Ketosis

John S

Guest
Hello Everyone, I was just curious to know if there are any
knowledgable people out there that can explain the above
subject to me in more detail. I would like to try it, but am
sceptical there isn't enough research information out there
to back up trying to go into a state of ketosis. I exercise
quite regulary and am a undergo regular weight training. Is
this lifestyle choice a bad one cause of low Carbohydrate
levels? Any advice from anyone, or especially people who are
quite sports oreintated, please post feedback. I'm a healthy
24 year old with no family history of heart problems under
55. Thanks in Advance John

[email protected] [email protected] [email protected] Once
upon a time, our fellow John S rambled on about "Ketosis."
Our champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts,
thusly ...

>I'm a healthy 24 year old with no family history of heart
>problems under 55.

That pretty much explains the low IQ problem.

Ha, ... Hah, Ha!

Just my opinion. But, I am *right* as usual!

John S <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello Everyone, I was just curious to know if there are
> any knowledgable people out there that can explain the
> above subject to me in more detail. I would like to
try
> it, but am sceptical there isn't enough research
> information out there to back up trying to go into a state
> of ketosis.

So if one or two or even twenty people here say, hey, it
works for me, you'll go ahead and starve your body of
carbohydrates until it burns protein? Not trying to flame
you, just checking your logic. Something about us humans
seems to trust an anecdote ("my grandmother smoked until she
was 90") rather than research across a population. I did
some research on ketosis on the net a while back and found a
lot of info out there. It does seem to take away a lot of
weight for people with serious obesity. I think there's too
much potential for damage. While the rest of the body can
switch to ketosis for energy, the brain needs glucose. There
are people who think that ketosis is actually a natural
state, and there's even a scientist, Richard L. Veech, at
the NIH who is trying to prove this, that we as prehistoric
humans regularly starved, and the agricultural revolution
has locked us in an "unnatural" state. He believes that the
brain works more efficiently on ketones.

Here's Veech's position: http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/intramura-
l/web_lmbb/LMBB%20PDF_Folder/VeechIUBMBLif e2001_241.pdf

Ketosis may cause heart problems:ttp://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/about/news/release/2000/7-
diet.htm

And here's a big page o' links that argue against:
http://www.thedietchannel.com/weight.htm#Fad%20Diets

>I exercise quite regulary and am a undergo regular weight
>training. Is this lifestyle choice a bad one cause of low
>Carbohydrate levels? Any advice from anyone, or especially
>people who are quite sports oreintated, please post
>feedback. I'm a
healthy
> 24 year old with no family history of heart problems
> under 55.

-So why fix it if it ain't broke?

John Claude

x-no-archive: yes

>While the rest of the body can switch to ketosis for
>energy, the brain needs glucose.

The brain can use ketones, too. And any additional glucose
requirements can be easily met by protein, which converts to
glucose, just less efficiently and completely than carbs.

There is no such thing in human nutrition as an essential
carbohydrate, just essential fats and proteins.

Some carbs can be part of a healthy diet, but they aren't
necessary.

Susan

"John Claude" <urajzed@NO*SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> John S <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hello Everyone, I was just curious to know if there are
> > any knowledgable people out
there
> > that can explain the above subject to me in more detail.
> > I would like to
> try
> > it, but am sceptical there isn't enough research
> > information out there
> > back up trying to go into a state of ketosis.
>
> So if one or two or even twenty people here say, hey, it
> works for me, you'll go ahead and starve your body of
> carbohydrates until it burns protein?

Burns *protein*?

You are full of ****, sonny.

Ketones are fat fragments: free fatty acids are cut into two-
and four-carbon fragments called ketones or ketone bodies.

Ketosis is nothing to do with 'burning protein'.

Keep away from Usenet until you know what you're talking
about: until that time, you're a danger.

> Not trying to flame you, just checking your logic.

No: you aren't able to, because you don't know what you're
talking about. Go away.

Who gives a **** what you think? You've already proved that
you don't know what you're talking about. Go away.

> While the rest of the body can switch to ketosis for
> energy, the brain needs glucose. There are people
who
> think that ketosis is actually a natural state, and
> there's even a scientist, Richard L. Veech, at the NIH who
> is trying to prove this, that
we
> as prehistoric humans regularly starved, and the
> agricultural revolution
has
> locked us in an "unnatural" state. He believes that the
> brain works more efficiently on ketones.
>
> Here's Veech's position:

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/intramural/web_lmbb/LMBB%20PDF_Fol-
der/VeechIUBMBLif
> e2001_241.pdf
>
> Ketosis may cause heart problems:p://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/about/news/release/2000/7-
> diet.htm
>
> And here's a big page o' links that argue against:
> http://www.thedietchannel.com/weight.htm#Fad%20Diets
>
> >I exercise quite regulary and am a undergo regular weight
> >training. Is this lifestyle choice a bad one cause of low
> >Carbohydrate levels? Any advice from anyone, or
> >especially people who are quite sports oreintated, please
> >post feedback. I'm a
> healthy
> > 24 year old with no family history of heart problems
> > under 55.
>
> -So why fix it if it ain't broke?

