Kevlar tyres - puncture proof?

Lach

New Member
Nov 14, 2004
Hi all
Suffered my first puncture yesterday and vowed to get puncture proof tyres - do they really exist for road bikes? Are the Kevlar tyres effective at stopping punctures, and if so any recommendations?

"Lach" <[email protected]
> Hi all
> Suffered my first puncture yesterday and vowed to get puncture proof
> tyres - do they really exist for road bikes? Are the Kevlar tyres
> effective at stopping punctures, and if so any recommendations?

There's no such thing as "puncture proof". Different
tyres and tubes will resist punctures and pinch flats
to vaying degrees - usually at the expensive of ride
comfort or speed.
The kevlar in road tyres often refers to the "bead"
which is the metal or kevlar bits that grip the rim,
so to speak. Kevlar belted tyres have a puncture
resistant belt under the tread.
The only kevlar "belted" tyre I've used is an mtb
slick. Vredestein S-Lick. They are damn close to
a road tyre except wider. I went 12 months without
a puncture on the first set. That's pretty good for me.
I'd never do that on road tyres, but I ride more now.

hippy

Lach said:
Hi all
Suffered my first puncture yesterday and vowed to get puncture proof tyres - do they really exist for road bikes? Are the Kevlar tyres effective at stopping punctures, and if so any recommendations?

Dunno. I had some of them "Kevlar' red-striped Michelins which were reputed to be great but turned out to be the worst tyres ever! Changed to Michelin 'Carbons' (Yello stripes) and have found them to be fast, grippy (wet and dry) and 15,000k later not one puncture!!!

Oh oh here comes the...
http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/pf_1.gif

hippy wrote:

> There's no such thing as "puncture proof". Different
> tyres and tubes will resist punctures and pinch flats
> to vaying degrees - usually at the expensive of ride
> comfort or speed.
> The kevlar in road tyres often refers to the "bead"
> which is the metal or kevlar bits that grip the rim,
> so to speak. Kevlar belted tyres have a puncture
> resistant belt under the tread.
> The only kevlar "belted" tyre I've used is an mtb
> slick. Vredestein S-Lick. They are damn close to
> a road tyre except wider. I went 12 months without
> a puncture on the first set. That's pretty good for me.
> I'd never do that on road tyres, but I ride more now.
>
> hippy

Excuse me? Vredestein claims not to use kevlar belts in their
tyres, see
http://www.vredestein.com/Fietsbanden/Index.asp?TaalID=3

Alan.

"Alan Hutchison" <[email protected]
> hippy wrote:
> > The only kevlar "belted" tyre I've used is an mtb
> > slick. Vredestein S-Lick. They are damn close to
> > a road tyre except wider. I went 12 months without
> > a puncture on the first set. That's pretty good for me.
> > I'd never do that on road tyres, but I ride more now.
> >

> Excuse me? Vredestein claims not to use kevlar belts in their
> tyres, see
> http://www.vredestein.com/Fietsbanden/Index.asp?TaalID=3

"PRS Puncture Resistance System®
This patented anti-puncture technology reduces the chance
of a puncture by up to 90%. Its secret lies in the supple but
exceptionally tough seperate rubber layer with enhanced
penetration resistance."

My bad.. the PRS is indeed an extra layer of rubber
and NOT kevlar. Whatever it is, it seemed to work
quite well :)

Hutchison eh.. ? You don't have a relationship with a
certain tyre company do you? ;-)

hippy
doesn't know his rubber from his kevlar

Try:

VITTORIA Rubino - they retail at about $40-50 per tyre and a new pair of those can ride through anything!! Smashed bottles and all. There is also a foldable version - the Rubino Pro, costs around $70, but I haven't tried those.

or

CONTINENTAL Four Seasons - My brother was recommending these to me for years, I finally got a pair about 2 months ago and they are sensational. Cost a little more - about $90, but puncture resistant and have been awesome!
My brother's friend has been using them for 3 years and hasn't had a puncture in that time.

HOWEVER, not many tyres will ever stop a big nail or screw from ruining your ride.

Also, as the tyre wears down over time - and the running-line (centre) of it flattens out, this means the tyre is thinning out and glass will get through, so just keep an eye out and get a new tyre when necessary. A front tyre will usually last as long as two rear ones.

Lach said:
Hi all
Suffered my first puncture yesterday and vowed to get puncture proof tyres - do they really exist for road bikes? Are the Kevlar tyres effective at stopping punctures, and if so any recommendations?

