Kettley Thing - cost savings - heads up - you know you want to!! (Judith?!!?)

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by SteveO, Nov 27, 2005.

  1. SteveO

    SteveO Guest

    Howdy y'all

    Thanks to a certain person who's crubeens are oft heard around these
    parts but who shall remain nameless, there's a [resurgence?] of
    interest in the MSR "Kettley Thing" (tm)(sic.)(c).

    That most erstwhile of online institutions for the purveyance of
    mutually beneficial commercial transactions, eBay to you and I(!),
    currently has the Kettley Thing listed at a buying price of £9.61
    (with a postage of £7.00 "USPS Global Priority Mail (to United
    Kingdom)".

    Wow!! Rip-off!!

    I'd go with the UK online price of £35.00 (with discount) if I was
    you!!!

    If you're feeling totally reckless and want to waste your hard-earned
    GBPs you could try :

    http://tinyurl.com/d87fq

    But its a gamble I tell ye!!

    Me, I'm wondering if The Outfittters do The Mugly Thing that pw^H^H
    oops sorry, has mentioned ;-)

    muahahahaaaa! closet kit monster, moi? neva !!

    PS adore, nay absolutely _love_ the wardrobe ;-)
    ....oh, and you're forgiven for ignoring my e-mails! ;-)

    Tags:

  2. Geoff Berrow

    Geoff Berrow Guest

    contained the following:

    >That most erstwhile of online institutions for the purveyance of
    >mutually beneficial commercial transactions, eBay to you and I(!),
    >currently has the Kettley Thing listed at a buying price of £9.61
    >(with a postage of £7.00 "USPS Global Priority Mail (to United
    >Kingdom)".
    >
    >Wow!! Rip-off!!
    >
    >I'd go with the UK online price of £35.00 (with discount) if I was
    >you!!!

    Worries about Ebay notwithstanding, it'd have to be a pretty hefty
    discount to bring it down to £16.61

    --
    Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.

  3. Geoff Berrow

    Geoff Berrow Guest

    Berrow contained the following:

    >>I'd go with the UK online price of £35.00 (with discount) if I was
    >>you!!!

    >Worries about Ebay notwithstanding, it'd have to be a pretty hefty
    >discount to bring it down to £16.61

    Ah...just noticed its a bid thing not a buy it now thing.

    --
    Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.
    My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
    Simple RFDs http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/

  4. SteveO

    SteveO Guest

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:12:11 +0000, Geoff Berrow
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>I'd go with the UK online price of £35.00 (with discount) if I was
    >>you!!!

    >Worries about Ebay notwithstanding, it'd have to be a pretty hefty
    >discount to bring it down to £16.61

    The UK price I quoted is the cost here *after* discount has already
    been applied by that vendor.

    IMHO and IME there's no need to be more or less concerned about eBay
    than you would be about buying through any other online route.

  5. SteveO

    SteveO Guest

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:15:56 +0000, Geoff Berrow
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>Worries about Ebay notwithstanding, it'd have to be a pretty hefty
    >>discount to bring it down to £16.61

    >Ah...just noticed its a bid thing not a buy it now thing.

    Indeed it is (if only life were simple, eh? ;-) -BUT- how many bids
    would have to be made to take that price up to anything close to the
    cost if bought from the UK? That's the whole point.

    Also, with a little bit of a rummage you can find Kettley Things on
    "Buy Now" placements.

  6. On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 12:46:19 +0000, SteveO wrote:

    >On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:15:56 +0000, Geoff Berrow
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>>Worries about Ebay notwithstanding, it'd have to be a pretty hefty
    >>>discount to bring it down to £16.61

    >>Ah...just noticed its a bid thing not a buy it now thing.

    >Indeed it is (if only life were simple, eh? ;-) -BUT- how many bids
    >would have to be made to take that price up to anything close to the
    >cost if bought from the UK? That's the whole point.

    And what price do they have to reach for customs duty to become
    payable?

