Keo Cleats

AussieRob

Mar 7, 2005
I have used 'normal' Look pedals and cleats for some years and never had a problem, but I can't screw the Keo cleats down tight enough to stop them moving around on my shoe. They are fine if I head out for a couple of laps, but when I slug it out on a climb they move on me. Any one have any suggestions apart from screw them on tighter, or pedal using better technique?

Has any one had a similar problem? and has anyone else noticed how fast these cleats wear? I'm nearly on my second pair, looks like a great money spinner for Look.

Thanks

I've heard they wear fast, and I've ordered a pair of the cleat covers for them just to be on the safe side (and damn they're slippery too!!! I almost fell down the stairs the other day). As far as I can tell mine have not moved at all since I put them on about two weeks/6-7 rides ago. I have heard of some shoes needing a layer of something between the cleat and sole of the shoe though--what kind of shoes are you using? I've currently got the Specialized Carbon Pro's and they've got a sandpaper like coating underneath the cleat.

AussieRob said:
I have used 'normal' Look pedals and cleats for some years and never had a problem, but I can't screw the Keo cleats down tight enough to stop them moving around on my shoe. They are fine if I head out for a couple of laps, but when I slug it out on a climb they move on me. Any one have any suggestions apart from screw them on tighter, or pedal using better technique?

Has any one had a similar problem? and has anyone else noticed how fast these cleats wear? I'm nearly on my second pair, looks like a great money spinner for Look.

Thanks

Mine have not moved since I put them on about 6 months ago. Your shoe fittings might not be deep enough to allow you to tighten the Look screws all the way. Your options could be to make the screws shorter by filling them down or to buy shorter screws at your local hardware store. Make sure they are metric screws. I would opt for the second option and buy hex screws instead of regular ones such as the Looks.

rob, this must be a local phenomenon as i've had them move a little bit myself. i use sidi shoes, and ive just tried to screw them in tighter and so far they've been ok. i've heard a ppl getting longer (contrary to the last post) screws from a hardware store so u can screw them in a bit further. a hex based screw is a good idea tho.

im more interested in what ppl think about the red cleat and its *excessive* float. ive started to get used to it now but have given a lot of thought to the black (fixed) cleats. is everyone here still using the red cleats?

I have not had any slippage problems, but I did install the cleats using "aftermarket" screws I picked up at the hardware store. They were in fact a little longer than the ones which came with the Keo cleats but they worked fine with my Sidi's. I got stainless steel "phillips head" screws which seem to be quite a bit sturdier than the ones that came with the Keos. This allowed me to torque the crud out of them without any stripping.

I don't find the red cleats to have too much float, having switched from Time Impact pedals--the float is what I wanted, at least for now. I definitely agree with getting rid of the stock screws--I stripped mine by the second time I tried to adjust the cleats! :eek:

If the red cleats offer too much float, try the new grey cleats that Look is making for the Keo. They offer 4.5 deg float - half that of the red cleats. Not too many places have them, or even know they exist. I got mine at www.competitivecyclist.com