting an adjustable stem for the captain. Still the price is well below $800, the bike looks good and should perform well for most recreational teams! The stock brakes are JUNK and should not be ridden with at all!
Pedal on!