Kestrel, Cannondale, or Trek

craftydoc

Oct 7, 2004
I am looking at purchasing a Kestrel Talon or Talon SL as my next road bike and am looking for opinions and feedback about them. What are the good and the bad characteristics of them. I am also looking at Trek carbon frames as well as the Cannondale Six13. What is your pick?

craftydoc said:
I am looking at purchasing a Kestrel Talon or Talon SL as my next road bike and am looking for opinions and feedback about them. What are the good and the bad characteristics of them. I am also looking at Trek carbon frames as well as the Cannondale Six13. What is your pick?
In order of what I would buy first to what I would buy last.
1. Cannondale Six13
2. Trek OCLV
3. Kestrel Talon SL

I would opt for the Six13 overall because I like the fact of the Carbon and Aluminum. That is probably one of the best inventions.

Just my .02.

craftydoc said:

Based on test rides I did last fall, I'd say the Talon is stiffer riding than the Trek 5200....now 5000. Talon would be great for TT's, but I'd go with the Trek for comfort on the club riding and Centuries which I do.

Actually, the new Kestrel Evoke interests me a lot. A buddy here has just got one, and loves it. Bicycling mag said it's a good ride, with superb handling....important on the twisty high-speed descents around here.
Plus, I love the sleath-fighter tubeshapes and matte finish finish.

Really is best to go on your own test rides and determine what you like. Based on your weight, strength, experience and intended use, the best bike for you may be a lot different than what others here recommend.

Something else to consider in this case is my size. I am 6' 190lbs. In this case, a stiffer frame might be the better to go with. Please let me know if I am wrong about this...
dhk said:
Based on test rides I did last fall, I'd say the Talon is stiffer riding than the Trek 5200....now 5000. Talon would be great for TT's, but I'd go with the Trek for comfort on the club riding and Centuries which I do.

Actually, the new Kestrel Evoke interests me a lot. A buddy here has just got one, and loves it. Bicycling mag said it's a good ride, with superb handling....important on the twisty high-speed descents around here.
Plus, I love the sleath-fighter tubeshapes and matte finish finish.

Really is best to go on your own test rides and determine what you like. Based on your weight, strength, experience and intended use, the best bike for you may be a lot different than what others here recommend.

trek madone fixed the stiffness problems of the 5000 series. thats why the madone 5.2 is replacing the 5200.

trek madone or madone sl no question

but most important is to ride all you can and decide what feels best to you

Trek all the way :) I think the OCLV combination of stiffness and shock absorption is awesome.

Steve

Well I own both the Kestrel Talon and the Trek 5200. I weigh 220 lbs and hands down the 5200 is stiffer and offers a smoother ride. The Talon reacts quicker to steering imputs and at times can be a handfull cornering at speed.

I bought an Obea Orca about two months ago and I love the ride. Very stiff, light and smooth. The handeling is predicable and netrual. If your budget allows, I'd recommend the Orca.

My experience with two Cannondale bikes is that they are total ****, and over priced. Two frames, one cracked at the chain stay/bb, the other cracked at the bb/down tube. Cannondale's warranty dept blew it each time and failed to honor the replacement.

Anecdotal for sure - but there are plenty of other bikes out their, and definately better values.

HammerTD said:
trek madone fixed the stiffness problems of the 5000 series. thats why the madone 5.2 is replacing the 5200.

There were stiffness problems with the 5000 series? I just test road a 5000 a few weeks ago and was amazed at how stiff the BB felt. Of course, I'm coming from a '89 steel Bianchi, so my standards might be the problem...

Dean

insmanblue said:
Well I own both the Kestrel Talon and the Trek 5200. I weigh 220 lbs and hands down the 5200 is stiffer and offers a smoother ride. The Talon reacts quicker to steering imputs and at times can be a handfull cornering at speed.

I bought an Obea Orca about two months ago and I love the ride. Very stiff, light and smooth. The handeling is predicable and netrual. If your budget allows, I'd recommend the Orca.
I own a Kestrel Talon and a Giant TCR Aluminum. The Kestrel is the newer of the two bikes; I love it! I am really impressed by how the Kestrel translates my inputs into speed. Perhaps because it's a new bike for me I haven't yet experienced all of this bike's personality. So far, though, it has been a very comfortable road bike to ride.

insmanblue said:

Insmanblue,
Where can I take a look at the Obea...I haven't heard much of anything about them at all. But I am interested in learning more about it if it is one that might be recommended.

By the looks of things, I should probably consider adding another bike to the mix here. The Giant TCR. My father has an '03 TCR Elite...I have ridden it a few times and was pleased. What are your thoughts on the TCR series?

craftydoc said:
By the looks of things, I should probably consider adding another bike to the mix here. The Giant TCR. My father has an '03 TCR Elite...I have ridden it a few times and was pleased. What are your thoughts on the TCR series?
I have an `04 TCR Aluminum and the only reason I bought the Kestral Talon was because I also wanted a carbon bike (I got the Kestral because I couldn't find the TCR Composite in my size). I don't know all of the jargon, but let me say that the TCR is a lot of fun! It's light and feels very solid underneath you. There's a ride I take throught the park that's about 35 miles round-trip - lots of quick turns, fast straight-aways, a few hills. My TCR doesn't wear me out on those runs.