You don't know what you're talking about. Go away.
You're a danger.

M.

"Susan " <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> >While the rest of the body can switch to ketosis for
> >energy, the brain needs glucose.
>
> The brain can use ketones, too. And any additional glucose
> requirements
can be
> easily met by protein, which converts to glucose, just
> less efficiently
and
> completely than carbs.
>
> There is no such thing in human nutrition as an essential
> carbohydrate,
just
> essential fats and proteins.
>
> Some carbs can be part of a healthy diet, but they aren't
> necessary.
>
> Susan

Thanks for the input John s

"Mark D." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "John Claude" <urajzed@NO*SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > John S <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hello Everyone, I was just curious to know if there
> > > are any knowledgable people out
> there
> > > that can explain the above subject to me in more
> > > detail. I would like
> > try
> > > it, but am sceptical there isn't enough research
> > > information out there
> > > back up trying to go into a state of ketosis.
> >
> > So if one or two or even twenty people here say, hey, it
> > works for me, you'll go ahead and starve your body of
> > carbohydrates until it burns protein?
>
> Burns *protein*?
>
> You are full of ****, sonny.
>
> Ketones are fat fragments: free fatty acids are cut
> into two- and four-carbon fragments called ketones or
> ketone bodies.
>
> Ketosis is nothing to do with 'burning protein'.
>
> Keep away from Usenet until you know what you're talking
> about: until that time, you're a danger.
>
> > Not trying to flame you, just checking your logic.
>
> No: you aren't able to, because you don't know what you're
> talking about.
Go
> away.
>
> > Something about us humans seems to trust an anecdote
> > ("my grandmother smoked until
> she
> > was 90") rather than research across a population. I did
> > some research
on
> > ketosis on the net a while back and found a lot of info
> > out there. It
> does
> > seem to take away a lot of weight for people with
> > serious obesity. I
> think
> > there's too much potential for damage.
>
> Who gives a **** what you think? You've already proved
> that you don't know what you're talking about. Go away.
>
> > While the rest of the body can switch to ketosis for
> > energy, the brain needs glucose. There are people
> who
> > think that ketosis is actually a natural state, and
> > there's even a scientist, Richard L. Veech, at the NIH
> > who is trying to prove this,
that
> we
> > as prehistoric humans regularly starved, and the
> > agricultural revolution
> has
> > locked us in an "unnatural" state. He believes that the
> > brain works
more
> > efficiently on ketones.
> >
> > Here's Veech's position:

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/intramural/web_lmbb/LMBB%20PDF_Fol-
der/VeechIUBMBLif
> > e2001_241.pdf
> >
> > Ketosis may cause heart problems://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/about/news/release/2000/7-
> > diet.htm
> >
> > And here's a big page o' links that argue against:
> > http://www.thedietchannel.com/weight.htm#Fad%20Diets
> >
> > >I exercise quite regulary and am a undergo regular
> > >weight training. Is this lifestyle choice a bad
one
> > > cause of low Carbohydrate levels? Any advice from
> > > anyone, or
especially
> > > people who are quite sports oreintated, please post
> > > feedback. I'm a
> > healthy
> > > 24 year old with no family history of heart problems
> > > under 55.
> >
> > -So why fix it if it ain't broke?
> >

> You don't know what you're talking about. Go away. You're
> a danger.
>
> M.

Cheers Mark, good to see someone has some knowledge out
there. John S

He is a troll of the lousiest order. Ignore the flame.

Big deal so you had a slip of the tongue.

"John S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Mark D." <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:xet2c.2445$sq2.1996@newsfe2-
> gui.server.ntli.net...
> > "John Claude" <urajzed@NO*SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in
> > message news:[email protected]...
> > > John S <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > there
like
> > > try
there

> > > So if one or two or even twenty people here say, hey,
> > > it works for me, you'll go ahead and starve your body
> > > of carbohydrates until it burns protein?
> >
> > Burns *protein*?
> >
> > You are full of ****, sonny.
> >
> > Ketones are fat fragments: free fatty acids are cut into
> > two- and four-carbon fragments called ketones or ketone
> > bodies.
> >
> > Ketosis is nothing to do with 'burning protein'.
> >
> > Keep away from Usenet until you know what you're talking
> > about: until
that
> > time, you're a danger.
> >
> > > Not trying to flame you, just checking your logic.
> >
> > No: you aren't able to, because you don't know what
> > you're talking
about.
> Go
> > away.
> >
> > > Something about us humans seems to trust an anecdote
> > > ("my grandmother smoked
until
> > she
> > > was 90") rather than research across a population. I
> > > did some
research
> on
> > > ketosis on the net a while back and found a lot of
> > > info out there. It
> > does
> > > seem to take away a lot of weight for people with
> > > serious obesity. I
> > think
> > > there's too much potential for damage.
> >
> > Who gives a **** what you think? You've already proved
> > that you don't
know
> > what you're talking about. Go away.
> >
> > > While the rest of the body can switch to ketosis for
> > > energy, the brain needs glucose. There are
people
> > who
> > > think that ketosis is actually a natural state, and
> > > there's even a scientist, Richard L. Veech, at the NIH
> > > who is trying to prove this,
> that
> > we
> > > as prehistoric humans regularly starved, and the
> > > agricultural
revolution
> > has
> > > locked us in an "unnatural" state. He believes that
> > > the brain works
> more
> > > efficiently on ketones.
> > >
> > > Here's Veech's position:

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/intramural/web_lmbb/LMBB%20PDF_Fol-
der/VeechIUBMBLif
> > > e2001_241.pdf
> > >
> > > Ketosis may cause heart problems:www.cincinnatichildrens.org/about/news/release/2000/7-
> > > diet.htm
> > >
> > > And here's a big page o' links that argue against:
> > > http://www.thedietchannel.com/weight.htm#Fad%20Diets

> one
> especially
> > > healthy
> > >
> > > -So why fix it if it ain't broke?
> > >

> > You don't know what you're talking about. Go away.
> > You're a danger.
> >
> > M.
> >

> Cheers Mark, good to see someone has some knowledge out
> there. John S

"Pizza Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> He is a troll of the lousiest order.

Sure: that's why *I'm* posting corrective factual
information and *you're* posting half-understood hearsay
******** and aggressive, self-deluding fantasy.

Take your medication, baby.

M.

> Ignore the flame.
>
> Big deal so you had a slip of the tongue.
>

> "John S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Mark D." <[email protected]> wrote in
> > message news:xet2c.2445$sq2.1996@newsfe2-
> > gui.server.ntli.net...
> > > "John Claude" <urajzed@NO*SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in
> > > message news:[email protected]...
out
> > > there
> like
> there

me,

> > > Burns *protein*?
> > >
> > > You are full of ****, sonny.
> > >
> > > Ketones are fat fragments: free fatty acids are cut
> > > into two- and four-carbon fragments called ketones or
> > > ketone bodies.
> > >
> > > Ketosis is nothing to do with 'burning protein'.
> > >
> > > Keep away from Usenet until you know what you're
> > > talking about: until
> that
> > > time, you're a danger.

> > > No: you aren't able to, because you don't know what
> > > you're talking
> about.
> > Go
> > > away.

> until
> > > she
> research
> > on
It
> > > does
> > > think
> > >
> > > Who gives a **** what you think? You've already proved
> > > that you don't
> know
> > > what you're talking about. Go away.

> people
> > > who
> > that
> > > we
> revolution
> > > has
> > more

http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/intramural/web_lmbb/LMBB%20PDF_Fol-
der/VeechIUBMBLif

ttp://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/about/news/release/2000/7-
diet.htm

bad
> > one
> > especially

> > > You don't know what you're talking about. Go away.
> > > You're a danger.
> > >
> > > M.
> > >

> > Cheers Mark, good to see someone has some knowledge out
> > there. John S

Pizza Girl <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> He is a troll of the lousiest order. Ignore the flame.

I was beginning to wonder if this was a default attitude on
this NG for dealing with someone who says something
incorrect. I just associated, as I was writing the sentence,
ketosis with starvation and protein catabolism, as the
medical establishment has for years. But I can change,
really I can.

I don't claim to be an authority, but let's listen to
someone who may be:
http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/242/77461

"Maria C. Linder is on the faculty at California State
University Fullerton, California in the Department of
Chemistry and Biochemistry. All quotes are from her
textbook; "Nutritional Biochemistry and Metabolism: with
clinical applications", Maria C. Linder. pages 87-109.
Chapter Eight: Nutrition and Metabolism of Protein."

"Early in fasting glycogen reserves are depleted, and
protein (mainly from muscle) becomes the major source of
carbon for glucose production. Glucose is required in
substantial amounts by blood cells and the central nervous
system on a daily basis. There is also an initiation of
ketone body production by the liver to provide a more water
soluble form of fat-derived fuel."

"DIETARY PROTEIN LARGELY OR FULLY SUBSTITUTES FOR MUSCLE
PROTEIN IN GLUCONEOGENESIS."

