Kew Crit 1.12.04

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by flyingdutch, Dec 1, 2004.

  1. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Another big number for DGrade - 30-35? (hopeless at crowd numbers).
    Some of the younguns seem to be gone this week. ha!.
    First few laps stayed in the middle, then moved up to front 10.
    Found it quite easy staying as far right and late as possible to pick up a few places each time round the hairpin.
    Same ol same ol. Cgrade come past and the front group of Dgrade jump as they approach/pass and that's it!
    This was about 15min mark (C grade were definetly going slower this week) and I actually managed to stay with them this time!
    At the 20-25min mark a group of about 5-6 of us were suddenly alone!
    Not sure what happened??? Oh well. knew the faces and we were all the same ones who get dropped each week. go round and round with the same 3-4 faces. tried jumping with 4 laps to go but cant keep ou the front for more than a lap and sit back in with them. A few slowly drop back from that lead group. 3 laps to go and there's 3 of us left (in our 'back' bunch).
    Im sittin at the back, hopeing the legs will find some juice for the final sprint.
    Penultimute lap and the Leaders of Dgrade cross the finish line just behind us. Another first – not lapped by Dgrade! OK. now let's try and hang in for some pathetic bit of backmarker glory :)
    suckin wheel and making sur eto do that final hairpin cleanly.
    The other 2 stand and wind it up halfway up the hill. Im standing and hanging on. Oh-oh, i aint gonna get past em like this! Change up 2 gears and stomp. gettin em! Oh sh1t. here come Cgrade. the other 2 baulk so i goes round the left for cheat's sprint. hehehe
    36min
    21km
    Ave 35kph
    Apparently the leaders were 36kph (big wind slowed things down today)
    gettin there! Lapped a mate, Giordy and made another. Fellow forum post'er – Gary, was it? Lad has done well for only his 2nd go. Now gary just needs to come on a BR :D

    Tags:

  2. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    Great job - one of the best things about riding in these races is finding that little bit of improvement each time.

    Here's some free (value for money) advice. If you can avoid having to do an all out sprint to stay on someone's wheel when accelerating out of a corner, it helps a lot for later in the race. It may be worthwhile allowing a bike length or two, in exchange for a smoother effort. Try giving a 95% effort for 20s instead of a 105% effort for 10s and you last longer!

    Go you good thing!

    Ritch

  3. kyra

    kyra New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2003

    Dutchy, that is a great fantastic rendition of d grades events! how do you keep up 35km/h for 36mins??!?!?!

  4. hippy

    hippy Guest

    > flyingdutch Wrote:
    > > same ones who get dropped each week. go round and round with the same
    > > 3-4 faces. tried jumping with 4 laps to go but cant keep ou the front
    > > for more than a lap and sit back in with them. A few slowly drop back

    Dunno why I didn't get your original post.. anyway... what
    are you doing jumping with 4 to go? Are you mad?! ;-)
    Sounds like you're getting faster anyway. What's with the
    others jumping onto C? Are they actually sticking with the
    C bunch or just attacking when C passes?

    hippy

  5. I can answer that. They "tried" to get past us, but could not "quite"
    make it. Their efforts resulted in them sitting on behind us fior
    quite a few laps, before finally getting through with the call of three
    to go. Hence they really should be in C grade next week. All of them !

  6. hippy

    hippy Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I can answer that. They "tried" to get past us, but could not "quite"
    > make it. Their efforts resulted in them sitting on behind us fior
    > quite a few laps, before finally getting through with the call of three
    > to go. Hence they really should be in C grade next week. All of them !

    You guys need to speak to the race director.. squeaky
    cyclist gets the grease?

    hippy

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    jumped with 4 to go to try and shake the 2 i was with!
    wasnt sure if i had energy for a sprint up that hill (altho 'the jump' basically was!). didnt matter. was dead half a lap later :rolleyes:

    The leading D's do this EVERY week! They usually attack as C come up to us. quite often it happens in the leadup to the hairpin so they get away very easily. Its like clockwork. I have ridden in 9 crits at kew now and it has happened in every single one. Might sound abit better coming from you Cgraders who witness this. Just will sound like a slow Dgrader whingeing if i do it...

