Kestrel 200 refurbishing Question

Skyward

Feb 6, 2004
I have and old Kestrel 200 which I’m thinking of updating: I emailed Kestrel about refurbishing the frame and this was there response.

“Kestrel does no refurbishing in a "turn around" fashion where we will refurbish that frame and that is the frame that is returned to you.....The refurbish process takes 8-10 months.....Sending in a old 200 you can replace it with a already refurbished 200 of same......new refurb. frame will have the current 2 bolt seat collar....closed cable guides.....polished drops with current 130mm spacing....a new paint job and new 1" threadless EMS Pro fork for 525.00.”

I’m wondering if this is a good deal, also I’m going to need a whole new drive train. Then bike is currently 7 speed, if I want to update this to 9 or 10 speed is there anything frame wise that I would need to consider. In other words would the size difference in the cassette be made up with a smaller hub so as to fit in the same frame that a 7 speed is in?

Also is it worth it to update this frame or would I be better off buying a new bike?

Save your money and get a new frame. There are too many good deals out there. I have seen a lot of NOS Kestrels on e-bay for great prices. (if you want to stick with Kestrel) My favorite saying is "you can't polish a turd"

Originally posted by Skyward
I have and old Kestrel 200 which I’m thinking of updating: I emailed Kestrel about refurbishing the frame and this was there response.

“Kestrel does no refurbishing in a "turn around" fashion where we will refurbish that frame and that is the frame that is returned to you.....The refurbish process takes 8-10 months.....Sending in a old 200 you can replace it with a already refurbished 200 of same......new refurb. frame will have the current 2 bolt seat collar....closed cable guides.....polished drops with current 130mm spacing....a new paint job and new 1" threadless EMS Pro fork for 525.00.”

I’m wondering if this is a good deal, also I’m going to need a whole new drive train. Then bike is currently 7 speed, if I want to update this to 9 or 10 speed is there anything frame wise that I would need to consider. In other words would the size difference in the cassette be made up with a smaller hub so as to fit in the same frame that a 7 speed is in?

Also is it worth it to update this frame or would I be better off buying a new bike?
Current 8,9, 10 speed dropout spacing is 130. Old 7 speed was 126mm. Some late 7 speeds had a comprimise 128 spacing in which a 130 hub could be run. It isn't recommended to try and use a 130 hub in 126 dropouts with aluminum or cf stays. If the hub is 7 speed hyperglide, it's possible to use a 9 speed cassette,remove a cog and spacer and shift it with a 9 speed shifter,thus keeping a 126 hub,but getting upgraded shifting. I would not spend alot of money on it,but It's may be possible to do a repaint fairly inexpensively if the frame is sound.

The frame is in good shape, just needs some new paint. Can I special order 7 speed ultegra components or have they been completley discontinued?

Originally posted by Skyward
The frame is in good shape, just needs some new paint. Can I special order 7 speed ultegra components or have they been completley discontinued?
7 speed ultegra is long out of production. ebay is a good source of stuff. Anything shimano 7, 8 or 9 speed will work other than shifters and cassettes or pre 9 speed DA rear derailers, and shifters which have to be used together.