Kestrel Talon Question

Fred

Guest
Hi,

I just completed my third ever ride on my new Kestrel Talon. Man, I really love this bike!

This morning however, I noticed a small 'gap' or 'crack' near the seat-clamp screw which has me
concerned. Its on the left hand side (if you're sitting on the bike) of the seatpost clamp screw and
looks like a very uniform half-circle gap that almost looks like its there for a reason. I'm
wondering if this is supposed to be there or if its a crack.

I haven't adjusted the seatpost since getting the bike, but they did adjust it at the store when I
was fitted after my purchase.

I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid of my new 'baby', but any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, Fred [email protected]

[email protected] (Fred) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi,
>
> I just completed my third ever ride on my new Kestrel Talon. Man, I really love this bike!
>
> This morning however, I noticed a small 'gap' or 'crack' near the seat-clamp screw which has me
> concerned. Its on the left hand side (if you're sitting on the bike) of the seatpost clamp screw
> and looks like a very uniform half-circle gap that almost looks like its there for a reason. I'm
> wondering if this is supposed to be there or if its a crack.
>
> I haven't adjusted the seatpost since getting the bike, but they did adjust it at the store when I
> was fitted after my purchase.
>
> I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid of my new 'baby', but any comments would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Fred [email protected]

I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about. I've noticed the same thing on my recently
purchased Talon. The tighter the seat-clamp bolt, the slightly larger the "crack". I've assumed that
it's a natural result of stress associated with the seat cluster assembly.

A cracked frame is never, never, never good. Mate, do yourself a favor and take it back to the shop
tommorrow.

[email protected] (Roger Wrolstad) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Fred) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just completed my third ever ride on my new Kestrel Talon. Man, I really love this bike!
> >
> > This morning however, I noticed a small 'gap' or 'crack' near the seat-clamp screw which has me
> > concerned. Its on the left hand side (if you're sitting on the bike) of the seatpost clamp screw
> > and looks like a very uniform half-circle gap that almost looks like its there for a reason. I'm
> > wondering if this is supposed to be there or if its a crack.
> >
> > I haven't adjusted the seatpost since getting the bike, but they did adjust it at the store when
> > I was fitted after my purchase.
> >
> > I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid of my new 'baby', but any comments would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks, Fred [email protected]
>
> I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about. I've noticed the same thing on my recently
> purchased Talon. The tighter the seat-clamp bolt, the slightly larger the "crack". I've assumed
> that it's a natural result of stress associated with the seat cluster assembly.

I appreciate the comments on this. I contacted Kestrel customer service (great response from these
folks) and it turns out that this gap is indeed supposed to be present. Its actually a void in the
carbon mold that allows the integrated seat clamping mechanism to close around the seatpost - the
tighter the seatpost is clamped the larger the gap appears.

Subsequent visits to my LBS confirmed that all the Kestrels there had this present, although its not
too obvious if the seat post isn't clamped in securely.

- Fred

[email protected] (Dr. Steven Walker) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> A cracked frame is never, never, never good. Mate, do yourself a favor and take it back to the
> shop tommorrow.
>
> [email protected] (Roger Wrolstad) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (Fred) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I just completed my third ever ride on my new Kestrel Talon. Man, I really love this bike!
> > >
> > > This morning however, I noticed a small 'gap' or 'crack' near the seat-clamp screw which has
> > > me concerned. Its on the left hand side (if you're sitting on the bike) of the seatpost clamp
> > > screw and looks like a very uniform half-circle gap that almost looks like its there for a
> > > reason. I'm wondering if this is supposed to be there or if its a crack.
> > >
> > > I haven't adjusted the seatpost since getting the bike, but they did adjust it at the store
> > > when I was fitted after my purchase.
> > >
> > > I'm hoping I'm just being paranoid of my new 'baby', but any comments would be appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks, Fred [email protected]
> >
> > I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about. I've noticed the same thing on my recently
> > purchased Talon. The tighter the seat-clamp bolt, the slightly larger the "crack". I've assumed
> > that it's a natural result of stress associated with the seat cluster assembly.

> and it turns out that this gap is indeed supposed to be present. Its actually a void in the carbon
> mold that allows the integrated seat clamping mechanism to close around the seatpost - the tighter
> the seatpost is clamped the larger the gap appears.

Interesting. I've never heard of a carbon fibre manufacturer *designing* cracks into their
structures - in fact they usually go to considerable lengths to avoid cracks - but I'm sure they
wouldn't tell lies...

I'm glad I ride titanium :) See crack? Dump frame.

Roger.

I bet you have a fine crack, my son.

Fr. Guido

news:<[email protected]>...