kevlar/anti-puncture racer tires - commuter cyclist feeling exasperated

Greg Lorriman

Guest
Hi Folks,

My old kevlar tires were so knackered I've had to replace them. The replacement kevlar tires have
punctured five times in the last 6 months despite being brand spanking, whereas my previous tires
didn't puncture once in two years of use and yet being in a very sorry condition in the final few
months before replacement. The new tires are thinner and "racier" than the previous tires, but I
don't care about that; I just want to avoid punctures.

Does anyone have a clue as to what tires I might previously have had?

[and yes: tire pressure is just fine]

Greg

--

Great freeware tools http://www.lorriman.com

"Greg Lorriman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi Folks,
>
> My old kevlar tires were so knackered I've had to replace them. The replacement kevlar tires have
> punctured five times in the last 6 months despite being brand spanking, whereas my previous tires
> didn't puncture
once
> in two years of use and yet being in a very sorry condition in the final
few
> months before replacement. The new tires are thinner and "racier" than the previous tires, but I
> don't care about that; I just want to avoid
punctures.

> Does anyone have a clue as to what tires I might previously have had?
>
> [and yes: tire pressure is just fine]

Are you sure? My first experience with puncture proof tyres was a disaster -- punctures almost
daily. Turns out they were all snake-bite which went away when I went from 23 to 25 mm tyres of the
same brand.

I simply couldn't pump the 23's up hard enough to support my 'heavy bones'
:)

Greg Lorriman wrote:
> My old kevlar tires were so knackered I've had to replace them.
>
> Does anyone have a clue as to what tires I might previously have had?

I think even the uk.rec.psychics need more clues than just the fact that they were "kevlar". State
what size you want then people can make recommendations.

--
~PB FA: 62cm Ti frame: http://tinyurl.com/6stt LAST DAY, deserves more than 120 quid ...Please!! :)

Greg Lorriman scribbled:

> Hi Folks,
>
> My old kevlar tires were so knackered I've had to replace them. The replacement kevlar tires have
> punctured five times in the last 6 months despite being brand spanking, whereas my previous tires
> didn't puncture once in two years of use and yet being in a very sorry condition in the final few
> months before replacement. The new tires are thinner and "racier" than the previous tires, but I
> don't care about that; I just want to avoid punctures.
>
> Does anyone have a clue as to what tires I might previously have had?
>
> [and yes: tire pressure is just fine]
>
> Greg

And the wheel size / tyre size / pressure / type / road / mtb / hybrid etc etc .. for those with
less than perfect psychic abilities ..

Otherwise I just use 26" x 2.1 or 2.3 Michelin Wild Grippers 'knobbies', and haven't had a puncture
with them at all yet .. ;)

--

My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0

news:[email protected]...

> And the wheel size / tyre size / pressure / type / road / mtb / hybrid etc etc .. for those with
> less than perfect psychic abilities ..
>
> Otherwise I just use 26" x 2.1 or 2.3 Michelin Wild Grippers 'knobbies', and haven't had a
> puncture with them at all yet .. ;)

And you've had them on for two years, two weeks , two days? ;-)

Simon Mason scribbled:

> news:[email protected]...
>
>> And the wheel size / tyre size / pressure / type / road / mtb / hybrid etc etc .. for those with
>> less than perfect psychic abilities ..
>>
>> Otherwise I just use 26" x 2.1 or 2.3 Michelin Wild Grippers 'knobbies', and haven't had a
>> puncture with them at all yet .. ;)
>>

> And you've had them on for two years, two weeks , two days? ;-)

Youmean you can't tell from what I posted .. darn .. ;)

About four months, of roughly 10 miles a day average on surfaces ranging from canal towpaths,
building sites, to road, woods and Sherwood Forest .. ;)

--

My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0

> > Does anyone have a clue as to what tires I might previously have had?
> >
> > [and yes: tire pressure is just fine]
>
> Are you sure? My first experience with puncture proof tyres was a disaster -- punctures almost
> daily. Turns out they were all snake-bite which went away when I went from 23 to 25 mm tyres of
> the same brand.
>
> I simply couldn't pump the 23's up hard enough to support my 'heavy bones'
> :)

Hmmm, that's useful to know. But I don;t think that this is the cause since I have so far located
and picked out the glass that has caused the puncture; although I cannot remember that that is true
of every event. I'm also quite light.

Thanks for replying, and politely ( in consideration of the other replies).

Greg

Greg Lorriman scribbled:

>>> Does anyone have a clue as to what tires I might previously have had?
>>>
>>> [and yes: tire pressure is just fine]
>>
>> Are you sure? My first experience with puncture proof tyres was a disaster -- punctures almost
>> daily. Turns out they were all snake-bite which went away when I went from 23 to 25 mm tyres of
>> the same brand.
>>
>> I simply couldn't pump the 23's up hard enough to support my 'heavy bones' :)
>
> Hmmm, that's useful to know. But I don;t think that this is the cause since I have so far located
> and picked out the glass that has caused the puncture; although I cannot remember that that is
> true of every event. I'm also quite light.
>
> Thanks for replying, and politely ( in consideration of the other replies).

Heheheh, I fail to see where I was impolite in my reply .. You were a little less than explicit in
describing the tyres sizes or uses to which they were put.

--

My house is FOR SALE ... http://tinyurl.com/69r0