Kettler & European Urban-Touring Bikes

djmadnan

Sep 15, 2004
Hey All...
Having had my last two bikes destroyed/stolen, I came to looking at purchasing something new. I'm a city rider - as most of us admittedly are. I use transit and bike, and I am looking forward to doing some longer rides to get to out-of-the way places in the countryside. I started looking at the usual US hybrids in the bike shops, but a trip to Japan shocked me and shook me out of my mindset. Virtually all of the bikes you see (and there are tons) are decked out urban-machines, with fenders, chainguards, horns, even lights. I even bike in a suit sometimes, and yes, the grease on the chain is very annoying.

So I started looking once I got back and noticed you can't buy any of the bikes they sell over there - not even Fuji imports any of their urban or touring bikes. After a high and low search I found KETTLER does sell in the US, albeit hard to come by. They seem like really top quality stuff, with everything I am looking for. (www.kettler.de) The only thing is I can't seem to find weights (I know these bikes are heavy, but I really would like something fairly light);

Does anyone on this board have any experience with Kettler or other European or east asian touring/city/trekking bikes?

I was looking at the Big Jumper, the Elegance and the City Hopper. I have to buy off the net, so I really would like some opinion at least before I take a plunge.

Thanks
DJmadnan