Kestrel, Trek, or....

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Triplecentury, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Triplecentury

Triplecentury New Member

Dear Forum,

I have a Renolds 531 frame from the late 80's and would like to upgrade to a triple chain/cassette bicycle. I mostly go on long rides and like to climb. I've looked at the Trek 2200/5200 and the Kestrel Talon with Ultegra. Does anyone have strong opinions either way in this price range?

By the way, I'm located in the San Jose area.

Thanks for any help you can offer. I'm 45 and this may be the last bicycle I purchase!

Tags:

2. ajo

ajo New Member

Since you are changing from a steel bike I recommend you to go for a carbon (or TI or steel) bike - e.g. the Kestrel.
    Alu bikes are normally to stiff and "dead", you will not get the same good feeling as when riding the 531 frame. A proper made carbon frame is much better.
    (Riders "grown up" with alu bikes will not understand this - it's only for us priveleged to have owned real steel bikes.)

3. CA90290

CA90290 New Member

Check out Calfee made just over the hill in Santa Cruz. Stiff on the climbs and soft on the flats.

4. ToddTaylor

ToddTaylor New Member

All I can comment on is the Trek 5200 you listed. I've had one for a few years now and I absolutely love it. Sure, it was over $2k, but I'd make the purchase again in a heartbeat.

My of my rides are very hilly (at least as far as Wisconsin is concerned) and the bike is fast on the way up AND down the hills :D I'd have to assume some of this is due to the Rolf Vector Pro wheels (upgraded, but I'm sure the new bikes have something else.)

As far as comfort, well, it is pretty stiff. The saddle that came with my bike was way too hard, and my rear still isn't happy with the Selle Italia Flite saddle I have now :(

My last bike was a Specialized Epic Comp (carbon frame / early Ultegra STI.)