Kettlebell Work Out Pre/Post 50km Ride

pdempz

May 7, 2014
Hi there,

I am not sure if this is in the right place or not, but I said I would try it!

I wanted to incorporate some kettle bell classes into my training to improve core/back and general leg power.

However, the problem arises that the classes are in the evening, when I do my cycling.

IN saying this, I could incorporate both in the evening during week, 45min Kettle bells, and 50-60km cycle, but which would you do first.

I had though it might be more beneficial to do the kettle bells first, then cycle, but wanted to get some other opinions!

Look forward to hearing from ye,

Regards,

P

You'll probably be better off posting this to the "Training" forum. Anyway...

Studies have shown that strength work is unlikely to help your cycling as the peak power/torque required is much less than the forces generated while lifting. If you want to get better at cycling, spend more time on the saddle.

Having said that, I invest a couple of days/week doing strength/balance work as it benefits the other 95% of my life.

Dave

Dave,

Team Sky's road team seem to have taken a leaf out of the old Aussie track squad program by doing things like single leg squats. I could see how they'd be beneficial for the sprinters but maybe they work really good for the road lads too...

Quote: Team Sky's road team seem to have taken a leaf out of the old Aussie track squad program by doing things like single leg squats. I could see how they'd be beneficial for the sprinters but maybe they work really good for the road lads too...
The first thing I think of when I hear about what someone else is doing is "are they successful because of or in spite of what they're doing?"

Don't you think that Team Sky's performance director thought of that one? ;) Maybe his swimming background means he just likes beating his lads into a pulp with many hard hours on the bike and then selective gym work just for the hell of it. Sadistic b'stard! ;)

Originally Posted by swampy1970

Don't you think that Team Sky's performance director thought of that one? ;)
I've no idea. There's dogma everywhere and we don't know why they're doing that stuff. There's a good chance that it's not directly related to cycling performance.

Dogma - that's the bike they ride, not the training program they follow... The Aussie track coach apparently found a correlation between one legged squat and sprint speed.

Originally Posted by swampy1970

Dogma - that's the bike they ride, not the training program they follow...

The Aussie track coach apparently found a correlation between one legged squat and sprint speed.
Uh huh...