kevlar/anti-puncture racer tires - commuter cyclist feeling exasperated

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Greg Lorriman, Mar 10, 2003.

  1. Hi Folks,

    My old kevlar tires were so knackered I've had to replace them. The replacement kevlar tires have
    punctured five times in the last 6 months despite being brand spanking, whereas my previous tires
    didn't puncture once in two years of use and yet being in a very sorry condition in the final few
    months before replacement. The new tires are thinner and "racier" than the previous tires, but I
    don't care about that; I just want to avoid punctures.

    Does anyone have a clue as to what tires I might previously have had?

    [and yes: tire pressure is just fine]

    Greg

    --

    Great freeware tools http://www.lorriman.com

    Tags:

  2. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Greg Lorriman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > My old kevlar tires were so knackered I've had to replace them. The replacement kevlar tires have
    > punctured five times in the last 6 months despite being brand spanking, whereas my previous tires
    > didn't puncture
    once
    > in two years of use and yet being in a very sorry condition in the final
    few
    > months before replacement. The new tires are thinner and "racier" than the previous tires, but I
    > don't care about that; I just want to avoid
    punctures.

    > Does anyone have a clue as to what tires I might previously have had?
    >
    > [and yes: tire pressure is just fine]

    Are you sure? My first experience with puncture proof tyres was a disaster -- punctures almost
    daily. Turns out they were all snake-bite which went away when I went from 23 to 25 mm tyres of the
    same brand.

    I simply couldn't pump the 23's up hard enough to support my 'heavy bones'
    :)

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Greg Lorriman wrote:
    > My old kevlar tires were so knackered I've had to replace them.
    >
    > Does anyone have a clue as to what tires I might previously have had?

    I think even the uk.rec.psychics need more clues than just the fact that they were "kevlar". State
    what size you want then people can make recommendations.

    --
    ~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt LAST DAY, deserves more than 120 quid ...Please!! :)

  4. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Greg Lorriman scribbled:

    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > My old kevlar tires were so knackered I've had to replace them. The replacement kevlar tires have
    > punctured five times in the last 6 months despite being brand spanking, whereas my previous tires
    > didn't puncture once in two years of use and yet being in a very sorry condition in the final few
    > months before replacement. The new tires are thinner and "racier" than the previous tires, but I
    > don't care about that; I just want to avoid punctures.
    >
    > Does anyone have a clue as to what tires I might previously have had?
    >
    > [and yes: tire pressure is just fine]
    >
    > Greg

    And the wheel size / tyre size / pressure / type / road / mtb / hybrid etc etc .. for those with
    less than perfect psychic abilities ..

    Otherwise I just use 26" x 2.1 or 2.3 Michelin Wild Grippers 'knobbies', and haven't had a puncture
    with them at all yet .. ;)

    --

    My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0

  5. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    news:[email protected]...

    > And the wheel size / tyre size / pressure / type / road / mtb / hybrid etc etc .. for those with
    > less than perfect psychic abilities ..
    >
    > Otherwise I just use 26" x 2.1 or 2.3 Michelin Wild Grippers 'knobbies', and haven't had a
    > puncture with them at all yet .. ;)

    And you've had them on for two years, two weeks , two days? ;-)

  6. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Simon Mason scribbled:

    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> And the wheel size / tyre size / pressure / type / road / mtb / hybrid etc etc .. for those with
    >> less than perfect psychic abilities ..
    >>
    >> Otherwise I just use 26" x 2.1 or 2.3 Michelin Wild Grippers 'knobbies', and haven't had a
    >> puncture with them at all yet .. ;)
    >>

    > And you've had them on for two years, two weeks , two days? ;-)

    Youmean you can't tell from what I posted .. darn .. ;)

    About four months, of roughly 10 miles a day average on surfaces ranging from canal towpaths,
    building sites, to road, woods and Sherwood Forest .. ;)

    --

    My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0

  7. > > Does anyone have a clue as to what tires I might previously have had?

    > > [and yes: tire pressure is just fine]
    >
    > Are you sure? My first experience with puncture proof tyres was a disaster -- punctures almost
    > daily. Turns out they were all snake-bite which went away when I went from 23 to 25 mm tyres of
    > the same brand.
    >
    > I simply couldn't pump the 23's up hard enough to support my 'heavy bones'
    > :)

    Hmmm, that's useful to know. But I don;t think that this is the cause since I have so far located
    and picked out the glass that has caused the puncture; although I cannot remember that that is true
    of every event. I'm also quite light.

    Thanks for replying, and politely ( in consideration of the other replies).

    Greg

  8. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Greg Lorriman scribbled:

    >>> Does anyone have a clue as to what tires I might previously have had?
    >>>
    >>> [and yes: tire pressure is just fine]
    >>
    >> Are you sure? My first experience with puncture proof tyres was a disaster -- punctures almost
    >> daily. Turns out they were all snake-bite which went away when I went from 23 to 25 mm tyres of
    >> the same brand.
    >>
    >> I simply couldn't pump the 23's up hard enough to support my 'heavy bones' :)
    >
    > Hmmm, that's useful to know. But I don;t think that this is the cause since I have so far located
    > and picked out the glass that has caused the puncture; although I cannot remember that that is
    > true of every event. I'm also quite light.
    >
    > Thanks for replying, and politely ( in consideration of the other replies).

    Heheheh, I fail to see where I was impolite in my reply .. You were a little less than explicit in
    describing the tyres sizes or uses to which they were put.

    --

    My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0