Kevlar 26" Commuter Tire?

Lionfish

Mar 4, 2007
I'm turning a Trek 980 into a backup commuter. My problem is that (almost) all 26" street tires are wire which is an absolute NIGHTMARE to change a flat. Ideas on tires please? Thanks.

I'm using the Ritchey Tom Slick Kevlar 26"x1.4" with great results (also available in 1.0").

Others:
Continental Grand Prix 26"x1"
Michelin XC 26"x1.4"
Panaracer Pana Pasela Tourguard 26"x1.25"
Panaracer Pana T-Serv 26"x1.75"

Probably more......

IRC metros come in kevlar but I can't remember why I thought I needed a 2" slick! very thick and heavy.

I think your wheelset is causing your problem since I've had 26's I could change by hand without tire levers, although kevlar beads definitely ought to be easier to change.

garage sale GT said:
IRC metros come in kevlar but I can't remember why I thought I needed a 2" slick! very thick and heavy.

I think your wheelset is causing your problem since I've had 26's I could change by hand without tire levers, although kevlar beads definitely ought to be easier to change.
How would my wheelset be the problem? I know I break tire levers every time I change a flat & struggle like mad to get them on/off. BTW, I'm an avid powerlifter so it's not a strength issue. (at least I hope not)

Lionfish said:
How would my wheelset be the problem? I know I break tire levers every time I change a flat & struggle like mad to get them on/off. BTW, I'm an avid powerlifter so it's not a strength issue. (at least I hope not)
All I am saying is that certain rims seem designed with a kevlar bead in mind and others are not. The ones for kevlar are probably more upmarket. Some rims like speeddiscs or rhynolites cause me to break plastic levers, but with others I can change a tire with just my fingers.

I got mixed up on the IRC's. The 2" Metro has a wire bead.

I may need to look into that garage sale GT, This wheelset is about 15 years old by now. Thanks!

I also break a few tire levers getting wire-beaded tires off rims, Its weird I never seemed to do this with my first Scott mountain bikes but my Giant, (can't recall the make of rims), and my wife's Trek mountain bike with the Alex rims in particular are a nightmare. These are by no means super lite rims on these two bikes, just middle of the road specced bikes.

I've just got used to it, and thank god I don't have many flats, a broken lever and bruised and cut knuckles I can live with every few months. Mind you if you find a good kev tire for 26 wheels that are good commuters let us know.

I've never managed to change a 26 tire by hand you must have a special technique ol' "Irongrip" Garage Sale!

Jonahhobbes said:
I've never managed to change a 26 tire by hand you must have a special technique ol' "Irongrip" Garage Sale!
I'm telling you, certain rims just are that way, whatever the reason. I found it rather effortless.

garage sale GT said:
I'm telling you, certain rims just are that way, whatever the reason. I found it rather effortless.
I believe you!!!

I would love rims like that :(

personal anecdote about rim differences....

several years ago, i picked up a set of deore disc/sun ds-2 rims; not expecting any problem, i started right in putting my 'old' wire-bead tires on them. OH...MY...GAWD!! an HOUR later, i looked at one tire mounted, one finger bleeding (split open from the pressure i was putting on it), and i was telling myself, "no f***ing way".

DS-2's are made specifically for kevlar beads, as, i suspect, most sun rims are; i also have a set of factory specialized rims that are a little tough to mount up even a kevlar bead (although i did do it without a tool).

also had a deore disc/mavic 223 set that mounted up anything you had, no prob. (even a set of -- gasp! -- k-mart specials!)

fwiw, wallyworld now sells kevlar bead tires -- still heavier than elephant sh**, but they mount up well -- have done a couple for customers....

The metal levers turned out to be worse than breaking plastic ones! I apparently wore through the sidewall cords which wrap around the wire bead! I noticed a bulge in my sidewall and when I took the tire off the sidewall had separated from the bead wire!!!:eek: Serendipitously, I had decided to see if my too-fat 2" IRC Metro slicks roll easier at lower PSI; otherwise I may have blown out at high speed. I guess I got some cheapie levers which weren't smoothed after being stamped to shape. Anyway, if you have to use this much force on your tire, you may damage it! Maybe I'll post a pic sooner or later.