    --
    Oppose ID cards and the database state - sign the pledge at
    http://www.pledgebank.com/refuse

  7. In article <[email protected]>, Simon Caldwell
    <[email protected]> writes
    >On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 12:46:19 +0000, SteveO wrote:

    >>>Ah...just noticed its a bid thing not a buy it now thing.

    >>Indeed it is (if only life were simple, eh? ;-) -BUT- how many bids
    >>would have to be made to take that price up to anything close to the
    >>cost if bought from the UK? That's the whole point.

    >And what price do they have to reach for customs duty to become
    >payable?

    The threshold is £18 for Import VAT. The duty rate depends on the
    category of the article in question and duty is only charged if it would
    be more than £7.

    See http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/ in the individuals section follow the
    Internet Shopping link - note how friendly the resulting URL is :(

    In reality, with small imports, the Post Office usually does the
    collection (unless it is couriered to you in the UK when the courier
    will collect) and they have a few flat rate charges to cover duty, VAT
    and their handling charges. The one time I was charged it was over £20
    on an under £80 purchase :-(

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  8. On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:21:57 +0000, Dominic Sexton
    <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    >The one time I was charged it was over £20
    >on an under £80 purchase :-(

    The last time I was charged it was about £30 on something I didn't
    even pay for - it was a gift, but customs etc is charged based on the
    value given on the customs declaration rather than what you actually
    paid for it
    ..
    --
    Oppose ID cards and the database state - sign the pledge at
    http://www.pledgebank.com/refuse

  9. Judith

    Judith Guest

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 00:16:27 +0000, SteveO wrote:

    >Howdy y'all

    Hallo.

    As I am named in the subject line, I felt I should reply. I shall be
    resisting the temptation, TVM.

    (I bought a titanium pan last week, so no kettley thing for me!)

    Judith

  10. SteveO

    SteveO Guest

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:05:40 +0000, Judith
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >As I am named in the subject line, I felt I should reply. I shall be
    >resisting the temptation, TVM.

    no problemo

    >(I bought a titanium pan last week, so no kettley thing for me!)

    Ah, you'll be going for a Muggly Thing then? ;-)

  11. Andy Howell

    Andy Howell Guest

    On 28/11/05 20:05, in article [email protected],
    "Judith" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > (I bought a titanium pan last week, so no kettley thing for me!)

    Just as good I reckon. I shall be walking the Challenge with one MSR 1 litre
    pot (with lid) and a spork thingy - that's all.

    --
    Andy Howell, Birmingham, UK. To mail simply put back the dots ...

    Must Be Over There ...
    http://www.ecotrend.org.uk/trek

  12. In article <BFB3CA3A.47E61%[email protected]>, Andy
    Howell <[email protected]?.invalid> writes
    >On 28/11/05 20:05, in article [email protected],
    >"Judith" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> (I bought a titanium pan last week, so no kettley thing for me!)

    >Just as good I reckon. I shall be walking the Challenge with one MSR 1 litre
    >pot (with lid) and a spork thingy - that's all.

    Naked Rambler MkII? ;-)

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  13. mick

    mick Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:29:30 +0000, Andy Howell burbled:

    > On 28/11/05 20:05, in article [email protected],
    > "Judith" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> (I bought a titanium pan last week, so no kettley thing for me!)

    > Just as good I reckon. I shall be walking the Challenge with one MSR 1
    > litre pot (with lid) and a spork thingy - that's all.

    Go on... use a pepsi-can or cat-can stove with it! I'm just about to try
    one that is no more than a tuna can with holes in it. It's just the right
    diameter to accept my pan on top, the rings pressed into the bottom of
    the pan are just the right fit for the tuna can diameter. All I need with
    that is a windshield made from tinfoil, a bottle of meths & a lighter!

    --
    Mick
    (no M$ software on here... :) )

  14. Judith

    Judith Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:29:30 GMT, Andy Howell
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> (I bought a titanium pan last week, so no kettley thing for me!)