""The body adapts to starvation and reduces the need for protein-
dependent gluconeogenesis by boosting its production of
ketones, a fuel ALTERNATIVE to glucose for MOST CELLS.

Circulating ketones reach maximum levels after about ten
days of fasting and now substitute for much of the glucose
requirement of the central nervous system. This drastically
reduces the need for catabolism of muscle protein."

"With reduced protein catabolism, urinary nitrogen
excretion also declines. And there is a shift from the
excretion of urea to a predominance of ammonia loss. This
shift toward ammonia versus urea parallels the increased
production and excretion of keto acids, and serves to
MAINTAIN ACID / BASE BALANCE."

"The overall point is that muscle is a valuable reserve of
carbons that can be used for glucose production when needed.
However the body prevents excessive losses of muscle protein
over long periods of fasting by adapting the central nervous
system to utilization of ketone bodies for fuel."

What I take from this is that the body may simultaneously
turn to muscle protein and dietary protein while it is
adjusting to ketosis. Once ketosis is in full swing, then
the need for protein catabolism decreases. Is it less than
when the body was a glucose machine (since there is always a
baseline of protein catabolisis going on at any time- right
Mark? Some amino acids are known as ketogenic*, right Mark?
)? I don't know. Does anyone have the answer for that? It
could be different for each person. Is this a good idea for
bodybuilders? I don't know. I think maybe- but then I'm not
sure, because I haven't taken the time to know everything-
that some bodybuilders, some athletes, some of the greatest
sports performers ever have been able to do what they do
without ketosis. Maybe our good troll knows, and maybe he'd
like to teach us something, or would he rather spew more
profanity and poison about the group?

*"Carbon skeletons of ketogenic amino acids can be
catabolized for energy in Krebs Cycle, or converted to
ketone bodies or fatty acids." http://216.239.57.104/search-
?q=cache:mY7HOp5_icIJ:www.rpi.edu/dept/bcbp/molb iochem/MBWeb/mb2/part1/23-
aacarb.ppt+ketogenic+amino+acids&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

I will admit my error on the brain's use of glucose: it will
use ketones, and from what I've read, the brain and many
other organs will prefer to use ketones for fuel when they
are available. This may support the argument that ketosis is
"normal," but maybe it is just another way to control the
level of ketones in the body - i.e. "get rid of these
first." I don't know. Just thought I'd throw it out there
for discussion. Am I allowed to discuss things here, with
the possibility of making an error, or do I have to know a
lot of things and insult people that don't?

The gist of my original post was only this: yes, be
skeptical. Yeah, I'm a danger.

JC

"John Claude" <urajzed@NO*SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Pizza Girl <[email protected]> wrote in message news:c59a-
> [email protected]...
> > He is a troll of the lousiest order. Ignore the flame.
>
> I was beginning to wonder if this was a default attitude
> on this NG for dealing with someone who says something
> incorrect. I just associated, as
> was writing the sentence, ketosis with starvation and
> protein catabolism, as the medical establishment has for
> years. But I can change, really I
can.

> I don't claim to be an authority, but let's listen to
> someone who may be:
> http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/242/77461
>
> "Maria C. Linder is on the faculty at California State
> University Fullerton, California in the Department of
> Chemistry and Biochemistry. All quotes are from her
> textbook; "Nutritional Biochemistry and Metabolism:
with
> clinical applications", Maria C. Linder. pages 87-109.
> Chapter Eight: Nutrition and Metabolism of Protein."
>
> "Early in fasting glycogen reserves are depleted, and
> protein (mainly from muscle) becomes the major source of
> carbon for glucose production. Glucose is required in
> substantial amounts by blood cells and the central nervous
> system on a daily basis. There is also an initiation of
> ketone body production by the liver to provide a more
> water soluble form of
fat-derived
> [...]
http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:mY7HOp5_icIJ:www.rpi.e-
du/dept/bcbp/molb
> iochem/MBWeb/mb2/part1/23-
> aacarb.ppt+ketogenic+amino+acids&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
>
> I will admit my error on the brain's use of glucose: it
> will use ketones, and from what I've read, the brain and
> many other organs will prefer to
use
> ketones for fuel when they are available. This may
> support the argument that ketosis is "normal," but maybe
> it is just another way to control the level of ketones
> in the body - i.e. "get rid of these first." I don't
> know. Just thought I'd throw it out there for
> discussion. Am I allowed
> discuss things here, with the possibility of making an
> error, or do I have to know a lot of things and insult
> people that don't?
>
> The gist of my original post was only this: yes, be

Thanks JC, You did well to correct some parts of your
earlier mistake. Could it be the efficiency of the body to
utilise ketones the result of why some people tend to stay
leaner then others (once genetics and muscle mass is ruled
out). Just a topic of discussion. John S