Kestrel EMS Pro OS fork

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mark Trimble, Feb 27, 2003.

  1. Mark Trimble

    Mark Trimble Guest

    Why have Kestrel forks significantly decreased in popularity? Is it simply the case that the
    competition is stiffer (no pun intended)? Years ago the EMS was the hot fork; now I can't think of
    any frame builder that recommends it. I switched from a Reynolds Ouzo Pro to the EMS Pro/OS (because
    I wanted an alloy steerer) and I can't tell a difference...

    Tags:

  2. "Mark Trimble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Why have Kestrel forks significantly decreased in popularity? Is it simply the case that the
    > competition is stiffer (no pun intended)? Years ago the EMS was the hot fork; now I can't think of
    > any frame builder that recommends it. I switched from a Reynolds Ouzo Pro to the EMS Pro/OS
    > (because I wanted an alloy steerer) and I can't tell a difference...

    Shot in the dark here, but say you're a bike manufacturer. Who are you going to prefer to deal with;
    a supplier/subcontractor of parts for frames, like Reynolds or Easton, or a direct marketing
    competitor like Kestrel or Look?

    SB

  3. "Steve Blankenship" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > "Mark Trimble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Why have Kestrel forks significantly decreased in popularity? Is it simply the case that the
    > > competition is stiffer (no pun intended)? Years ago the EMS was the hot fork; now I can't think
    > > of any frame builder that recommends it. I switched from a Reynolds Ouzo Pro to the EMS Pro/OS
    > > (because I wanted an alloy steerer) and I can't tell a difference...
    >
    > Shot in the dark here, but say you're a bike manufacturer. Who are you going to prefer to deal
    > with; a supplier/subcontractor of parts for
    frames,
    > like Reynolds or Easton, or a direct marketing competitor like Kestrel or Look?

    Actually, I think the reason why Kestrel forks have "declined" in popularity is because unlike
    Reynolds, True Temper, Easton and others, Kestrel does NOT offer a carbon steerer tube carbon fork.
    Thus, when you compare say the Kestrel EMS fork with the competitors, the fork seems heavy at 500+g
    versus 350g or less for carbon steerer tube carbon forks....