Kestrel Talon Question

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Fred, Apr 24, 2003.

  1. Fred

    Fred Guest

    Hi,

    I just completed my third ever ride on my new Kestrel Talon. Man, I really love this bike!

    This morning however, I noticed a small 'gap' or 'crack' near the seat-clamp screw which has me
    concerned. Its on the left hand side (if you're sitting on the bike) of the seatpost clamp screw and
    looks like a very uniform half-circle gap that almost looks like its there for a reason. I'm
    wondering if this is supposed to be there or if its a crack.

    I haven't adjusted the seatpost since getting the bike, but they did adjust it at the store when I
    was fitted after my purchase.

    I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid of my new 'baby', but any comments would be appreciated.

    Thanks, Fred [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (Fred) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just completed my third ever ride on my new Kestrel Talon. Man, I really love this bike!
    >
    > This morning however, I noticed a small 'gap' or 'crack' near the seat-clamp screw which has me
    > concerned. Its on the left hand side (if you're sitting on the bike) of the seatpost clamp screw
    > and looks like a very uniform half-circle gap that almost looks like its there for a reason. I'm
    > wondering if this is supposed to be there or if its a crack.
    >
    > I haven't adjusted the seatpost since getting the bike, but they did adjust it at the store when I
    > was fitted after my purchase.
    >
    > I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid of my new 'baby', but any comments would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks, Fred [email protected]

    I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about. I've noticed the same thing on my recently
    purchased Talon. The tighter the seat-clamp bolt, the slightly larger the "crack". I've assumed that
    it's a natural result of stress associated with the seat cluster assembly.

  3. A cracked frame is never, never, never good. Mate, do yourself a favor and take it back to the shop
    tommorrow.

    [email protected] (Roger Wrolstad) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Fred) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I just completed my third ever ride on my new Kestrel Talon. Man, I really love this bike!
    > >
    > > This morning however, I noticed a small 'gap' or 'crack' near the seat-clamp screw which has me
    > > concerned. Its on the left hand side (if you're sitting on the bike) of the seatpost clamp screw
    > > and looks like a very uniform half-circle gap that almost looks like its there for a reason. I'm
    > > wondering if this is supposed to be there or if its a crack.
    > >
    > > I haven't adjusted the seatpost since getting the bike, but they did adjust it at the store when
    > > I was fitted after my purchase.
    > >
    > > I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid of my new 'baby', but any comments would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Fred [email protected]
    >
    > I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about. I've noticed the same thing on my recently
    > purchased Talon. The tighter the seat-clamp bolt, the slightly larger the "crack". I've assumed
    > that it's a natural result of stress associated with the seat cluster assembly.

  4. Fred

    Fred Guest

    I appreciate the comments on this. I contacted Kestrel customer service (great response from these
    folks) and it turns out that this gap is indeed supposed to be present. Its actually a void in the
    carbon mold that allows the integrated seat clamping mechanism to close around the seatpost - the
    tighter the seatpost is clamped the larger the gap appears.

    Subsequent visits to my LBS confirmed that all the Kestrels there had this present, although its not
    too obvious if the seat post isn't clamped in securely.

    - Fred

    [email protected] (Dr. Steven Walker) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > A cracked frame is never, never, never good. Mate, do yourself a favor and take it back to the
    > shop tommorrow.
    >
    > [email protected] (Roger Wrolstad) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (Fred) wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I just completed my third ever ride on my new Kestrel Talon. Man, I really love this bike!
    > > >
    > > > This morning however, I noticed a small 'gap' or 'crack' near the seat-clamp screw which has
    > > > me concerned. Its on the left hand side (if you're sitting on the bike) of the seatpost clamp
    > > > screw and looks like a very uniform half-circle gap that almost looks like its there for a
    > > > reason. I'm wondering if this is supposed to be there or if its a crack.
    > > >
    > > > I haven't adjusted the seatpost since getting the bike, but they did adjust it at the store
    > > > when I was fitted after my purchase.
    > > >
    > > > I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid of my new 'baby', but any comments would be appreciated.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks, Fred [email protected]
    > >
    > > I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about. I've noticed the same thing on my recently
    > > purchased Talon. The tighter the seat-clamp bolt, the slightly larger the "crack". I've assumed
    > > that it's a natural result of stress associated with the seat cluster assembly.

  5. Roger Hunter

    Roger Hunter Guest

    > and it turns out that this gap is indeed supposed to be present. Its actually a void in the carbon
    > mold that allows the integrated seat clamping mechanism to close around the seatpost - the tighter
    > the seatpost is clamped the larger the gap appears.

    Interesting. I've never heard of a carbon fibre manufacturer *designing* cracks into their
    structures - in fact they usually go to considerable lengths to avoid cracks - but I'm sure they
    wouldn't tell lies...

    I'm glad I ride titanium :) See crack? Dump frame.

    Roger.

  6. I bet you have a fine crack, my son.

    Fr. Guido

    news:<[email protected]>...