Kevlar tyres - puncture proof?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Lach, Nov 14, 2004.

  1. Lach

    Lach New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2004
    Hi all
    Suffered my first puncture yesterday and vowed to get puncture proof tyres - do they really exist for road bikes? Are the Kevlar tyres effective at stopping punctures, and if so any recommendations?

    Tags:

  2. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Lach" <[email protected]
    > Hi all
    > Suffered my first puncture yesterday and vowed to get puncture proof
    > tyres - do they really exist for road bikes? Are the Kevlar tyres
    > effective at stopping punctures, and if so any recommendations?

    There's no such thing as "puncture proof". Different
    tyres and tubes will resist punctures and pinch flats
    to vaying degrees - usually at the expensive of ride
    comfort or speed.
    The kevlar in road tyres often refers to the "bead"
    which is the metal or kevlar bits that grip the rim,
    so to speak. Kevlar belted tyres have a puncture
    resistant belt under the tread.
    The only kevlar "belted" tyre I've used is an mtb
    slick. Vredestein S-Lick. They are damn close to
    a road tyre except wider. I went 12 months without
    a puncture on the first set. That's pretty good for me.
    I'd never do that on road tyres, but I ride more now.

    hippy

  3. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Dunno. I had some of them "Kevlar' red-striped Michelins which were reputed to be great but turned out to be the worst tyres ever! Changed to Michelin 'Carbons' (Yello stripes) and have found them to be fast, grippy (wet and dry) and 15,000k later not one puncture!!!

    Oh oh here comes the...
    http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/pf_1.gif

  4. hippy wrote:

    > There's no such thing as "puncture proof". Different
    > tyres and tubes will resist punctures and pinch flats
    > to vaying degrees - usually at the expensive of ride
    > comfort or speed.
    > The kevlar in road tyres often refers to the "bead"
    > which is the metal or kevlar bits that grip the rim,
    > so to speak. Kevlar belted tyres have a puncture
    > resistant belt under the tread.
    > The only kevlar "belted" tyre I've used is an mtb
    > slick. Vredestein S-Lick. They are damn close to
    > a road tyre except wider. I went 12 months without
    > a puncture on the first set. That's pretty good for me.
    > I'd never do that on road tyres, but I ride more now.
    >
    > hippy

    Excuse me? Vredestein claims not to use kevlar belts in their
    tyres, see
    http://www.vredestein.com/Fietsbanden/Index.asp?TaalID=3

    Alan.

  5. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "Alan Hutchison" <[email protected]
    > hippy wrote:
    > > The only kevlar "belted" tyre I've used is an mtb
    > > slick. Vredestein S-Lick. They are damn close to
    > > a road tyre except wider. I went 12 months without
    > > a puncture on the first set. That's pretty good for me.
    > > I'd never do that on road tyres, but I ride more now.
    > >

    > Excuse me? Vredestein claims not to use kevlar belts in their
    > tyres, see
    > http://www.vredestein.com/Fietsbanden/Index.asp?TaalID=3

    "PRS Puncture Resistance System®
    This patented anti-puncture technology reduces the chance
    of a puncture by up to 90%. Its secret lies in the supple but
    exceptionally tough seperate rubber layer with enhanced
    penetration resistance."

    My bad.. the PRS is indeed an extra layer of rubber
    and NOT kevlar. Whatever it is, it seemed to work
    quite well :)

    Hutchison eh.. ? You don't have a relationship with a
    certain tyre company do you? ;-)

    hippy
    doesn't know his rubber from his kevlar

  6. Jhikers

    Jhikers New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 1, 2004
    Try:

    VITTORIA Rubino - they retail at about $40-50 per tyre and a new pair of those can ride through anything!! Smashed bottles and all. There is also a foldable version - the Rubino Pro, costs around $70, but I haven't tried those.

    or

    CONTINENTAL Four Seasons - My brother was recommending these to me for years, I finally got a pair about 2 months ago and they are sensational. Cost a little more - about $90, but puncture resistant and have been awesome!
    My brother's friend has been using them for 3 years and hasn't had a puncture in that time.

    HOWEVER, not many tyres will ever stop a big nail or screw from ruining your ride.

    Also, as the tyre wears down over time - and the running-line (centre) of it flattens out, this means the tyre is thinning out and glass will get through, so just keep an eye out and get a new tyre when necessary. A front tyre will usually last as long as two rear ones.

  7. HughMann

    HughMann New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004
    Have had a good run with "Specialized All Condition Armadillo" slicks, they also come in other tread patterns.
    700 x 28 are $50 from LBS here in Townsville.
    Being a "belt and braces" type I also use Mr Huffy ? orange tape. To be sure, To be sure. Dont know if its correct but a couple of the local MTB ppl advised me NOT to use Earth Tape, reckon it doesnt work.

    Url for manufacturer and text below is from link to Armadillo Technology. Doesnt mention Kevlar but I dont care because they work for me.
    Here we have those huge bindies - goats heads - three cornerd jacks or whatever. Also, fav passtime of local rednecks is throwing stubbies from moving cars so there is HEAPS of broken glass on the side of roads. Weekly job to go over tyres and dig out the small shards. Regardless I still carry spare tube and repair stuff.

    Very Puncture Resistant Road Tyre

    http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=10402&JServSessionIdroot=7v507j0z7o.j27008

    QUOTE
    "Our most flat resistant tire with bead to bead flat protection. Co-developed with engineers from DuPont®, the next-generation Specialized Armadillo tire family combines the smooth, long-wearing ride of a performance tire with three proven flat-protection technologies.

    A DuPont aramid subtread barrier provides bead-to-bead protection. A second aramid barrier impregnated with an aramid-engineered elastomer seals all gaps in the fabric weave. Finally, a new synthetic cap ply material uses a lightweight version of the latest offroad motorcycle racing technology to prevent sidewall cuts"

    Cheers
    Hugh

  8. Andrew Berry

    Andrew Berry Guest

    > "Lach" <[email protected]
    >> Hi all
    >> Suffered my first puncture yesterday and vowed to get puncture proof
    >> tyres - do they really exist for road bikes? Are the Kevlar tyres
    >> effective at stopping punctures, and if so any recommendations?

    As others have said, there's no such thing as puncture proof. Your
    choice of tyre will depend on your bike and the way you use it. I've
    previously done roughly 4000km on a Continental Top Tourer tyre without
    punctures, but I don't think they come in anything thinner than a 28c,
    so don't fit lots of road bikes. There was a bit of luck in that too.
    Some tips:

    - keep your tyres properly inflated. This is a major cause of
    punctures. If you don't have one, invest in a floor pump with a decent
    pressure guage. It makes it so much easier to keep your tyres inflated
    that you actually check them regularly.
    - always carry a spare tube. You'll be amazed how quickly you can get
    the tyre off and replace the tube if there's no glue, drying time etc.
    I typically have four tubes: two on the bike, one in my bag or back
    pocket, and one at home that I'm repairing or has been repaired.
    - strong sidewalls can give you a somewhat harsher ride, but you avoid
    pinch flats. This is particularly important if you're heavy, carry a
    load, or are an habitual gutter jumper.
    - belted tyres or tyre liners (i.e. Mr Tuffys) certainly help, but so
    does a heavier tyre. If you're not obsessed with weight, you can often
    buy a cheaper, heavier tyre to address the problem. That said, there
    is a reason why a good bike tyre costs $45. Your choice.

    Ciao,

    AndyB

  9. Bikesoiler

    Bikesoiler New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2003
    Aramid = Kevlar

  10. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > Lach Wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all
    >>Suffered my first puncture yesterday and vowed to get puncture proof
    >>tyres - do they really exist for road bikes? Are the Kevlar tyres
    >>effective at stopping punctures, and if so any recommendations?

    > Dunno. I had some of them "Kevlar' red-striped Michelins which were
    > reputed to be great but turned out to be the worst tyres ever! Changed
    > to Michelin 'Carbons' (Yello stripes) and have found them to be fast,
    > grippy (wet and dry) and 15,000k later not one puncture!!!
    >
    > Oh oh here comes the...
    > http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/pf_1.gif

    The tyre is 15000km, not out?

    Come to think of it, you do seem to just float along the road :)

    --
    Nick

  11. L'acrobat

    L'acrobat Guest

    I've used Metro Duros for years with no punctures.

    news:[email protected]

  12. On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:33:21 +0000, L'acrobat wrote:

    > I've used Metro Duros for years with no punctures.
    >

    > "Lach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> Hi all
    >> Suffered my first puncture yesterday and vowed to get puncture proof
    >> tyres - do they really exist for road bikes? Are the Kevlar tyres
    >> effective at stopping punctures, and if so any recommendations?
    >>

    >> --
    >> Lach

    I've use continental t2000 for 4 years. Very few punctures. the last 2
    front tires lasted 17,000km each.

    John V