Have had a good run with "Specialized All Condition Armadillo" slicks, they also come in other tread patterns.
700 x 28 are $50 from LBS here in Townsville.
Being a "belt and braces" type I also use Mr Huffy ? orange tape. To be sure, To be sure. Dont know if its correct but a couple of the local MTB ppl advised me NOT to use Earth Tape, reckon it doesnt work.

Url for manufacturer and text below is from link to Armadillo Technology. Doesnt mention Kevlar but I dont care because they work for me.
Here we have those huge bindies - goats heads - three cornerd jacks or whatever. Also, fav passtime of local rednecks is throwing stubbies from moving cars so there is HEAPS of broken glass on the side of roads. Weekly job to go over tyres and dig out the small shards. Regardless I still carry spare tube and repair stuff.

Very Puncture Resistant Road Tyre

http://www.specialized.com/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=10402&JServSessionIdroot=7v507j0z7o.j27008

QUOTE
"Our most flat resistant tire with bead to bead flat protection. Co-developed with engineers from DuPont®, the next-generation Specialized Armadillo tire family combines the smooth, long-wearing ride of a performance tire with three proven flat-protection technologies.

A DuPont aramid subtread barrier provides bead-to-bead protection. A second aramid barrier impregnated with an aramid-engineered elastomer seals all gaps in the fabric weave. Finally, a new synthetic cap ply material uses a lightweight version of the latest offroad motorcycle racing technology to prevent sidewall cuts"

Cheers
Hugh

> "Lach" <[email protected]
>> Hi all
>> Suffered my first puncture yesterday and vowed to get puncture proof
>> tyres - do they really exist for road bikes? Are the Kevlar tyres
>> effective at stopping punctures, and if so any recommendations?

As others have said, there's no such thing as puncture proof. Your
choice of tyre will depend on your bike and the way you use it. I've
previously done roughly 4000km on a Continental Top Tourer tyre without
punctures, but I don't think they come in anything thinner than a 28c,
so don't fit lots of road bikes. There was a bit of luck in that too.
Some tips:

- keep your tyres properly inflated. This is a major cause of
punctures. If you don't have one, invest in a floor pump with a decent
pressure guage. It makes it so much easier to keep your tyres inflated
that you actually check them regularly.
- always carry a spare tube. You'll be amazed how quickly you can get
the tyre off and replace the tube if there's no glue, drying time etc.
I typically have four tubes: two on the bike, one in my bag or back
pocket, and one at home that I'm repairing or has been repaired.
- strong sidewalls can give you a somewhat harsher ride, but you avoid
pinch flats. This is particularly important if you're heavy, carry a
load, or are an habitual gutter jumper.
- belted tyres or tyre liners (i.e. Mr Tuffys) certainly help, but so
does a heavier tyre. If you're not obsessed with weight, you can often
buy a cheaper, heavier tyre to address the problem. That said, there
is a reason why a good bike tyre costs $45. Your choice.

Ciao,

AndyB

HughMann said:
<snip>

Doesnt mention Kevlar.....
<snip>

A DuPont aramid subtread barrier provides bead-to-bead protection. A second aramid barrier impregnated with an aramid-engineered elastomer ......
<snip>

Cheers
Hugh

Aramid = Kevlar

flyingdutch wrote:
> Lach Wrote:
>
>>Hi all
>>Suffered my first puncture yesterday and vowed to get puncture proof
>>tyres - do they really exist for road bikes? Are the Kevlar tyres
>>effective at stopping punctures, and if so any recommendations?

> Dunno. I had some of them "Kevlar' red-striped Michelins which were
> reputed to be great but turned out to be the worst tyres ever! Changed
> to Michelin 'Carbons' (Yello stripes) and have found them to be fast,
> grippy (wet and dry) and 15,000k later not one puncture!!!
>
> Oh oh here comes the...
> http://home.iprimus.com.au/adenhollander/pf_1.gif

The tyre is 15000km, not out?

Come to think of it, you do seem to just float along the road :)

--
Nick

I've used Metro Duros for years with no punctures.

news:[email protected]...

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:33:21 +0000, L'acrobat wrote:

> I've used Metro Duros for years with no punctures.
>

> "Lach" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Hi all
>> Suffered my first puncture yesterday and vowed to get puncture proof
>> tyres - do they really exist for road bikes? Are the Kevlar tyres
>> effective at stopping punctures, and if so any recommendations?
>>

>> --
>> Lach

I've use continental t2000 for 4 years. Very few punctures. the last 2
front tires lasted 17,000km each.

John V