    >Just as good I reckon. I shall be walking the Challenge with one MSR 1 litre
    >pot (with lid) and a spork thingy - that's all.

    I've still not decided whether to camp or B&B on the Challenge.
    However, a titanium pan is bound to come in handy, whatever I decide!

    Judith

  15. Peewiglet

    Peewiglet Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:29:30 GMT, Andy Howell
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    [...]
    >Just as good I reckon. I shall be walking the Challenge with one MSR 1 litre
    >pot (with lid) and a spork thingy - that's all.

    Cool! You won't be needing a sack then. When it arrives, please just
    post it over to me :)

    Wet fishes,
    --
    ,,
    (**)PeeWiglet~~

  16. Rudi Winter

    Rudi Winter Guest

    mick <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Go on... use a pepsi-can or cat-can stove with it! I'm just about to try
    > one that is no more than a tuna can with holes in it. It's just the right
    > diameter to accept my pan on top, the rings pressed into the bottom of
    > the pan are just the right fit for the tuna can diameter. All I need with
    > that is a windshield made from tinfoil, a bottle of meths & a lighter!

    You could even have the tuna for dinner and use the oil as fuel...
    --
    Rudi Winter, Aberystwyth, Wales

  17. Rudi Winter

    Rudi Winter Guest

    Judith <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I've still not decided whether to camp or B&B on the Challenge.
    > However, a titanium pan is bound to come in handy, whatever I decide!

    But make sure you do decide. I went for a week this summer (south
    Wales) and couldn't make my mind up, so ended up carrying a tent *and*
    spare clothes to be civilisation compatible... Next time it'll be
    one or the other that's for sure.
    --
    Rudi Winter, Aberystwyth, Wales

  18. mick

    mick Guest

    On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 14:12:47 +0000, Rudi Winter burbled:

    > mick <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Go on... use a pepsi-can or cat-can stove with it! I'm just about to try
    >> one that is no more than a tuna can with holes in it. It's just the
    >> right diameter to accept my pan on top, the rings pressed into the
    >> bottom of the pan are just the right fit for the tuna can diameter. All
    >> I need with that is a windshield made from tinfoil, a bottle of meths &
    >> a lighter!

    > You could even have the tuna for dinner and use the oil as fuel...

    now don't go giving me ideas...

    --
    Mick
    (no M$ software on here... :) )

  19. SteveO

    SteveO Guest

    On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 00:45:41 +0000, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 21:29:30 GMT, Andy Howell
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >[...]
    >>Just as good I reckon. I shall be walking the Challenge with one MSR 1 litre
    >>pot (with lid) and a spork thingy - that's all.

    >Cool! You won't be needing a sack then. When it arrives, please just
    >post it over to me :)

    Ahem! I beleive it was I who _first_ suggested that he'd not like the
    'sac at all and I'd take on the burden of looking after it, arter all
    it'll be a long way from home and to find itself unloved and unwanted
    would be _so_ traumatic for it. It'll need a bit o' tlc.

  20. Judith

    Judith Guest

    On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 14:13:18 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Rudi
    Winter) wrote:

    >> I've still not decided whether to camp or B&B on the Challenge.
    >> However, a titanium pan is bound to come in handy, whatever I decide!

    >But make sure you do decide. I went for a week this summer (south
    >Wales) and couldn't make my mind up, so ended up carrying a tent *and*
    >spare clothes to be civilisation compatible... Next time it'll be
    >one or the other that's for sure.

    Yes, that sounds like good advice. Having had some very handy route
    advice from a confirmed B&B-er this week, I am now happy that I can do
    the walk without having to carry all my backpacking/camping gear or
    missing out beautiful scenery.

    However, I may take my new (very light) sleeping bag and bivi bag for
    one or two nights minimalist camping. I intend to start carrying the
    sleeping bag and bivi on day walks to get a feeling for whether this
    is a daft/stupid idea or not.

    Judith