  8. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "kyra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > flyingdutch Wrote:
    > > Another big number for DGrade - 30-35? (hopeless at crowd numbers).
    > > Some of the younguns seem to be gone this week. ha!.
    > > First few laps stayed in the middle, then moved up to front 10.
    > > Found it quite easy staying as far right and late as possible to pick
    > > up a few places each time round the hairpin.
    > > Same ol same ol. Cgrade come past and the front group of Dgrade jump as
    > > they approach/pass and that's it!
    > > This was about 15min mark (C grade were definetly going slower this
    > > week) and I actually managed to stay with them this time!
    > > At the 20-25min mark a group of about 5-6 of us were suddenly alone!
    > > Not sure what happened??? Oh well. knew the faces and we were all the
    > > same ones who get dropped each week. go round and round with the same
    > > 3-4 faces. tried jumping with 4 laps to go but cant keep ou the front
    > > for more than a lap and sit back in with them. A few slowly drop back
    > > from that lead group. 3 laps to go and there's 3 of us left (in our
    > > 'back' bunch).
    > > Im sittin at the back, hopeing the legs will find some juice for the
    > > final sprint.
    > > Penultimute lap and the Leaders of Dgrade cross the finish line just
    > > behind us. Another first - not lapped by Dgrade! OK. now let's try and
    > > hang in for some pathetic bit of backmarker glory :)
    > > suckin wheel and making sur eto do that final hairpin cleanly.
    > > The other 2 stand and wind it up halfway up the hill. Im standing and
    > > hanging on. Oh-oh, i aint gonna get past em like this! Change up 2
    > > gears and stomp. gettin em! Oh sh1t. here come Cgrade. the other 2
    > > baulk so i goes round the left for cheat's sprint. hehehe
    > > 36min
    > > 21km
    > > Ave 35kph
    > > Apparently the leaders were 36kph (big wind slowed things down today)
    > > gettin there! Lapped a mate, Giordy and made another. Fellow forum
    > > post'er - Gary, was it? Lad has done well for only his 2nd go. Now gary
    > > just needs to come on a BR :D

    > Dutchy, that is a great fantastic rendition of d grades events! how do
    > you keep up 35km/h for 36mins??!?!?!
    > --
    > kyra

    I got my CA licence in the mail today.......I am keen to have a look at the
    Kew crits next week.....what time do they start??

    Ride On,

    Gags

  9. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    6pm. can sign up after 5pm. you can proceed to tow me around the circuit for the proceeding 30+ minutes :D :D :D
    There was a big bugger i was gonna wheelsuck but he was so 'all-over-the-place' it was more dangerous than it was worth!

  10. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]

    > Gags Wrote:
    > >
    > > I got my CA licence in the mail today.......I am keen to have a look at
    > > the Kew crits next week.....what time do they start??
    > >

    > 6pm. can sign up after 5pm. you can proceed to tow me around the
    > circuit for the proceeding 30+ minutes :D :D :D
    > There was a big bugger i was gonna wheelsuck but he was so
    > 'all-over-the-place' it was more dangerous than it was worth!
    >

    > --
    > flyingdutch

    What's it worth if I lead out for you all race and set you up for a win??

  11. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Does that mean every single Crit is scored the same way. Different point schemes make for variety.
    A point for the first each lap + 3/2/1 at the end is EVIL! :)

  12. craigster_jd

    craigster_jd New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2004
    It was me actually! It definitely felt like a big improvement over last week - especially as you say we survived without being lapped.

    Unfortunately my final lap was a bit of a debarcle. Someone behind me yelled 'Keep left of C grade!', but what I didn't realise was that they were talking to the D-graders finishing behind us. I went to the left, and got trapped on the inside of the corner by C grade, whilst the rest of the D-graders went right (including Dutchy) and managed to sail on through riding on their coat tails. Damn you all. I managed to catch them by the hairpin but the hill finished me off and for the second week in a row I was staring at the back of Dutchy crossing the line a couple of lengths in front of me.

    Anyway nice to meet you - and I even caught a Hippy sighting (complaining about bruised ribs and 24 hour races or something) :)

    I will be out for a BR soon - maybe even this week if I can work out where Doncaster Shoppingtown is.

    Cheers,
    Craigster.

  13. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    hey, I resemble that remark! :D
    I stayed left, about 5m to your left. you and the other guy got swamped on the right and i saw the space and went left, honest. Approx 8th???

  14. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "craigster_jd" <[email protected]
    > Unfortunately my final lap was a bit of a debarcle. Someone behind me
    > yelled 'Keep left of C grade!', but what I didn't realise was that they
    > were talking to the D-graders finishing behind us. I went to the left,

    In the case of one grade finishing, ie. sprinting for the line, I thought
    it was up to the other grades to stay out of their way? Even though
    D is slower, it makes more sense for C grade to keep out of D's
    way if they are sprinting. C grade should have moved over, not the
    other way around.. comments anyone?

    > Anyway nice to meet you - and I even caught a Hippy sighting
    > (complaining about bruised ribs and 24 hour races or something) :)

    What am I? Sasquatch or something? ;-)
    ( actually I AM big and kinda hairy! :-D )

    hippy

  15. craigster_jd

    craigster_jd New Member

    Joined: